Going to a "seeded hunt" Saturday...any tips or advice?

Company F

Mar 16, 2009
Nashville, TN
Detector(s) used
White's MXT/White's Classic IDX/Fisher F2
Going to a "seeded hunt" Saturday...any tips or advice?

On Saturday 10/16/10 my metal detecting club is having it's annual "seeded" hunt. In case you don't know what that is, it's where targets are planted by club members for us to find. There are several contests all day long and a nice meal at lunchtime. There will be coins, tokens and relics. The tokens will be traded in for prizes. This will be my first seeded hunt. Any advice or tips will be greatly appreciated.

Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: Going to a "seeded hunt" Saturday...any tips or advice?

Hurry!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Hunt fast and don't spend any time looking at what you found. Just put what you find away and keep hunting. At the end of the hunt then you can look at what you have. Remember they are only planting so many finds so you are competing with other club members to find as many as you can. Club hunts are a lot of fun and a good way to get some fast silver. Let us know how you did.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

only dig shallow targets. I use my pinpointer on top of the ground and it makes it so easy to then find the targets.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Remember this is a seeded hunt. Al targets will be on top of the ground. You should not have to dig for anything if you are in a park. Now if you are on a beach make sure you have your sand scoop with you. Hunt fast and good luck. Let us know how you do.....Matt

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Speed is the name of this game! Go as fast as you physically can go. I look like a lunatic when I competition hunt. :tongue3:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Speed, Speed, Speed....... :icon_thumright: ..................... Also a multifreq detector is a HUGE advantage. I picked up the Fisher 1235X just for seeded hunt. It has multiple freqencies in .5 intervals on a knob I can move while detecting if I pick up any interference from other detectors which you will....If it is a beach hunt, pick up a sand basket, it is well worth it......

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010

Other than for attracting youth/newcomers to the hobby, what is the point of this? It's like fishing in a pond stocked the week before with trout that will not survive anyway. I don't get it. Just sayin....

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

bigcreekdad said:
Other than for attracting youth/newcomers to the hobby, what is the point of this? It's like fishing in a pond stocked the week before with trout that will not survive anyway. I don't get it. Just sayin....

Usually tokens are buried for prizes.....I attended the last 4 years of the Great Southern Beach Shootout and they were a blast. 7 seeded hunts spread over 3 days with over $15,000 in prizes included a $5000 first prize.....Unfortunately they are no longer held but they were a lot of fun.....

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

I see you are in Nashville. I used to belong to the MTMDC when I lived there. Great club. You will have a blast there. That is a great bunch of hunters you have there. Just remember to move fast and collect as many targets as possible. We all can't wait to hear how your first club hunt goes. Our club hunt is next weekend. At our last hunt I found over 40 silver coins. Most were mercs, barbers and quarters. I did get one peace dollar and some halves. Well worth my $25 entry fee. Have fun. That is what it is all about.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

big creek, I try to hunt all the local club hunts around here just for the practice and fun of it. It is usually very competative and there are a lot of neat prizes. It also gives me the opportunity to meet many new friends and enjoy the company of those with like interests. A few times I have got into a really good hunting location by being invited by people I have met at the seeded hunts. And perhaps more importantly, it makes a few bucks for the sponsoring club. Try it, you'll like it. Monty

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

Monty said:
big creek, I try to hunt all the local club hunts around here just for the practice and fun of it. It is usually very competative and there are a lot of neat prizes. It also gives me the opportunity to meet many new friends and enjoy the company of those with like interests. A few times I have got into a really good hunting location by being invited by people I have met at the seeded hunts. And perhaps more importantly, it makes a few bucks for the sponsoring club. Try it, you'll like it. Monty

I agree. Club hunts are a lot of fun and a great way to to get some extra coinage. Naturally we all would like to find them in the field while we are hunting but it is still a great thrill to compete in a club hunt once or twice a year and find some additional silver. A lot of clubs give away new metal detectors as prizes as well.

bigcreekdad

May 14, 2010

Excellent points, especially about meeting fellow hunters. I stand corrected!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread