Treasure hunting with your Digital Camera and Infrared lenses

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
I'm not familiar with some of the "science". This guy buries 4 gold coins in his yard for two years. After two years, using his digital camera and a dark lens filter, he takes a photograph of his yard. When he downloads the photo to his computer, it is dark, but he is able to enhance it so that a golden area appears in the grass. The golden grassy area appears to be a circle of about 2-3 feet in diameter. He states that the gold is located within the golden grassy area, and uses a tape measure from the lens to the area to direct his digging.

I'd sure like to hear more scientific details.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Please read my byline.

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I watched the video several times, and I have concluded (in my opinion), that what I saw was a hoax based on logic, and the deduction of reasoning....First of all, he is selling a book....what does that tell you? Second, when he was digging the hole, why didn't he use a pinpointer to find the coins? Third, if you watch really good and close, he kinda freaks out momentarily when he can't find the coins....Fourth, I don't know how old the gold coins are (I am ignorant of when British Sovereigns were made), but they sure did LQQK pristine from coming out of the ground....especially the type of soil he was digging in....Fifth, I am not a wizard with photography, but why the smoke/dark colored lens on the camera? Sixth, according to his theory in the video, some how, some way, the coins were able to leach into the soil, rise to the surface, and make a huge "golden" area on the grass....I never knew Gold could do such a thing (smile)....Hey....I will still keep an open mind, and if anyone would like to correct me, it would be appreciated....SushiDog

SushiDog

Oct 5, 2010
Sacramento, California
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Sand Shark (Under water unit)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't appreciate the words "not sure" being deleted from my post...why deleted?

BubbaJon

Greenie
Nov 29, 2009
Austin, TX
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Cortes
LOL - what a load of BS! The "dark filter" he refers to is an infrared filter. It appears he's trying to be coy so he can sell his book on exactly what he uses. Note that he has a small point-n-shoot that he starts out his discussion but a digital SLR when he goes to actually do the demo. The premise is pure hokum. He's trying to say that something buried probably has greater density and somehow will hold and radiate more heat (a form of infrared). In actuality the whole area is at equilibrium - if you have a penny in a glass of ice water in a short bit they will be at the same temp. Anyway, the ONLY infrared the camera will record will be that which is reflected - that sort of IR does not penetrate so it won't warm any specific subsurface target first - even if it did record temperature differentials the IR starts with the surface and heats the subsurface by conduction. Note that the IR he recorded on the camera was basically the entire area of the back yard illuminated by sunshine. Duh!!! The sun warms the earth more there sure but what we are recording is ONLY the reflected sunlight/IR. Then he picks an arbitrary line - which you know dang well he already knew where it lay and uses a metal detector to pinpoint. LOL - given toting a laptop in the field, setup, playing with camera and data then a silly measuring tape - you could just cover that ground in less time with the detector. Last note - I sure wouldn't want HIM digging in my backyard - what a mess...

jrandy

Jan 13, 2010
San Angelo TX
Detector(s) used
Garrett GPT 1350, Predator
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
WOW and he has written a book to tell the world how to find gold? I think I would keep that under my hat . LOL can't stop laughing . :laughing9:

karslake

Greenie
Sep 23, 2006
I get to thinking that Thermal imaging with flir fluke dewalt etc. evenings of a sunny day may spot shalow tiny spots of thermal differences or big sized metal objects somewhat deeper.. but I doubt if much too deep.. only as deep as the sun may warm the object enough for the gadget to clearly define it . I have not tried it .. but what I have definately heard is that taking a snapshot of an area exactly when the sun is disappearing on the horizon.. ( any horizon ) some kind of glitch may appear in such photo indicating a spot where a treasure may be .(totally uncientific). Heard this more that thirty years back when photos were on paper. Have also heard that some people are doing this with normal digital cameras specially when some of them have color enhancements and the like.

Nickleanddime

Jul 21, 2013
a, ohio
Detector(s) used
A $10 garage sale find.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know..... It makes sense. If the sun is hot enough the yeah. It would problay work great in the desert since the surface temp would drop quick and anything under would be insulated. Great post!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread