Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I said this to my husband the other day.

If I want to detect other than my own property, what else is allowed without permission?

I think the State Parks of my state are allowed? heck I gotta check that

National Seashores are off limits but public beaches are allowed, right?

I know there are times I will detect without asking----like a new place I want to hit. An old school shut down a long time ago. I think my friend said it is going to be tore down she heard soon. I will just go there, park and detect. I won't be calling anyone even though I am sure I should be......

but I guess there are places that are "ok" and others you can't just walk in

I went to my Optimist Park up the road with 3 ball fields....never been....pulled in loaded to detect and read the Rule Sign......#1 you must have a member present to be on the premises. Well...I just kept driving around the lot and headed home....lol....I didn't know that lol

I will be interested to see what others say on this one

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
OutBack Duo said:
All property is owned by someone. There is no property that is just there. Even abandoned property still has an owner and shouldn't be detected without permission. Abandoned property would revert back to the city or county as soon as taxes become delinquent.

Correct. All property is 'owned by someone', either privately or publicly. Our settler days are long gone.
"Abandoned properties" do not mean 'abandoned ownership'. There is no point in the process where 'no one owns the property' and its use becomes a free-for-all.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Well sure then, if you think of it that way, nothing is ever "abandoned". So then, no matter how run down, lack of fences, signs, etc... No matter how much else the neighborhood uses a lot as a cut-through, no matter how little anyone seems to "care", no matter how far away and forgotten the owner is, no matter how little he cares, it is technically still owned by someone.

And to the extent that perhaps he looses it by lack of payment of property taxes, then sure, it's now "owned" by the county it's in. And I suppose to some people, they would think they therefore need to ask the county now (who themselves may leave it sitting with no care or usage).

I mean, go figure: there are folks here who would say you need permission from to hunt a public sandbox. So of course they would say not to step off the sidewalk to hunt a vacant lot, no matter how innocuous.

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Tom_in_CA said:
...it is technically still owned by someone.

Correct. His question was a technical question, not an ideological one.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
LS-morgon, if you read his question again, you will see contained both "technical" and "ideological" ....... both.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I'm lucky to have lots of public land around my neck of the woods. The dam system was built in the 1930's so the state bought a lot of land surrounding the rivers and creeks. A lot of that land is still wooded and used for public hunting. There are several cellar holes and one area in particular is pretty rich in 18th century indian/military history. It's nice that it's public, but I hate hunting season.

-swartzie

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Well...I'm just after the minerals under the land...silver, gold, copper.... :laughing7:

Al

dpitt8

May 2, 2008
wa
FarmerChick said:
I said this to my husband the other day.

If I want to detect other than my own property, what else is allowed without permission?

I think the State Parks of my state are allowed? heck I gotta check that

National Seashores are off limits but public beaches are allowed, right?

I know there are times I will detect without asking----like a new place I want to hit. An old school shut down a long time ago. I think my friend said it is going to be tore down she heard soon. I will just go there, park and detect. I won't be calling anyone even though I am sure I should be......

but I guess there are places that are "ok" and others you can't just walk in

I went to my Optimist Park up the road with 3 ball fields....never been....pulled in loaded to detect and read the Rule Sign......#1 you must have a member present to be on the premises. Well...I just kept driving around the lot and headed home....lol....I didn't know that lol

I will be interested to see what others say on this one

Is metal detecting allowed in a state park?

Metal detectors are not allowed in any park area except to locate lost personal property when authorized by a Special Activity Permit.

as found on http://www.ncparks.gov/Visit/faq/main.php and clicking on metal detecting.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
not sure about in N.C. but i swing my detector in state parks in PA, i'm sure every state has their own set of rules. just like in PA, some state parks require a permit some don't

ResearchandRecovery

Aug 9, 2007
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Just because land is listed as "public", it doesn't necessarily mean that we can detect it. It is always best to secure permission from the land owner or the agency who owns the land before you start digging holes.

Think of it as your land... Would you want someone out in your yard or field digging holes without talking to you first?

Unfortunately, I've had this problem with my land in Tennessee... A couple gentlemen took it upon themselves to start digging in my field and woods. I confronted them and asked why they didn't ask permission to hunt my land. When they couldn't answer my question, I asked them to leave or I would be calling the authorities. And of course, they left.

In my view, relics, coins, jewelry, etc is not worth being charged with a crime. Permission is golden. :icon_sunny:

ResearchandRecovery

Aug 9, 2007
East Tennessee
Detector(s) used
White's
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
ResearchandRecovery said:
Just because land is listed as "public", it doesn't necessarily mean that we can detect it. It is always best to secure permission from the land owner or the agency who owns the land before you start digging holes.

Think of it as your land... Would you want someone out in your yard or field digging holes without talking to you first?

Unfortunately, I've had this problem with my land in Tennessee... A couple gentlemen took it upon themselves to start digging in my field and woods. I confronted them and asked why they didn't ask permission to hunt my land. When they couldn't answer my question, I asked them to leave or I would be calling the authorities. And of course, they left.

In my view, relics, coins, jewelry, etc is not worth being charged with a crime. Permission is golden. :icon_sunny:

And had those 2 guys came and asked me permission to hunt, I would have given them permission and even would have went out to hunt with them.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
R&R, I would agree with you, on everything you say about private land. But on public land, I believe you do not "need permission", if it is not specifically dis-allowed. The permission is "implied", in my opinion (in much the same way you would need to ask permission to fly a frisbee, or whatever, if not specifically prohibited).

And no, I do not consider "destruction" and "vandalism" clauses to apply to us (your inference with "holes"). Because if you and I know we will leave no trace of our presence, then that's good enough. If you are "leaving holes all over the place" then you need to re-visit target-recovery 101 class.

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I will be detecting city property this weekend which is wooded and on the side of the hill not suitable for building. There is no fence or off limits signs so hopefully I won't have any problems. There was a Civil War Battle very near this location and I have heard stories from residents that live near the location of finding bullets and other artifacts just laying on the ground about 30 years ago. Hopefully I will not get arrested!

Don

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Don, why would you think that? Is there a sign there prohibiting your activity? Is there something in the city code you've read on their website that list rules, that forbids you ???

OP
OP
OutBack Duo

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tom_in_CA said:
Don, why would you think that? Is there a sign there prohibiting your activity? Is there something in the city code you've read on their website that list rules, that forbids you ???

I am just not used to detecting anywhere other than parks or schools with out asking someone. This will be a first for me. I know everything will be ok I made sure it was city property and that there is nothing stopping me from detecting it.

I will let you know how I make out.

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
haven't tried a state park but in my post I said I had to check them and see if it is allowed....from what you showed me it isn't but I will still contact a state park and hear it from them because I am that type...lol...I have to hear the NO just in case the rules have changed

but while in my little county park the other day finding coins in the playground, the landscape crew came by a few times and sure never said anything.

hmmm.....
and I have to check out the county parks as well lol

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
"I made sure it was city property and that there is nothing stopping me from detecting it."

Exactly. Which is why I struggle to understand why a person would fear being ...... "arrested"? :icon_scratch:

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
most parks have a list of rules at the parking lot, if "no metal detecting" isn't anywhere in the list of rules then i'd detect the place.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
State Parks in Texas are strictly off limits to MD'ing. Odd, however, city parks are cool with a free permit. The only exclusions are the parks associated with cemetaries or hysterical landmarks. Open campus schools are good to go, so long as there are no school activities taking place while MD'ing, but, you must get verbal permission from the principal of each school.

Unless I croak tonight, I am going hunting tomorrow!!!.......I going into withdrawal symptoms!....must have my hunt fix!@!!!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread