New member here, could use some suggestions/help

dondawg00

Nov 14, 2010
Riverside, NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Hello everyone, I am new here, and just started metal detecting about a month ago. I am still a noob at detecting but I really enjoy the thrill of the hunt, and the historical aspect of it a lot. Now for my story (i'll make it short). I live in a house that was built sometime between 1855-1865, its a half a double with my parents on one side and me on the other. I have a Whites Spectrum XLT detector, so far I have only found clad coins, nothing older than 1965. The yard is not very big at all, maybe 60' x 60' of searchable ground. The best find I have had so far is a ww1 button. Everything was dug within 6", I like finding anything but I really want to find a coin from the 1800s, an indian penny would make my day. I have tweeked the AC sensitivity up alittle for more depth, hoping to find some older coins, nothing yet.

I have read that sometimes the older coins aren't always down deep. I am still happy with just finding clad, but would really love something older. Also, the pennies that I have dug, some of them look like acid was eating at them, my guess is there is something is the soil that is attacking them, it also seems like this is only the copper, the nickels, dimes and quarters don't have any problems. Anyway, the reason I am posting is to say Hi, and introduce myself. Any suggestions on looking around my yard or anyplace in that matter is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi
welcome and I am a newbie also.

just keep swinging in the yard...I am sure you will hit some great stuff.

treasurehound

Bronze Member
Jan 23, 2008
Morristown, Tennessee
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Minelab GPX 4500,
Minelab Equinox 800,
Garrett AT GOLD with NEL coil,
Garrett Sea Hunter
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to this addicting hobby. I would just keep hunting and you are bound to find some older coins. With a house that old try the back yard and see if you can find where the clothes line used to be. If there are some old trees try hunting around them. Hunt slow and you will find something old before too long. Let us know when you find your first oldie.

gunntekk1

Mar 19, 2005
Newport PA
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Discovery 2200 and ACE 250, AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
keep swinging. You will eventually find what You are looking for. I found that if you familiarize your self with coins and what they are made of, you can over look the bad ones and make usefull time looking for the good ones, example; pennies made from 1982 to present are (Zinkins) which are zink with a copper cover. that is probably why it was half eaten. another thing is to dig everything and you will hate doing that, but that will give you knowledge of your machine and you will learn that not every pull tab signal is a pull tab and you will be pleasently suprised.

OP
OP
D

dondawg00

Nov 14, 2010
Riverside, NJ
Detector(s) used
Whites Spectrum XLT
Thanks for the welcome! I will let you guys know how it goes, now I know why the pennies are half eaten!! Already learned something!
Thanks again, I will post my future finds :)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depends on the geology of the area on how deep finds may be. I found an 1876 dime 1 inch down, exactly where it was dropped. Along with other articles in the same range from the same time period. It's good to dig every signal in some areas. Take all the trash out. Another thing I like to do is go off into areas that would not give any indication you should look there. That's how I found the dime. Good Huntin!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread