Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's rare I Find alot of Nickels,
But certain sites seem to produce them Regularly.

I Think mostly sites that the rest has been Cherry Picked out

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I find nickels much less than other coins. On my F75, a solid reading of 29-30 VDI will usually result in a nickel find, but, it has been wrong, ;D. The best I have ever done on nickels was 17 in one hunt of about 5 1/2 hours. I like finding nickels....has to be something to do with it being a thicker coin or something (I haven't found a half or dollar yet, :().

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Nickels for the most part I think are used less than of all other coins. I use a coin sorter for my everyday change that I take out of my pockets and nickels will be the last to fill up. Pennies fill up 2x faster than any of the coins.

Most of the nickels I dig up are 20-30 years old and older. I'll find a newer nickel after every 4 or 5 that I dig.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
19Blockhead64 said:
Nickels for the most part I think are used less than of all other coins.

I Don't get alot of nickels in change Either.

For some reason Most items don't come out
to a price where a Nickle is needed in return.

Pennies & Dimes seem to be most popular change

OP
OP
m bryan

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pennies also seem to blend with the ground making it easier to lose.....

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Last trip to the beach at OC Md. produced mostly nickels, When I thought about it I believe other THs on the beach have descriminated them out. They sit in that very small area between pulltabs and brass cartridges.
I descriminate only the screen.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
With my first detector I usually had them discriminated out. With the DFX, I find them, but I have to go by the sound. I don't think there was that many nickels lost from what I find, but I probably pass over a lot of them.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For some reason I have found more nickels with my ACE250 than any other detector I have used. And that includes a couple of the "higher end" detectors I have owned. I guess it may be because I don't discriminate as much when using the ACE? Monty

Coin Digger

Jul 13, 2008
Williams County Ohio
Detector(s) used
Whites Classic 3 SL
Fisher F2
Bounty Hunter Platinum
Whites XLT
Nokta Legend
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Monty said:
For some reason I have found more nickels with my ACE250 than any other detector I have used. And that includes a couple of the "higher end" detectors I have owned. I guess it may be because I don't discriminate as much when using the ACE? Monty

I know why you find more with the Ace 250. You've learned your machines language. :icon_thumleft:

Yard Digger

Dec 20, 2009
Manila, Arkansas
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 with Bounty Hunter Headphones and TX-2002 Pin Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I often wonder about nickels myself. I find far less than any other coins with my BH Pioneer 101. It's very limited I guess as far as discrimination goes, but for now thats all I have. I probably pass over a lot of them because they sound too much like pull tabs and small bits of aluminum.
Yard Digger

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't think it's as much as about knowing my ACE 250 as it is the location where I find most of the nickels. I check around public events sites that have outside or detached ticket booths such as athletic fields. But I have always found a lot more nickels in those areas with the ACE 250 than any of my other detectors. I remember when I first got the ACE and started learning it, I made a post here that it was a nickel magnet. Monty

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
the ace 2fiddy discrimination is set up to knock out iron up to the nickel...and above a nickel to a penny is knocked out.... that setting drives you nuts up here ....lots of nickel in the ground......or at least my is uncle is driven their any ways...I don't know a bout that detector....

calbear

Jan 29, 2007
SoCal
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon, Tesoro Vaquero, Eric Foster PI, White's gold detector
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
When I got my Tejon, my nickle finds double maybe even tripled :hello2:. I can tell when I go to a park that who ever was there before me. Discriminated out pull tabs and nickles. I know then my chances of finding a ring is real good. I also have talked to others who discriminate out the zinc's. I have found silver rings in the zinc range also.
I found that I relied on the VDI reading, rather than letting my mind & ears do the deciding. Still love to use my XL Pro, but I just don't look at the Vdi :laughing7: I have to say the XL Pro is a quarter magnet ;D

appleton hunter

Greenie
Feb 2, 2005
6-7 % of my finds have been nickels. I record my finds on a spreedsheet and this has been my average over the last five years. :icon_sunny:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread