Taking a trip---metal detector on board or luggage?

JoelB

Sep 20, 2010
I was wondering what the best way to take your metal detector on a trip is? Obviously you could pack it in your suitcase with all your clothes insulating it from shock --or--break it down and at least take the control box/coil on your in- flight luggage. My main concern is--does security know what a metal detector looks like? Will there be a lockdown in the airport when it goes through the scanner? Has anyone taken one on board before? Also, what about a one piece sand scoop about 44 inches long--might be cheaper and easier to mail it to my destination, then mail it home.

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Take my word for it..."mail everything to your destination ahead of time!" Airports are notorious for pulling any item they deem suspect, which gives them a lot of leeway and liberties with their judgements, and without explanation. I lost a CZ-20 this way, vanished without a trace after it was checked in and tagged and put on their luggage conveyor, the airline simply told me......"it was apparently lost somehow".....and after depreciating it's value by their own system they paid me $500.00 and some change. They had no interest in trying to discover how it vanished after it was in their possession and they simply didn't care. The problem is that security doesn't have to explain these type of actions and they don't have to keep accurate tracking of those items pulled. In short, if they want it, they can pull it from the luggage area and they can feel pretty assured that they'll get away with it. There is no watchdog watching the dogs. From that day on I always mail everything to my destination ahead of time, I send it home the same way.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I flew earlier this year and took my machine with me. No problems. I bought the White's hard case and took it as a carry on. I would much rather do the carry on than to check it where I have no access to it. Plus I don't trust the handling of luggage carriers and I also don't trust the mailing handlers either. I want my machine with me at all times. I had no problems getting thru security and they only had to open the case up once. I had my digging tool, batteries and other accessories in the case as well. I was watching very close as they inspected on the return trip as I had all my silver finds in there too. We had a nice conversation and I continued on my way. I will always take my machine with me next time I fly. Call your airline and make sure it will fit in the overhead. If it does you will have no problems. You can either mail or take with you. I prefer to take with me. Good luck on your trip.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, I'd mail it ,I've worked at a airport before and they have all kinds of "missed placed items",in a room that are free for the picking. :icon_scratch:

Syrena Hunter

Nov 30, 2004
Palm Beach
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excalibur II 1000
Minelab Excalibur-800
Cobra
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Along with MD, I also SCUBA dive. Anything that is of value and small enough, I take as carryon....the bigger stuff I mail...I work for an express company so I do get a discount . ;D and the package is waiting for me. Too many of my friends checked luggage was 'lost' for a day or two and almost ruined the trip. Do not trust the checked luggage....you may not get your detector back!. If you decide to mail it use the quickest way that you can afford. And make the package as small and light as possable. :icon_thumleft:

maipenrai

Bronze Member
Nov 11, 2010
Thailand/Europe/California
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 2 1000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on where you are traveling to and from where. I travel international, so would never send my MD by mail, only carry it with me, as checked in baggage. I just pack it with my with my other stuff, of course wrapped well. Sure, it could get lost, but thats what happens with travel. I would never take it as carry on, since I have other things as well to carry on. I think it would be a nightmare at every stop over, explaining what that box was, with all the wires in it. If things get really bad, you could miss your connection. So just break it down and pack it well. Have other friends that do the same, and no problems, yet!

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim
I always carry the electronics in my carry on bag because I don't want them stolen. They often get a second look by the TSA's but never a problem. put the battery in your luggage though if you can.

beancounter

Greenie
Jul 18, 2006
zephyrhills, fl
Detector(s) used
mpx digital, ace 250
I just flew in Oct. I broke down my Ace250 took the batteries out and put with checked bag, the long pipes I put in my checked bag as the airport does not allow metal over 7 inches, the coils I took in my carry on along with the main housing and pin pointer, also without batteries in it. I had to take it out of my back pack and put it in a separate container thing to be scanned along with my camera, DSI and shoes. Just was asked if I ever found anything good.

TheRandyMan

Apr 3, 2010
Dallas, Texas
Detector(s) used
Excalibur II, Minelab Etrac, Ace 250k, Discovery TF-900
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry, I can't help you as I do not fly on "Grope em up with sexual assault" anymore. I load em up in my trusty 4x4 Suburban and see more of America. Its amazing all the places you can find that just beg to be detected as you roll along on our American roads. Maybe if enough people decide to drive instead of fly, they will come to their senses and I will give you a report on it then. Best of luck and remember, keep your junk tightly secured and squeeze hard to prevent damage to it. :laughing7:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread