Has anyone used Craigs List to seek permission to hunt?

B

Bev

Has anyone used Craigs List to seek permission to hunt? Staying away from the stupid areas of Craigs List, I posted a small ad asking for permission to hunt. I kept it vague so they don't know my age, gender or when I would go so that I can maintain some anonymity. I didn't promise anything except that I would follow the ethics and be responisible. I thought this way I could print the Email and have it on hand in case anyone disputes it. I'd like to hear if anyone else tried this.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have used Craigs list looking for properties to hunt. I have had only 2 people response to my asking and gotten permission from both. I have done better in getting permission when I talk to people in person.....Matt

Frank1960

Nov 13, 2009
Evans Colorado
Detector(s) used
AT Max
I would think people would be leary about responding to an ad like that what with all the wierdos out there now a days and the economy you never know what might come by your place so I for one wouldn't reply to an ad like that.

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
better to look someone in the eye so to speak.....too many nuts out there....take you to a remote spot and "Jack" you up.

OP
OP
B

Bev

:laughing9: :laughing9:
Darn I forgot! I'm the weirdo!

I was trying to be vague of when I'd go for my own safety but never thought about it the other way around!

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I did and got permission to hunt a few different places when I used to live up in Springfield, Missouri for college. One of the places was a home that was build by a Civil War general and the home owner had the original deed signed by that general. Unfortunately, the place didn't turn up much at all because it appeared to have had a bunch of fill dirt added at some point. Anyway, it was neat and using Craigslist isn't always a terrible thing. You just have to be selective, just like anything else online.

Bran <><

Attachments

• 0305091642.jpg
    0305091642.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 308
  • 0305091643.jpg
    0305091643.jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 310

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Bev, I had a post on this a while back. Here's the secret to gettimg permission. Talk to the person face to face. Tell no one else of the search. Now when you talk to the person that has the property, make them feel that they are getting something out of this. Offer to split the finds 50/50 with them. Anything of high value gets an offer from a jewler to establish "real" value. If the owner wants it, he gets it for 50% of the appraised value. Every thing else is picked on an alternate pic basis. Get the rules straight before you start.
Now how do I locate places. Here's my secret on that. I do art work, photography and painting so I work art shows. A lot of people that come to art shows live in big old houses. I give out business cards that I make on 140# cold press paper. Here's what they say.

Archaeological
Search & Recovery
My Name
My address
My E Mail address

Now your wondering, does this work! My last search among other things turned up a 3ct. ruby and gold ring and a 200 year old blacksmith made ax which I conserved.

Attachments

• ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 257
  • ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 223
  • ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    ruby gold ring 700.jpg
    75.4 KB · Views: 266
  • ax300.jpg
    ax300.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 227
OP
OP
B

Bev

Oh- I remember reading about the axe head! I thought that was pretty interesting! Thanks for the tips, I appreciate it very much! I love seeing finds like those, it keeps me motivated!

twomtns2002

Jun 30, 2010
Area 51
Hoang Ho Consulting is looking for a SW US/Yuma area detector for to verify some of the spots we have ID'ed as being lost and abandoned property.
We also have been trying to sell our positive locations on the internet at Ebay as Conceptual art since some of our sites do not have historical back-up.
We claim that the Revolutionary War was out here and also the Romans.
Contact us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/treasurerecyclingdevelopment once there search for Yuma in the photos etc....

CEO at [email protected]

NHBandit

Silver Member
Feb 21, 2010
Formerly NH now East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
Garrett GtaX1250
twomtns2002 said:
Hoang Ho Consulting is looking for a SW US/Yuma area detector for to verify some of the spots we have ID'ed as being lost and abandoned property.
We also have been trying to sell our positive locations on the internet at Ebay as Conceptual art since some of our sites do not have historical back-up.
We claim that the Revolutionary War was out here and also the Romans.
Contact us at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/treasurerecyclingdevelopment once there search for Yuma in the photos etc....

CEO at [email protected]
Spam ALERT

Blacksheep

Bronze Member
Dec 25, 2007
Wisconsin
godisnum1 said:
I did and got permission to hunt a few different places when I used to live up in Springfield, Missouri for college. One of the places was a home that was build by a Civil War general and the home owner had the original deed signed by that general. Unfortunately, the place didn't turn up much at all because it appeared to have had a bunch of fill dirt added at some point. Anyway, it was neat and using Craigslist isn't always a terrible thing. You just have to be selective, just like anything else online.

Bran <><

Fantastic home Bran! Surprised nothing turned up here but bet it was a blast. ;)
I used CL to acquire new private lands to hunt artifacts on with fairly good results, I did offer to pick rocks from
the fields in return. :coffee2:

godisnum1

Silver Member
May 7, 2005
Saint Petersburg, FL
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend Pro Pack, Nokta Legend WHP w/ LG24 coil, Nokta Pulse Dive Pinpointer, White's IDX Pro (x2), Vibraprobe 570
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Blacksheep said:
Fantastic home Bran! Surprised nothing turned up here but bet it was a blast. ;)
I used CL to acquire new private lands to hunt artifacts on with fairly good results, I did offer to pick rocks from the fields in return. :coffee2:

I agree, it's a beautiful home! Hannah and I drive by it almost every time I fly up there. I pointed it out when we drove past it a couple of weeks ago and so wished I could hit it again. Especially across the street where the foundation for the barn and a few other foundations used to be. Around the home was probably the only place that had the fill dirt too... but Stevesno, Gypsyheart, and myself all had a good time trying. Gypsy even found a Merry Windows tin... :laughing7:

Bran <><

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions