Laws and Rules about Treasure hunting or prospecting in Australia

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
When you say "are visitors allowed ...." do you mean, as in ........ are they treated differently than Austrailians are? I mean, if locals do it there (nugget hunting is big there, and goes on all the time), do you think a "visitor" would be treated differently? Perhaps someone cards individuals out in the field, to see if they're a visitor, verses a resident? I don't think so :)

A buddy of mine traveled ghost towns, old parks, etc... there and got silver coins about everywhere he went. He says that the Austrailian md'rs are almost exclusively nugget hunters. Not many coin/relic hunters, relatively speaking. So he found the parks to be riddled with coins, and common (1940s type losses) silver. He even got an 1850s gold coin near a Light House.

OP
OP
A

angel_09

Jul 8, 2005
Hi Tom,

Thanks for the reply. What I meant for visitor is 'those who are not resident' in the country, like tourist.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I don't know if this is true, but I read somewhere that you can only hunt with permission

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I have not heard of any country holding out different rules for locales, verses tourists, when it comes to metal detecting. To uphold such a thing, are there regulators/officials that wander the countrysides, carding people with detectors, to see what their country of origin is? :dontknow: As I say, detecting is big over there, so obviously, it's common-place. Check with dealers over there,, and see if their customers (locals) have some special priveleges, that non-austrailans don't. :icon_scratch: All the major manufacturers will have their dealers listed on their website. Simply look to see the listings for ones in Austraila, call them, and ask.

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can't believe the Aussies are up tight......................

Wildcat

Oct 14, 2009
Queensland
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT 2 x Gold Snoops Whites Bullseye Pinpointer
I have been hunting in Australia and New Zealand since 1976 and never had a problem anywhere. Only places off limits are National Parks. (The bl##**y greenies are trying to create more national parks out of state forests now) (This will only lose them votes)
Obviously asking permission applies, but as to your question, visitors have the same rights as Aussies as regards detecting. Tourist beaches are the best but they have beach cleaning machines and plenty of detector competition. Best to do it late evening. As for relics. I have never been into those except when I find something in the goldfields. We didn't have civil wars here and if I wanted to find lead I just need to go to the dams where people fish and find dozens of sinkers. I have carried my detector on a plane between New Zealand and Australia many times and so long as it is clean (no dirt) you won't have a problem. You may get questioned by customs if it is a brand new machine as they may think you are bringing it in for someone and would be required to pay duty on it.

The Cat
Queensland, Australia. Any more questions, just ask.

brian in oz

Oct 14, 2010
Adelaide
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
There are no special rules for visitors wanting to detect in Australia, as a visitor you have the same rights as me.
Detecting for coins and artifacts does not require a permit but in some states you are required to hold a Miner's Right for detecting for Gold.
In Western Australia a Miner's Right costs $25, our dollar is on a parity with the $US dollar at present. This Miners' Right is a once off lifetime licence and available from any W.A. mines registrar.
In Victoria a Miner's Right is $29.90 for 2 years.
In Queensland you must have a Fossicker's Licence this costs $6.50 for one month or $24.20 for 6 months.
There are laws when detecting for Gold, such as areas covered by mining leases, exploration leases etc. where you need permission of the lease holder, most of this information is on-line, Google the Department of Mines in State you want to visit
No licence is required for South Australia, Northern Territory or New South Wales provided you abide by a few simple rules and are not a professional.
While there is no licence for coin hunting or relic hunting common sense prevails, don't dig up parks etc. It is however illegal to detect in National Parks.
I hope this helps, if you want further info don't be afraid to ask.
Regards, Brian

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread