bounty hunter in pawn shop

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
There's a few different Bounty hunters that have the "II" in their name. But in any case, they're sort of lower end units. And yeah, that'd be about the going rate. Have you searched finished-auctions at Ebay, to see what similar machines sold for? That would be your barometer of what they're going for.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just giving my opinion here,
but I would have to be pretty desperate
to buy a metal detector from a pawn shop.

K

Kentucky Kache

Sally O said:
I had the Bounty Hunter II as a starter and found it worked very well to about 4-5 inches. It was very good on clad near the surface and large objects down to a foot or so. For a pure backup you can't go wrong for cheap money. You really don't want to tie up a grand on a backup. At least I would not. To me a backup is only for when your main machine is broken and in the shop. The backup keeps you from going stir-crazy. It doesn't have to be a great machine. This is how I view it.

Sally

I pretty much agree with Sally, other than her thinking $125.00 is a grand. :wink:

Arizona Bob

Apr 3, 2007
CA-AZ-NV-NM
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTI 2500
Sally O said:
You misunderstood. Some would think you need to spend a grand on a backup. I know the cost of a BH. I didn't want someone to think you needed a top end Whites or something at 1000 dollars. My old BH probably cost no more than 150 dollars and it was very usable.

Heh! Welcome to TNet, Sally O! I understood exactly what you meant. The back-up detector shouldn't cost more than the primary detector. That's just common sense to most of us.

You may as well get used to some people here "misunderstanding" (or twisting) your words...

Bob

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Go in to the pawn shop and look again , there is always a hidden price??? your thinking no there isn't!!! there is Its the price that you offer for it!!!!!! remember when the originally got it the only gave the guy maybe 35.00 I say talk to the workers there and say I have always wanted to try metal detecting would you sell this one for say 100.00 and see what they say!!!!!

HH Chug

OP
OP
suprdave

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
looking at the bottom of the coil it seems to hardly have been used so i think ill take your advice and start somewhere around 75 dollars and see what happens thanks for the info all suprdave

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
suprdave said:
looking at the bottom of the coil it seems to hardly have been used so i think ill take your advice and start somewhere around 75 dollars and see what happens thanks for the info all suprdave

Good luck!!! Chug

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oldcoon has some good advice. I will give you one exception. The pawn shops in Lawton, OK, in the Wichita Mts. There's thousands of treasure stories there and thousands of soldiers who buy metal detectors and find out they don't get rich quick and pawn them. Bought my White's Coin Master Classic I there, in brand new out of the box condition several years ago for $90. (It has paid for itself several times over; my DFX is takin a little longer) The guy at the shop told me they had lots comin in all the time, but so far there was a good market for them. That is probably the only place I would consider a pawn shop a viable place to shop for a MD, though.

OP
OP
suprdave

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I live over in eastern oklahoma and not a long distance from lawton are you saying it might be worth the drive for a better deal and more modesl to choose from suprdave

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
DEALER OF Garrett, & Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Suprdave anything from a pawn shop has no warranty when you buy it its your .ive seen several around here starting at $50.00 & up. I sell tesoro. the compadre would be about 26$ more with a liftime warrenty. and also a great light weight machine. whether you would buy from me or not look into these might be a better way to go

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might look into that Tesoro deal, Suprdave. I've been watchin the results from those on here and they're pretty temptin. And it is great to buy anythin brand new if you can afford it. I couldn't afford a brand new one when I bought mine from a pawn shop. I will say this about warranties. If what you sell me is as good as you say it is, why are you offering a warranty against malfunctions? It's a way to make more money, because if your product is that good nobody will use the warranty. When I buy things from a reputable dealer, I expect them to last. Otherwise, I would go buy a walmart fall apart.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here's my view. First look at what you can afford to pay. That's the prime factor. If you only have enough to buy a low line detector, look for a good one. There are only two things that matter in a detector. Will it pick up what you want to find and how deep will it go. If the one in the pawn meets these requirements, take in some test objects and try it out . As one of the other members said bargain. They don't expect to get the asking price. Have you ever seen pawn stars on tv? A pawn shop pays 1/3 of the value on pawned items and they try to get 2/3 of the value of the item. There is plenty of leeway. Personally, for that detector, I wouldn't pay over $100 at a pawn shop.

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
RGINN said:
You might look into that Tesoro deal, Suprdave. I've been watchin the results from those on here and they're pretty temptin. And it is great to buy anythin brand new if you can afford it. I couldn't afford a brand new one when I bought mine from a pawn shop. I will say this about warranties. If what you sell me is as good as you say it is, why are you offering a warranty against malfunctions? It's a way to make more money, because if your product is that good nobody will use the warranty. When I buy things from a reputable dealer, I expect them to last. Otherwise, I would go buy a walmart fall apart.

Im not sure what your saying about the warranty here,no product on the market is perfect and from time to time any item may need to return for service ,but tesoro has enough confident in their product to give a lifetime warranty like this. It does not cost anymore for the warranty .You get it when you buy the machine. Not many if any other can say that

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
THAT, ok2raise, is a good warranty and displays the confidence in their product I'm lookin for. Too many electronic products (not just detectors) they want to 'sell' you a warranty in addition to the purchase price. I don't really have much confidence in something when the salesman, tryin to get the warranty 'sale', starts telling me all the things that could go wrong with his product. I'm gettin more interest in Tesoro all the time.

OP
OP
suprdave

suprdave

Aug 3, 2010
LeFlore County Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
went back in to the pawn shop today took the bh quick draw out back to see if it worked ok and it seem to work just fine . went back in and asked him if he was interested in trading it for a pistol i had and i felt that the pistol was worth about 75 dollars and he jumped at it. he told me that he could turn the pistol much easier than the md so we had a deal. now the best part of the deal. when we got home my wife said ill carry it in the house for you and when she picked it up she said boy this thing isnt heavy like your xlt and i believe i could use it . maybe i got me a new md partner does that mean that i get to go mding more often what a deal

Bunker

Apr 6, 2010
St. Pete, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
CTX 3030 / Etrac / T2se / Blisstool V5
Pistol Probe / Pro Pointer / VibraProbe 580
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry Super Dave, it now means you will have to get 2 backup MDs. :laughing7:
HH
Bunker

ok2raise

Dec 30, 2008
here
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bunker said:
Sorry Super Dave, it now means you will have to get 2 backup MDs. :laughing7:
HH
Bunker
:laughing9: yep now you have to get 2 more

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have bought some very nice things from Pawn shops. I got a nice chainsaw and a digital camera like new for nearly half price. I still have the camera and sold the chainsaw for more than I paid for it! Pawn shops will bargain, so offer less than the label price. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions