Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
new to detecting and my friend Barb can't go to the old school we planned to hunt today.
Tax papers, etc. for her farm--she has to hit the accountant and banks and all that mess.....

well, ya know, I am kinda scared to go by myself...lol

Never been to that old school, Barb knew of it. It isn't too far from the house so it would be maybe a 1/2 hr drive-----but that uneasy feeling of going to an abandoned property by myself just gives me the willies....lol

hmmm....

I am thinking of just heading over to my farm (I got 120 acres) and rooting around but my FILs old homestead I want to hunt isn't available...deer season ya know and they all got guns out lol

I could just hit the pastures etc and goof off.

Anyone else get kinda scared in the beginning doing hunts in unknown places by themselves?????

probably just a gal thing right? :laughing9:

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Is there cell phone reception at the old school? You might want drive out there and see how you feel when you get there? A woman detecting alone could be iffey....check for sex offenders in the area on your computer......its good to be cautious but dont let fear keep you from a day out......just my opinion.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
The times we live in are dangerous for men or women if you are alone in a remote place. The odds are slim that anyone would bother you but it would only take that one crazy person to see that you were alone and easy prey. If you feel uncomfortable being out there alone wait until your friend can go with you. It will be safer and you will have a lot more fun, you won't be looking over your shoulder all the time either.

HH Charlie

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thanks M and Savant

Ya notice I am still here? lol
not detecting anywhere yet........I finished my basic work for this morning with the livestock etc and I "made" some free time for the day to hunt.

What worries me is---since Barb couldn't go....is this going to slow me down in exploring good hunt sites ya know. Do I have the gumption to go alone. No one of my friends but Barb owns a detector and she bought it mainly to find her property markers for her farm--- haha

I am now getting that feeling of "I could be seriously alone" in this hobby. While beach vacationing I detected like crazy while Tony (hubby) fished and my daughter played in the surf/sand. I just wandered and had a blast.

But I want to take this further ya know.....I want to do more and more hunts lol but all of the sudden that "I am doing this alone" feeling kicks in and stops me.

:dontknow:

Scary times are at our doorsteps and putting ones self in a more risky situation isn't smart, but as my avatar looks, I wouldn't back down easy---HA HA

I just kinda didn't expect this of me...to be timid to this point...hmmmm

ya know being the kind that is a loner type, I thought this would be a perfect 1 person hobby...to get out, enjoy the day etc and have fun------but the flip side of me all of the sudden says---lonely

weird I know lol

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
first off --I am a man a rather large man --but i do have health issues * so i understand

for your own personal protection ( a wise move anywhere outside your home these days) I say put a small 380 cal ( 9mm short ) pistol in yer pocket --or at least a lil can of pepper spray on your key ring -( if your gun afraid ) and carry a well charged cell phone * --

if the area is remote and lacks cell signal coverage try to hunt it with a freind for safety reasons -- however if its got cell coverage (in case of slip or fall type accidents - you can call for help ) and you got a self protection item with you ( for non accident type nasty people / animals) you can then go solo --

some places if not too bad -- i do solo --other more remote areas -- i take a freind --its vitally important that people know where you will be at and roughly about what time you plan to be back at --that way --if you are "missing" and "overdue" they will know when to start looking and where as well.

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The property owner knows you are out there so I am sure he will probably check in while you are there. Most of the time they want to make sure you left things as you found them and will probably be curious of what you found.

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
I own 3 detectors and often times take along friends that don't own their own, a second detector might get some of your other friends to tag along.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I agree Ivan
some places do require friends to be present....I will have to decide which locations...thanks

yes Outback---I know people want to know my finds...lol...I mentioned to hubby I might get out and detect last week but didn't get the chance that day, he came home from work and right thru the door he said--"what did ya find today?" Made me feel good and fuzzy haha

Great idea Savant
even a used cheaper detector as backup which I know I could get easily in a pawn shop around here would mean I could give someone the chance to go with me. I like it :)

just funny how I never thought this would be an effect on me...hunting alone? I feel bewildered that I got these feelings actually.....

jeff741972

Sep 13, 2008
Tamaqua Pa
Detector(s) used
V3i
Sometimes hunting alone is good, you can become one with the beeps, remember caddy shack? That's what I do.... ;D

thrillathahunt

Silver Member
Jul 24, 2006
TEXAS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I understand completely! I'm a guy and I don't like hunting in the wilds alone ;D I do hunt tot lots alone, but I figure that I'M the biggest meanest thing there. :laughing9:

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I think taking along someone would be best. If not I hope you have a cell phone and signal. Also carry pepper spray or something like that with you.
And please make sure someone knows where you are and what time you should return. It is no fun if you have to keep looking over your shoulder, so a hunting partner would be best.
Good Luck
Clayton

Pitch

Jul 27, 2003
I'm am not a girl so I probably can't relate to your feeling. I do have one trick I use in urban areas, I hide in plain sight. I put an orange cone by my vehicle I have a "Call before you Dig" bumper sticker,wear a yellow hardhat and a safety vest. I get totally ignored!

m bryan

Jun 12, 2010
east texas
Detector(s) used
Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pitch said:
I'm am not a girl so I probably can't relate to your feeling. I do have one trick I use in urban areas, I hide in plain sight. I put an orange cone by my vehicle I have a "Call before you Dig" bumper sticker,wear a yellow hardhat and a safety vest. I get totally ignored!
Awesome! I like that.....

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
lol I bet you would get totally ignored in that outfit :tongue3:

well I chatted with barb and we are going to hit the school Wed morning ---it is raining now and supposed to rain into tomorrow---so the ground should be easier digging for sure.
and yes, I will be looking for nice easy safe sites to do this hobby alone...thanks everyone

cheese

Silver Member
Jan 9, 2005
South Georgia
I had that feeling to start with, but it went away after the first few minutes out. I'm not female though, and I'm not one who looks like a good target, so I get left alone except for the occasional begger looking for a buck to buy some crack or a beer. That usually only happens at night when I'm hunting in town or in parks where they may be hanging out. If I get the spooky feeling like someone is watching or being suspicious, I just pack up and go or move somewhere else. I do carry a pistol sometimes, especially when hunting those old lots on the old side of town at night. Just stay in visible areas where people would be uncomfortable committing a wrong act, and carry some spray at least, or a small pistol if you are comfortable and properly trained. Get a carry permit if available and you can get some pistols that are tiny and light...they are comfortable to carry and give you a bit more courage, knowing you have lethal force on your side, if necessary. (having a pistol and knowing how to use it is generally a good idea no matter the situation). Make sure your cell is charged and you have service in the area, and have the number you want to call on the screen so you can hit send at a moments notice. Go to a thrift store and buy some fatigues that fit you and that will also make you appear less approachable and more intimidating.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You've had some good advice. I pretty much go out alone everywhere and don't worry too much. I have guns but usually don't carry them, because I figure if you got one, then I'll just take yours. I don't know why they keep bringin up the female thing. All jokin aside--let someone know where you're goin and when you plan to return. If you really feel uncomfortable, wait until you have a friend that can go with you. If you do decide to go the armed route, (don't think you really need to) remember that when you pull your gun shoot, don't wave it around givin a speech about how you don't want to shoot them.

Okie Hillbillies

Mar 4, 2007
Hello FarmerChick just take the cat that is in your avatar and no one will bother you. those fellows will get anyones attention. I have met a few and they are to be respected.

OkieHillBillie.

extractor

Silver Member
Sep 27, 2007
Sal Sagev Adaven
Detector(s) used
E-TRAC,,,, SOVEREIGN GT,,,, GP 3500,,,,
GB PRO.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
m bryan said:
Pitch said:
Awesome! I like that.....

great Idea ! :icon_thumleft: :icon_thumleft:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
just pack yer advatar cat wit ya --anyone bothers you chuck it at em

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
great advice given to me and I sure appreciate your replies!

yea I am the old school of --if I have a gun in my hand I pull the trigger than say, "I might shoot ya" lol

but kidding aside the advice is wonderful and I do feel like I got a better handle on the situation...I sure want to hunt, I just gotta keep in mind my locations and buddy system when I get the feeling that a location should have another person there.

I have an old ghost town in Lenior about 1 hr drive give or take----1916 flood and 1940 flood....and I so want to go and will----that is a definite buddy hunt. no way I would go there alone even if people knew I was going.......so all your posts put my mind at ease with this feeling a little out of place hunting alone.

I think all will be fine now--ya'll talked me down off the ledge haha

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread