Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Treasure_Hunter said:
You need to decide first what you want to specialize in or hunt the most for....Detectors are like golf clubs different ones for different situtations. Are you going to hunt mostly land or water? Are you going to hunt for coins, jewelry, relics, or what? Decide where you want to start first and it will be easier to decide what to buy...

There is no one do it all detector......
I agree.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There is something newbies do not think of very often.....What will the resell value of the detector be if I want to upgrade.....Why buy a detector that want be worth 1/3 or 1/4 of what you paid for it in 18 months.....

OP
OP
C

cincyjon

Greenie
Nov 16, 2010
Treasure-Hunter -- what entry or lower medium level models / brands tend to hold a better value?

And to all, if you werent' a salesmen and a newbie again knowing what you know now (on a slight my wife thinks I'm crazy for doing this budget) what dectector would you by for coins/jewlry or all purpose hunting living in the ohio area??

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cincyjon said:
I would like to do everything....thats part of my problem. dumb what is cellar hunting? I know where a very old house that was torn down long ago and no one else knows where it is or at least not hunters. I know they had an out house and I've alway been told you can find a lot of stuff in those but I have no idea where it would have been.

I was told by the people at kellycodetectors they only way to go for a beginner is a fisher and specifically the F5 they told me you would out grow a garrett 250 or 350 in a year. Heck, I don't know I just need to order something an start playing.

Check out my website http://www.mymdforum.com I have pages written specifically for the newbie. As far as purchasing a detector I suggest you stay away from the lower end if you can. The Garrett Ace250 is good for the price but most people will out grow it really fast. If at all possible I would try to spend $500 or $600 on a detector that is going to last you a while that is going to have some of the more advanced options that will make your detecting experience the best it can be. I suggest you get one with Tone ID, with tone ID you can hear the diffent sounds each target makes and that will help you decide to dig or not.

Feel free to contact me personally if you have other questions.

Don

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cincyjon said:
Is "Tone ID" the same as "Audio Tones" or "Number of Tones" in the specs?

yes, you want to be able to hear what each target sounds like and after some practice you will know which targets are more likely to be treasure and which ones are more likely to be trash. The Ace 250 doesn't have this.

OP
OP
C

cincyjon

Greenie
Nov 16, 2010
OK, hopefully this will be it........
What are your thoughts on the following?

Fisher F4
Fisher F5 (Is it worth the 100ish dollars more then the F4)
Xterra 305
Xterra 505 (Is it worth the 100ish dollars more then the 305)

OutBack Duo

Apr 21, 2005
Olathe, KS
Detector(s) used
Minelab SE PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cincyjon said:

Fisher F4
Xterra 305

Normally I would say go for the Minelabs but they are not the best when it comes to low or mid level machines. In the examples above I would pick the F5. I like the larger display and the controls are easier to work than the F4 in my opinion.

The Xterra choices are a little too cheap looking and feeling for me.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
cincyjon said:

Fisher F4
Xterra 305

cincyjon,

Keep asking any questions you have, you are asking intelligent questions, responding back and listening to the advice....

OP
OP
C

cincyjon

Greenie
Nov 16, 2010
Just ordered a Fisher F5

Thanks to everyone for the advice! Stay tuned for more questions, I'm sure I'll need your help.

thanks again
Jon

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread