Dreaming

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
Hi all,
I sit here reading the various posts, dreaming and wondering where would I like to go prospecting Feb, Mar, Apr of 2011. I would like to visit Arizona. I've watched Tom Massey around Stanton and I'd love to visit but what is real and accessable to the average guy? where do I go? I'm a Vermonter a red neck Vermonter, If I went to Arizona on a week or two vacation to do a little prospecting where would I start? Arizona is a world away from here, may as well be in another galaxy. I am in familiar territory here and have a good idea of were to start looking to find a speck, familiar with the laws, know how to avoid trouble etc.
Have you ever thought about it? If you had the time and limited funds where would you spend your week or Two prospecting? Where would you begin?

Always Lookin

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
still-lookin, one good thing about nugget hunting, for gold in its natural state, is that this form of gold is not man-made, and is "naturally occuring". Therefore you guys don't run afoul of cultural heritage fears (ie.: "items over 100 yrs. old" or "archaeologically significant" rules and fear). In fact, I've even heard of some guys getting away with detecting in state parks or fed. parks, by telling busy-bodies: "I'm hunting for nuggets" or "hunting for meteors" because those things are not covered by some of the supposed rules, as they are naturally occuring and or (in the case of meteors) from outerspace :) Confused rangers just left them alone :)

If you're skittish about where you can and can't hunt nuggets, check with dealers in the area, and see where they're customers generally go. You can find dealers by going to the major manufacturer websites, and clicking on links to get to their local dealers, state-by-state. This is especially true if the dealer you talk to is an avid hobbyist, he'll generally know the "real skinny" on his locales.

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Since we're dreaming I would have to say Fort Knox :icon_sunny:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Stillookin:

A buddy and I have been to Stanton and Lynx Creek several times. If you
join the GPAA you can camp free on their Lucky Linda claim. No gold for us.
On the last trip to Stanton three of us got to the area just before nightfall and
picked out a spot. The next morning we were stunned to see every rock had
been moved by nugget hunters. We still had a great time but did not have the
PI gold machines that get all the nuggets.
The LDMA (Lost Dutchman Mining Association) has the choice areas to them-
selves, a not friendly bunch. However you can join a gold mining club to get on
some proven nugget patches, especially on Rich Hill. Do your research before
leaving home. And beware the mountain lions, they are thick around the Lucky
Linda. The old Octave mine is a fun place to gather specimens.
Up on Lynx Creek, near Prescott, we got color in most every pan. The Forest
Service monitors that area to make sure no motorized equipment is used but
simple panning is OK. You need to go past Lynx Lake a mile or so to get to
decent camping spots. Watch for a green mailbox. Go north.
If you go not expecting to get rich you will enjoy the Bradshaw Mts. Mucho
oro is still there. Check out the Prospecting board. Have fun.

PS: Don't call the Forest Service before going. You won't get a warm welcome.

OP
OP
stilllookin

stilllookin

Apr 3, 2010
Vermont
Thanks all,
lastleg, I will look at the areas you mentioned, sounds interesting. It does seem most of the country is not too welcoming to prospectors and the " don't ask don't tell policy " may be a good slogan for us.

always looking

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Stillookin:

Benchmark Maps have great topographical maps of Arizona. It shows Forest
Service, BLM and State Land. Look online for the regs in the Prescott National
Forest. State Land is off limits. If you are going from Prescott to Stanton and
pulling a trailer you have to go almost Congress and take a bumpy, dusty ride to get to the LMDA/GPAA outpost. If in a 4-wheel drive vehicle there is a neat
shortcut in Yarnell. It goes east right by Rich Hill to Stanton. Most of this gold
rich area is claimed so check the prospecting sites for club claims near RH.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You don't have to go all the way out west t find gold. There is gold here on the east coast. I have found gold in MI, OH, IN and NC. Just do a web search on IN gold and see what comes up. There is normally a club in the state and contact them they are very helpful.....Matt

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread