Blind Squirrel

Bronze Member
Apr 15, 2010
NC
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 SE, Whites PI Pro, Ace 250, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Was wondering if anyong had any ideas on these two structures I came across in the woods. They are about 10-12 ft across and 35-40 ft long. There was a mill in the area and I was thinking maybe they were used for storage of some sort. The walls are made of stone and concrete of some sort. There isn't any boards in the area, so I don't know if this a the foundation for something or what. Across a dirt road from them is a very old uncapped well and a short distance away there a some old bricks strewn about the ground. I didn't have enough sunlight today to do a good detection of the area, but I'll go back soon.
Also does anyone know what the heavy metal object in the last picture might be? 8- 10 inches across, no hole in the middle Thanks Blind Squirrel

Attachments

• Possible Mill 001 (700x525).jpg
    Possible Mill 001 (700x525).jpg
    163.6 KB · Views: 380
  • Possible Mill 003 (700x525).jpg
    Possible Mill 003 (700x525).jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 386
  • Possible Mill 007 (700x525).jpg
    Possible Mill 007 (700x525).jpg
    110.7 KB · Views: 384
  • Possible Mill 008 (700x525).jpg
    Possible Mill 008 (700x525).jpg
    146 KB · Views: 374

lafatlife

May 14, 2008
CT
I don't know what they are for but they look interesting. I would spend a lot of time there and expect a lot of iron.

Mackaydon

Gold Member
Oct 26, 2004
N. San Diego Pic of my 2 best 'finds'; son & g/son
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Explorer
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Suggestions:
1.Check out old maps of the area ; maybe the structures are shown and noted as ??
2. Have a chat with your local historian.
3. Use Google Earth for a different type of view of the site; maybe you'll see more in the area.
Don....

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Nice quartz rock there! You are in the heart of the gold belt being there in Charlotte, I would pay close attention to any outcropping of rocks and swing the detector over them, especially those that have quartz viens running through them. There is still alot of undiscovered gold there.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
maybe storage buildings. it looks like the main walls would sit on top the foundation walls

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have no idea, but good suggestions from others so far. Those are some nice pictures (what camera are you using?)

Is that chunk of quartz actually on/imbedded in one of the concrete "walls"?

Looks like a virgin site! Hope it turns out to have been a storehouse for gold coins :wink:

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Whatever the foundation is from, people built it, probably sat around somewhere on the ground, maybe dropped some change. Check real good along the foundation as it looks high enough to be a good back rest while sitting.

The object looks like it could probably be a cutting blade from an old gas powered brick/concrete saw. I used an old one once that used pressure, not a center screw to hold the blade in place. That way if it bound up, the blade stopped, not the motor.

Al

Night Stalker

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2004
Florida
Detector(s) used
Omega 8000 & Tesoro Cortes
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Looks like a decent spot to spend the day imo. I'd dig all signals if it were me and pay special attention to those old oak trees - regardless, there was human activity and where you have that, people drop things.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread