Anyone in Western MA? Long overdue post and personal update.

iwas1ncthr

Nov 20, 2007
Chicopee, Mass
Detector(s) used
Soon to have ML SE
Hey all, it's been a long time since I last posted and I have spent the last couple hours reading and looking at all the wonderful finds over the past year. I had to have a spinal fusion done and have been recovering from it pretty good but as with most back operations, one spot gets fixed and then the other parts you thought were good are in worse condition than first thought. My doctor pulled my drivers licence at least for now because I experience some major nerve spasms in my legs and freaked out when I was driving a rented 2009 HEMI Challenger and couldn't get my foot to the break because my whole right leg spasmed. Anyhow, being that I am only 36, my chiropractor and family doctor both told me to apply for SDI. I found out I have scoliosis as well as my thoracic spine having almost 100% spinal stenosis. The only thing I am thankful for is that this is service connected from my time in the Marine Corps and that even though it may take me 2-3 years of fighting and the "wonderful ::)"government red tape to go from 50% to say 70% VA disability, I'm just thankful my doctor was good enough to look me in the eyes and tell me to think about my kids while driving. I have a 3 year old and a 7 year old, God forbid if I ever had one of those spasms in the car while my family was with me. While I am humbled by this I hope to one day be able to get my DL back as my wife doesn't drive but may soon have to once I get us on the financial track to be able to afford a car again. Other than that I have also started a new hobby that has been pretty good and I have been doing it slowly over the past 3 years which is building hand made electric guitars. Maybe one day when I find that gold cache I will be able to buy the tools that would help make it more easy and start a nice small business to help assist in my addiction to metal detecting.

Now, about the first portion in my title I was wondering if we had anyone new join or anyone senior members who live around the Chicopee Mass area who would like to start chatting and maybe exchange some knowlage of local history and hunting get together. Being that I cannot drive for the time being I am more than willing to fill up the gas tank and buy breakfast/lunch etc... if we decide to go on any type of metal detecting trips. I have also been looking into Mt.Tom as a possible area of intrest for detecting. The history is pretty solid and all the different recreations over the years should produce some rather good finds. You first have Mountain Park which opened in 1885 and has since been removed. I have visited the site several times and have seen a few people with metal detectors going through. The problem is, very high trash rate and I only have a Whites Prism 5 that IMO isn't good enough to work in a high trash area like that but then again you have the field area which not many people are familiar with where they had stage entertainers perform to crowds that just sat on the ground. The Mt. Tom ski area and Alpine slide are also another place of intrest. I know the ski lifts opened up in the 60's and the Alpine slide was to follow in the 70's. The amount of silver coins that could be waiting and the many wallets over the years that have fallen from those on the ski lifts could prove to be worth some time searching. Anyhow, feel free to contact me if your interested and I'll be sure to follow up. We only have a few more weeks before the grounds start to get the deep freeze!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread