Old foundations in the woods.

piegrande

Bronze Member
May 16, 2010
My late father's farm had a number of holes, clearly small house sites, from a time when new immigrants lived in small shacks and walked to nearby quarries to work, in the early 20th Century. I bought a metal detector some years ago, I think it was a Garrett ABS, just to examine the holes.

I found small nails on two sides of each house hole, which told me which way the roof went. It would be assumed they dropped nails when putting on the shingles, or maybe tearing them down? At the time I was still working, and did not mind the cost of that detector for the knowledge gained.

I actually enjoyed the junk metal lying around. It gave me an idea of what they did there, though the roofing nails were the big news.

I was just back in the States the last three weeks, and dug out the old detector. The only thing that worked was the battery meter. Electronics normally should not fail sitting in a dry shed, except maybe the electrolytic capacitors if they are not military grade, but I didn't get a chance to tear it apart. And, part of the rod holding the coils is broken, the plastic piece at the end, so it is not likely it will work again. I don't think my budget is up to a new detector at this time, since I have no real targets here in rural Mexico. I am not real excited about old Mexican coins, sorry. What I need is a GPR, this is an archaeological zone and I have been shown a place where ancient skeletons are buried, and unless I win the lottery a GPR is also not in my budget.

I have written in detail on my adventures on the Aztec Gold forum, not appropriate here.

B

Bev

Iron Patch said:
Bev said:
I brought home another axe head the other day and my husband gave me the "look" as if to say, are you going to drag home everything you find?
So if you guys think you can make a buck on them, I'd be glad to send them to you! There are the two so far but he says they are that that old because the hole where the handle attached is too perfect as if machined.

Wouldn't be worth the cost to ship. The top type we throw in the woods, something I just did last week. (I was actually looking for a cannon so was not happy to see a broad axe) The bottom I'd probably debate taking it home, but good chance it would be left for the next guy.... and as my digging bud says.... keep the sport alive! :laughing7:

I guess they'll make really great paperweights or I can use them to secures some tarps! I appreciate the input and I'd rather send someone something they can utilize than have it sit around.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread