blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
Au_Dreamers said:
Maybe he doesn’t want to put 80+ hours a month into a retail enterprise.

Some simple math is he would have to sell $600+ more a month just to break even for his time and expenses. That’s if he only figures his time worth $8/hr.

80 hours? I'm confused here. Let's say he has to drive an hour to a decent antique mall. He spends 10min there putting his inventory into his case. He then spends another hour driving home. Say he does this twice a month. That's about 5 hours. Say he spends 5 hours of his time each month pricing his inventory. He is now at 10 hours. 10 hours to make $500 extra each month. Not bad at all if you ask me.

If you think it takes 80 hours, then you might be missing the big picture here as well.
I dont think anyone is missing the big picture. Whatever works for you.....Thats pretty much the best answer.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
80 hours? I'm confused here. Let's say he has to drive an hour to a decent antique mall. He spends 10min there putting his inventory into his case. He then spends another hour driving home. Say he does this twice a month. That's about 5 hours. Say he spends 5 hours of his time each month pricing his inventory. He is now at 10 hours. 10 hours to make $500 extra each month. Not bad at all if you ask me.

If you think it takes 80 hours, then you might be missing the big picture here as well.

So the jewelry just magically sells itself?

I assumed one would have to man the booth for 8 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday.

Glad you make more than 4k a month congrats! You make more than 50% of working Americans!

See it's comments like that that will have people shy away from your "help".

I did think about your idea as I went to bed and thought of the possibility of using a flea market booth to buy the gold.

From what I gather the one around here is huge. But then I could put in 80 hours for not much killing my effective hourly rate.

I bet blai745 has a huge effective hourly rate!

OP
OP
blai745

blai745

May 5, 2010
Detector(s) used
ace 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol thanks...the only reason why I make 4k a month on scrap gold buying is becuase I usually have large volumes from repeat customers..for example I usually now make $3 a gram.. so In one month I average about 1300 grams.. I even tell people this so that they dont go to those WE BUY GOLD stores, where they make like $10 a gram..

bazinga

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2005
High Five!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Au_Dreamers said:
bazinga said:

So the jewelry just magically sells itself?

I assumed one would have to man the booth for 8 hours a day on Saturday and Sunday.

Glad you make more than 4k a month congrats! You make more than 50% of working Americans!

See it's comments like that that will have people shy away from your "help".

I did think about your idea as I went to bed and thought of the possibility of using a flea market booth to buy the gold.

From what I gather the one around here is huge. But then I could put in 80 hours for not much killing my effective hourly rate.

I bet blai745 has a huge effective hourly rate!

An antique mall is different than a flea market. You pay your monthly case (or booth) rent and they do all of the labor for you, 7 days a week, during normal business hours. Then they mail you a check or you can go pick it up yourself.

As for the flea market booth for buying gold, I've met one guy doing just that. He has a spot set up at one of those indoor weekly flea markets that is in a pretty rough area. I asked him how much he was selling silver for and he said he would sell coins by the roll at spot. I wouldn't recommend this type of set up for everybody, though. He was a pretty intimidating guy. I would guess he was 6'5" and a solid 260lbs with arms the size of your thigh and no body fat. I just know I felt small next to him and I'm 6'4" and 220. So I doubt anybody was messing with him unless they had a gun.

Au_Dreamers

Dec 15, 2010
back on the 1715!!
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bazinga said:
An antique mall is different than a flea market. You pay your monthly case (or booth) rent and they do all of the labor for you, 7 days a week, during normal business hours. Then they mail you a check or you can go pick it up yourself.

Ahh didn't know there was a difference these days.
I used to antique with my parents as a kid to get my history fill. I loved listening to the old timers telling me their stories as much as the neat old stuff.

I do remember when these "antique" malls came out sort of. Most of them were filled with repro's and modern novelty items and trashy jewelry stores. I guess it just depends on where you go.

Merry Christmas all, may you find the treasure you've been looking for, next year!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread