Explaining your passion

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was talking with a few people about hobbies this morning and one of them asked me why I enjoyed metal detecting/treasure hunting so much? I thought about it for a moment and then I replied, "because it's an adventure that never ends." For me I guess this is the case because whether I'm doing research or actually out in the field it's always an adventure, there is always something to learn, someplace to explore, and things to be discovered. And though most of those on the outside don't recognize it, it can also be a great avenue towards staying in good physical shape. Just sharing a thought about this fantastic hobby. :thumbsup:

S

stefen

There are any number of hobbies that a person can be passionate about...

In fact, hobbies and passion are synonymous...typically, you can't have one without the other... :coffee2:

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
Was talking with a few people about hobbies this morning and one of them asked me why I enjoyed metal detecting/treasure hunting so much? I thought about it for a moment and then I replied, "because it's an adventure that never ends." For me I guess this is the case because whether I'm doing research or actually out in the field it's always an adventure, there is always something to learn, someplace to explore, and things to be discovered. And though most of those on the outside don't recognize it, it can also be a great avenue towards staying in good physical shape. Just sharing a thought about this fantastic hobby. :thumbsup:

I totally agree with the above...... Still waiting on the good physical shape part though. :icon_scratch:

S

stefen

OutBack Duo said:
I totally agree with the above...... Still waiting on the good physical shape part though. :icon_scratch:

One of my favorite hobbies is eating what I cook....like you I'm still waiting on the good physical shape part too...

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
OutBack Duo said:

One of my favorite hobbies is eating what I cook....like you I'm still waiting on the good physical shape part too...
I'm at that age where my broad mind and narrow waist changes places.......... ;D

Exnihilo

Jan 15, 2009
bigscoop said:
It's a good answer. I had never thought about it before.
Yes, what you say is perfectly true.

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:o When I'm asked I just show something I picked up. Like this little item. I pulled it out of the ground about 20 years ago. See something like this appear and you are hooked. When you find gold it becomes addictive and you can not stop unless something stops you. :laughing9:

Attachments

• other photos 113.jpg
    other photos 113.jpg
    40.6 KB · Views: 201
  • other photos 114.jpg
    other photos 114.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 191

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree! It started out as an adventure for me, then I got a little sidetracked with the money, then liking the finds too much, but now it's back to being all about the adventure. I get a great rush discovering a new old site and thinking about what possibility could come out. Most times the finds don't live up to my expectations but there's always the next field to walk, and site to find.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i enjoy the research part of the hobby and then using the research to go out to different locations and find things, its the surprise of the next dig that really keeps me hooked. you just don't know if that next hole is gonna be clad or something from the 1800's, its almost like X-mas for me when i'm diggin a target :laughing7: getting some fresh air, exercise and enjoying what i'm doing all wrapped up in one

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's the sheer wonder of the history of the items I find, not the intrinsic value. Monty

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread