Chugs electric day!!!!!! I would like ideas on how to hunt a site!!!!!

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Red and I went to out to our land Lady's house today!!! She had some electrical things that needed to be fixed and installed While red was Inside chatting and cooking!!!!! Chug was out side in the garage!!!! ( Normal LOL ) Installing a motion light !!!! Now her neighbors can see if any one is driving in!!!!! When i finished all of my Chug can you do this List I went inside for a cold beer and some chatting!!!!!

we found out that her house was built in the early forty's And when she moved in there was an old Log cabin on the property that was unsafe so she had her husband remove it!!! She is looking for the pictures! the front door was facing the river!!!!!! Where do i start detecting!!!!!!She said there were three rooms pretty good size for a cabin!!!! she showed me the general location but because being in her eighty's i was not going to let her go any further!!!!

Has any one ever hunted a old log cabin site!!!!

Any help would be appreciated!!!!!

HH Chug and Red

P>S we are going to do a little research of the area before i start detecting It !!! Chug

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I sorry about this being vague and not giving a specific location My landlady is very special to me and red and her family, friends and Armed neighbors!!!! Im going to start detecting the area soon but i have to call her Neighbor first so I wont get shot at!!!!! The next weekend after the rain lets up and Im there!!!!!

bootybay

Gold Member
Aug 9, 2007
NJ
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
EXCAL 2, SOV. GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh man oh man are you gonna have fun on this one.. :thumbsup:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well if she gave you the general location of the cabin, I'd hit the area with a quick sweep in all metal mode til I start finding square nails, door hardware, etc. Then figure out where the front may have been and slow down the sweep. Maybe those folks sat in chairs in the evening, maybe a campfire burning, enjoying the scenery, kids romping around losing their toys. Could be a relic bonanza!!! Who knows....maybe a cache burried nearby. Kids playin pirate make a stash somewhere, poppa hiding his booze money from mama...

Love sites like that...let the imagination soar!

Al

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Bootybay said:
oh man oh man are you gonna have fun on this one.. :thumbsup:

Its a great property, Even thirty five Years later you can tell where the cabin stood!!!!

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You may not have time for it, but do not overlook the outhouse site. There maybe more than one, as if the place was there for a while, the outhouse might be moved. Sometimes we moved ours, sometimes they stayed in the same spot forever. I witnessed a relocation of an outhouse when I was small, and I didn't know why, but I did get the impression that grandpa thought it was an overall pain in the a**, so maybe it was somethin grandma wanted. So check for multiple depressions. Not really a detecting site per se, but more of an archeological dig. Here in the mountains I have notice they sometimes dug pits for trash disposal. (But many times the miners just threw the stuff down the mountain.) I have also seen a lot of these trash pits have been dug up and stuff scattered everywhere by bottle hunters. Good hunting, and probably dig everything.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Let's assume this property is in Clark County, WA for beginners. The obvious place to start is at the Clark County Tax Assessor's office, where you want to locate previous owners of this property.

But in order to do that effectively, you will first need to know the exact description of the property involved. Section, Township, quarter section: I hope you already know this drill, but if you don't, you need to get some map-reading skills quickly.

Once you know the current Tax Lot #, you should be able to find previous owners of the property. Somewhere in their past will be a reference to a Log Cabin: that's the location and approximate site you need to find.

Where to search afterwards? Well, any pioneer who built a log cabin (pre-1880, mostly) is first looking for a good farmable land site with some building-material trees nearby. It doesn't hurt to have a spring or seep nearby for fresh water, too. Check in front of the front door, near the water source, and garden areas: these are where a pioneer might reasonably expect to bury valuables. Look especially for section posts and fences that might have been present: good spots to look for post-hole caches, where a loose fence post could be quickly removed, coins deposited or removed, and the post replaced without anyone being the wiser.

The outhouse has already been mentioned. Where were the clothes washed and dried? Clotheslines are important hunting locations. How about a root cellar? How did the family store food? Check there too. In fact, check any location which was hidden from any nearby roads: that means usually inside a frame structure (barn? house? root cellar? shed?).

That should give you enough to get started on, anyway.

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RGINN said:
You may not have time for it, but do not overlook the outhouse site. There maybe more than one, as if the place was there for a while, the outhouse might be moved. Sometimes we moved ours, sometimes they stayed in the same spot forever. I witnessed a relocation of an outhouse when I was small, and I didn't know why, but I did get the impression that grandpa thought it was an overall pain in the a**, so maybe it was somethin grandma wanted. So check for multiple depressions. Not really a detecting site per se, but more of an archeological dig. Here in the mountains I have notice they sometimes dug pits for trash disposal. (But many times the miners just threw the stuff down the mountain.) I have also seen a lot of these trash pits have been dug up and stuff scattered everywhere by bottle hunters. Good hunting, and probably dig everything.

She mentioned seeing bottles and other stuff about 40 feet from the cabin on the left rear corner sound about right down wind!!!!!!

OP
OP
Chug And Red

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used

Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Tuberale said:
Let's assume this property is in Clark County, WA for beginners. The obvious place to start is at the Clark County Tax Assessor's office, where you want to locate previous owners of this property.

But in order to do that effectively, you will first need to know the exact description of the property involved. Section, Township, quarter section: I hope you already know this drill, but if you don't, you need to get some map-reading skills quickly.

Once you know the current Tax Lot #, you should be able to find previous owners of the property. Somewhere in their past will be a reference to a Log Cabin: that's the location and approximate site you need to find.

Where to search afterwards? Well, any pioneer who built a log cabin (pre-1880, mostly) is first looking for a good farmable land site with some building-material trees nearby. It doesn't hurt to have a spring or seep nearby for fresh water, too. Check in front of the front door, near the water source, and garden areas: these are where a pioneer might reasonably expect to bury valuables. Look especially for section posts and fences that might have been present: good spots to look for post-hole caches, where a loose fence post could be quickly removed, coins deposited or removed, and the post replaced without anyone being the wiser.

The outhouse has already been mentioned. Where were the clothes washed and dried? Clotheslines are important hunting locations. How about a root cellar? How did the family store food? Check there too. In fact, check any location which was hidden from any nearby roads: that means usually inside a frame structure (barn? house? root cellar? shed?).

That should give you enough to get started on, anyway.

I Will check it out thank you so much when she purchased the Property she had it split in to 2 lots 2.5 acres each she still owns both this should keep me busy for a while!!!!! Now is the time i wish i had a good detector the can handle the rain!!!!! Map reading is not a problem here and the older satilite views help now its time to get the other info i need thank you for the lead!!! HH chug I cant wait to do my first hunt of the area even if i dont have all of the info first!!!! just to get an idea of the potential!!! HH Chug

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions