Best product to seal a coil?

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if you want something to seal it, stay flexible and not peel off, try butyl rubber caulking. it will not harden, it won't make your fingers slick either. it also will not peel off without help. about the only place you can find it, is a real lumber yard, not lowe's, or ace hardware

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sniffer said:
if you want something to seal it, stay flexible and not peel off, try butyl rubber caulking. it will not harden, it won't make your fingers slick either. it also will not peel off without help. about the only place you can find it, is a real lumber yard, not lowe's, or ace hardware

I'm actually looking for something that will harden and is definitely permanent. Even something I have to paint or spray on would be ok.... not really concerned what the coils looks like, just want them to last. They are the older style and not made anymore.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
you can still use the butyl rubber, while it will stay flexible, it will be permanent and water/dust proof.
if you put some on the bottom of the coil, you will not get that cover off

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We used to make a wall around the coil with masking tape and pour a 1/4" layer of fiberglass resin in. When it got a little thin, rough it up with some 80 grit sandpaper and repour a thin layer of resin.

If you have a skid plate get a can of Insul grip (of course in your favorite color) use a small paint brush to fill the seams between the coil & skid plate if you need to remove the skid plate later run an Xacto knife around the seam & remove it. Also helps keep the dust out.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I second the bedliner spray recommendation. Take it by a place that does rhino liners and ask them to spray it when they do the next truck bed. Shouldn't cost much and is pretty much indestructible.

andy from de

Sep 28, 2010
dover delaware
Detector(s) used
whites mxt pro
Electrical contractors have a rubberized coating that they use to waterprof and weatherize underground electric splices.its tough but it can be removed if necessary, and is non conductive. There are different kinds, some stay gooey and some dry hard but rubbery. That may work. It comes in different quantities enough to dip the whole coil in. may be worth checking out AA

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
that reminds me, the also have liquid tape for electrical connections, that might work

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Patch,

I have never tried what you are suggesting.

Are you sure you want a permanent, hardening seal? What will you do if the coil cracks? Or are you planning to encase the entire coil cover in it?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Iron Patch,

Are you sure you want a permanent, hardening seal? What will you do if the coil cracks? Or are you planning to encase the entire coil cover in it?

No sure what you mean by asking what I would do if it cracks? I'm adding this coat for more protection from moisture. The old explorer coils are very bad for this, and many people use damaged coils and don't even know.

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Patch said:
Smudge said:
Iron Patch,

No sure what you mean by asking what I would do if it cracks? I'm adding this coat for more protection from moisture. The old explorer coils are very bad for this, and many people use damaged coils and don't even know.

I was think that if the cover cracks, it could let in dirt and other debris that could interfere with your coil's operation. If you found it was cracked and wanted to replace it, how would you get it off? Or am I missing something (entirely possible)?

OP
OP
Iron Patch

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Iron Patch said:
Smudge said:
Iron Patch,

I was think that if the cover cracks, it could let in dirt and other debris that could interfere with your coil's operation. If you found it was cracked and wanted to replace it, how would you get it off? Or am I missing something (entirely possible)?

Yes, you're missing that I don't plan to seal the coil with the cover attached. ;D

DirtDiggerDaveinMD

Jan 31, 2005
You need a potting compound. We use many excellent fuel tank sealants (PR-1750, 1828, 1776) and epoxy adhesives/ potting compounds
(Hysol 9394 comes to mind) in the aerospace industry that would give you superb results. Unfortunately, some of these sealants and other compounds contain either aluminum or manganese dioxide. I know aluminum powder may give you false signals. I'm not sure of the manganese dioxide, but I would suspect it would have the same effect as the aluminum powder.

W.W.Grainger, MSC, and McMaster Carr all carry a wide variety of epoxies and sealers. You may want to check them out to see what they carry.

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
Liquid electrical tape can be peeled off with a fingernail, so imagine what rocks and dirt will do. Rubberized tool coating will peel off by hand as well and cuts easily. Other specialized epoxies might work well if you find one suited to the job and developed to be tough, durable, and have excellent adhesion... that's what rhinoliner is... specialized coating to seal and be durable, resistant to abrasion or cuts, adhere, and seal. I don't think you'd be able to purposely damage the coil if it was coated with it. (short of using power tools or something to that effect).

gleaner1

Silver Member
Feb 1, 2009
Gateway to the 1000 Islands
Detector(s) used
Sometime(s)
Primary Interest:
Other
Can you show a pick of the coil and seam? Any decent modern coils are bullet proof, built with composite shells and superb rock- hard potting. No need for any sealing or covers in my opinion. Unless you are worried about scratches, then I say what 'digger says, a quality epoxy dip. Then you could polish your coil to a shiny sheen at the end of the season or whenever. Pretty expensive tho'.

mainer

Silver Member
May 3, 2005
Maine
Detector(s) used
Minelab Etrac
Fisher F75 SE
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I always wondered about rubberized under coating. Kinda the same idea as the bed liner stuff that was mentioned. Let me know what you find Patch. Would like to do mine aswell. :icon_thumright:

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
if you're looking to dip it, try fiberglass resin, it's strong, clear, waterproof, and easy to add more if you need it. it's also relatively thin so that would cut down on additional weight. unlike undercoating or bed liner, which is real heavy

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread