I received many emails asking why this buckle didnt make the banner?

olas13

Oct 12, 2004
Rhode Island,USA
Detector(s) used
Excaliber 2,minelab sov., whites surfmaster. tesoro.equinox 800
Primary Interest:
Beach & Shallow Water Hunting
Re: I got many emails asking why this buckle didnt make the banner?

:icon_thumleft: :icon_thumright:I agree that it isn't worth the worry. My latest find PRE 1600 copper french coin found in the N.E. and still easily identifiable I thought pretty cool, nada.The thrill of pulling a find from the dirt can only fully be measure by the person who made the find. GREAT FINDS ALL.

nova

Jan 10, 2009
Utah
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT //Fisher CZ-3D
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Good find, thats all that matters. Sometimes I feel the BANNER IS A EGO THING get over it. Or you can pass your find on to me.

MonkeyBoy

Bronze Member
Feb 6, 2006
Virginia
Detector(s) used
V3i

jeff of pa said:
PEles said:
Guys & gals I don't have a clue. Last time I posted a rare find( 1795 half dime mint condition) I was told I was too new and hadnt posted enough, Ok I'll go with that, this time surely most seasoned detectorists knows that a find like this is a rare and an exremely desireable find with a high monetary value to it, so what gives?? Some have said it was because I didnt post it dirty and maybe they think it's not real?? Sorry don't buy it, This find just like my 1795 half dime is as real as it gets and I dug them. This buckle was posted absolutely just like I dug it in the south carolina lowcountry as was my 1795 coin. Anybody with any common sense knows not to clean a find like either one of these. So come on Jeff where's the consistency with this banner stuff. I honestly can't find anything much better than these last 2 things :dontknow: I understand about my last find but kinda feel like I got the shaft on this one and by my emails and replys many of your readers feel the same way. Does it have anything to do with the depot???? Hmmmmmm makes me wonder. Sorry if you feel it's not real but take a look at some of these buttons I've dug down here. They're dug, I found them and they pretty much look now just like they came out of the ground. Is it my fault the SC lowcountry has some of the prettiest dug relics in the world ??? :headbang: Again I'm feelling like I got the shaft bigtime on this because if this rare, gorgeous, piece isn't banner worthy then nothing is!

Laszlo

I Can only tell you why I Have second Thoughts Now.

#1 You Complained :tongue3: with this Thread.

#2 You brought up the Depot ? They may be a Good
Site, However, What does the Depot have to do
with TNet ? I Don't believe in Putting down any site
for the purpose of Conflict.

#3 IF I Post it now, what's to keep everyone else from
Complaining when they Don't get a Banner ? Hopeing
it will then get Bannered.

As far as I'm concerned, I Take everyone at their
word that they dug an Item, unless They have been Known
to make false posts.

http://forum.treasurenet.com/authenticity

Please Don't take any of this as a Put down.

I Guess I Just do not Understand.

Jeff

P.S.
a Longer more Detailed
Story with it may have Caught Our eye

Ok, I guess I misunderstood how the banner worked. So just so I understand.. the item needs to be a very recent find, receive enough banner nominations and then has to be approved by the moderators? I'm not being flip about this.. just honestly asking.

IMHO, a write up on a relic like this is not very important.. I'd still vote banner if all he said was "I dug this today." ;-) Sure a story is great.. but sometimes a picture is worth a thousand banners.

MB

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

There was no banner when I joined Tnet or at least I never noticed it. I didn't join to get special recognition , just to share an interesting hobby with those of like mind. I could care less if I make the banner and I rarely look at the banner items anyway. It's not that important to me. But if accolades are what you want from the forum that's fine with me also. Monty

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Monty said:
There was no banner when I joined Tnet or at least I never noticed it. I didn't join to get special recognition , just to share an interesting hobby with those of like mind. I could care less if I make the banner and I rarely look at the banner items anyway. It's not that important to me. But if accolades are what you want from the forum that's fine with me also. Monty

No Monty the Banner was not here when you Joined.

I Sort of wonder How many look at it sometimes.
I Have gotten banner Reports on items already up there.
& Banner reports on Items without Pictures

While we don't have any firm criteria, we follow these general guidelines...

Finds must be significant, and plausible.
Finds / posts must be RECENT.
Images must be hosted on the TreasureNet server.
Posts with great stories are more likely to be selected.
If the post is one of the members first posts, it is less likely to be selected.
Finds must look good in the banner

http://forum.treasurenet.com/banner

I Don't do all the Banners But
besides the above , I Like "Rare to the Banner Finds"
not necessarily "Rare according to the Books"

Books can be wrong.

& YES Your Banner Nominations Do Count.
But I Personally don't count the word "Banner" in a Post
only the ones in Reports.

cntrydncr1

Gold Member
Feb 23, 2007
Bradenton, Fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Minelab Excal II, ETrac, Infiniuim

well I sometimes wonder too. I find a bronze age item and it doesn't make the banner?? I thought your buckle was awesome and definitely banner worthy. Once there was a ring on the banner that had not even been tested for gold/diamond quality according to the post.

soupie

Bronze Member
Jun 9, 2006
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

I have found a rare pink/gold colored dust bunny under the corner of my bed,I should take a pic of that and post it... :laughing7:

All kidding aside,I sure wouldn't want a moderators job when it comes to these type of topics.

I must admit,I never paid much attention to the banner,until I found an item after 19 years of MD'ing that had a chance at a banner,it did not make it,and I was a bit aggravated for a time,but that passes and one realizes again why he or she hunts....I hunt for the thrill of finding something that hasn't been touched for many decades,Not to decorate the top of a web page...I have my great find,and soon with some research :read2: I hope to have the history to go with it,I have a great piece of American history that I can someday pass on to my son,now that to me is more satisfaction than any little yellow ribbon can ever provide.... :thumbsup:

HH all Soup

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Soupie said:
I have found a rare pink/gold colored dust bunny under the corner of my bed,I should take a pic of that and post it... :laughing7:

All kidding aside,I sure wouldn't want a moderators job when it comes to these type of topics.

I must admit,I never paid much attention to the banner,until I found an item after 19 years of MD'ing that had a chance at a banner,it did not make it,and I was a bit aggravated for a time,but that passes and one realizes again why he or she hunts....I hunt for the thrill of finding something that hasn't been touched for many decades,Not to decorate the top of a web page...I have my great find,and soon with some research :read2: I hope to have the history to go with it,I have a great piece of American history that I can someday pass on to my son,now that to me is more satisfaction than any little yellow ribbon can ever provide.... :thumbsup:

HH all Soup

Only Orange Belly Button Lint makes it :thumbsup:

kracer55

May 4, 2010
Spotsylvania VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Guys & gals I don't have a clue. Last time I posted a rare find( 1795 half dime mint condition) I was told I was too new and hadnt posted enough, Ok I'll go with that, this time surely most seasoned detectorists knows that a find like this is a rare and an exremely desireable find with a high monetary value to it, so what gives?? Some have said it was because I didnt post it dirty and maybe they think it's not real?? Sorry don't buy it, This find just like my 1795 half dime is as real as it gets and I dug them. This buckle was posted absolutely just like I dug it in the south carolina lowcountry as was my 1795 coin. Anybody with any common sense knows not to clean a find like either one of these. So come on Jeff where's the consistency with this banner stuff. I honestly can't find anything much better than these last 2 things I understand about my last find but kinda feel like I got the shaft on this one and by my emails and replys many of your readers feel the same way. Does it have anything to do with the depot? Hmmmmmm makes me wonder. Sorry if you feel it's not real but take a look at some of these buttons I've dug down here. They're dug, I found them and they pretty much look now just like they came out of the ground. Is it my fault the SC lowcountry has some of the prettiest dug relics in the world Again I'm feelling like I got the shaft bigtime on this because if this rare, gorgeous, piece isn't banner worthy then nothing is!

Laszlo
The Ironic thing to me Attila is that if you posted this somewhere else you would get banned. I don't doubt that you dug the stuff but didn't you learn anything when you posted that coin a couple months back and heard the same thing about it being to clean,no write up,etc.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030

its not like its the nobel piece prize, i wouldn't worry about it. i think if i posted something i wouldn't even want a banner cause there are always those people out there that will dout your finds anyway, as long as you know that you dug them and what these items are worth to you thats what counts. ya shouldn't have to defend your finds.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too

in this the e net world -- not being along side you when it was found -- i have to trust you when you say --i found x, y and z -- which having no actual proof otherwize -- I do believe --- since i have no valid reason not to.-- I have to take you at your "word"

My point of veiw on matters like this is quite simple --- if you were to post "bogus finds" and lie about your finds (as a glory hound type of person might in a sad attempt to gain approval of others )--the only one you are really "fooling" is yourself--- by dishonoring yourself by posting bogus "found" items. -- bogus finders eventually slip up and post one too many things and somehow get caught up in the web of lies they weave .

now on the other shoe --- there are some folks that unless they found it or were stand there when you found , simply will not believe anyone else ever found any good stuff --these rain on your parade doubting thomas's are a real pain--their almost as bad as "bogus poster" types

then there is the "i'm jelious" of your finds --so they can not be real type of folks

i say your finds are "always valid and true" unless its can be proved otherwize * and if you put up bogus stuff --shame on you --and if your the type of person that any another persons finds are always trash or bogus type stuff--- shame on you as well.

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I personally do not want anything I find to make the banner. Really. It would spoil it for me. I would not (do not) post anything I thought was going to be nominated for banner. That doesn't make much sense.....

but that's just the way I am. I rather enjoy the "Rodney Dangerfield Syndrome" :thumbsup:

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Personally , I would " never " show collections or finds of substantial value on the world wide web . I did vote for the buckle , fantastic and quite valuable .

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!

jeff of pa said:
Monty said:
I Sort of wonder How many look at it sometimes.

I love the banner, I click and read on every new banner listed item that shows up, it's the only way to catch up on the best stories when I have been gone for some time.

OP
OP
PEles

PEles

Apr 20, 2009
Lowcountry, South Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Deus !
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting

kracer55 said:
Guys & gals I don't have a clue. Last time I posted a rare find( 1795 half dime mint condition) I was told I was too new and hadnt posted enough, Ok I'll go with that, this time surely most seasoned detectorists knows that a find like this is a rare and an exremely desireable find with a high monetary value to it, so what gives?? Some have said it was because I didnt post it dirty and maybe they think it's not real?? Sorry don't buy it, This find just like my 1795 half dime is as real as it gets and I dug them. This buckle was posted absolutely just like I dug it in the south carolina lowcountry as was my 1795 coin. Anybody with any common sense knows not to clean a find like either one of these. So come on Jeff where's the consistency with this banner stuff. I honestly can't find anything much better than these last 2 things I understand about my last find but kinda feel like I got the shaft on this one and by my emails and replys many of your readers feel the same way. Does it have anything to do with the depot? Hmmmmmm makes me wonder. Sorry if you feel it's not real but take a look at some of these buttons I've dug down here. They're dug, I found them and they pretty much look now just like they came out of the ground. Is it my fault the SC lowcountry has some of the prettiest dug relics in the world Again I'm feelling like I got the shaft bigtime on this because if this rare, gorgeous, piece isn't banner worthy then nothing is!

Laszlo
The Ironic thing to me Attila is that if you posted this somewhere else you would get banned. I don't doubt that you dug the stuff but didn't you learn anything when you posted that coin a couple months back and heard the same thing about it being to clean,no write up,etc.
No last time I heard I was too knew here. This time its you need a better story next timethere'll be something elese heh heh. You and I both know it was banner worthy.As long as you only have a couple people judging for the top there'll be excuses if they don't want something up there, no matter who finds it.As far as you or anybody doubting I make my finds, don't lose any sleep over me because I'm here to tell you I dig my relics.Takes a real lowlife sicko to do something retarded like posting a find that he or she never dug. I take offense to anybody with accusations like that towards me but it's not the first time I've been accused of it. Like anything else in life if you're successful at something somebody that's not as successful will usually come out with something ugly or nasty to say about you.It's sad but there's a lot of jealousy in this hobby. I just take it for what it is and keep on digging , finding & posting cool stuff. You've noticed what I've dug over the yrs I know, obviously you read the depot religiously :laughing7:

Laszlo

kracer55

May 4, 2010
Spotsylvania VA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Re: I received many emails asking why this buckle didnt make the banner?

I guess you don't understand this part of what I wrote " I don't doubt that you dug the stuff" and no I don't read it religiously. I just started reading all of the sites a few months ago. I had to quit digging because of my hip. After I had it replaced I got a divorce ,then had to raise three young boys. We were too busy racing karts, fishing, etc, now the oldest races a Dirt Modified. I got the itch to get back to digging again and made a post questioning the fighting like kids between the sites. your site took my post down then banned me when I asked again. The other site pretty much said that they just didn't care for the ethics of your leader and then said they preferred not to discuss your site and left it at that. You do have some very nice relics from what I have seen. I am getting remarried on Dec 4th and we are spending the honeymoon in Charleston, one of my plans is to see as many of those relics as I can.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

[mod]Please No Discussion of other Web sites.

I Do NOT believe in competition.
and do not want to see comments
good or bad about them here.
Because no matter what Somone will cause it
to turn Ugly.

We are all in this Hobby for one reason.
we love history.

let's keep it at that.

Jeff[/mod]

billn1956

Jan 2, 2010

Why does banner not go by number of people voteing it banner ?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread