Overwhelmed - need help getting started

cincyjon

Greenie
Nov 16, 2010
OK, I've done some research on the internet and have bought a few treasure hunters mags, I'm trying to get started by first buying a metal detector but I don't want to make a mistake and also don't want to get caught up in "ours is the best" type sales pitches.

So saying that, what I'm looking to do is buy a metal detector at of course at a fair price and basically don't want to buy it twice while I'm still in the beginner mode. So I would like something that a beginner can use but a person who has been metal detecting for a few years would also be happy with. I would like it to be upgradable and something I can grow with.

So any help on brands, models etc would be welcomed, I just feel like I'm getting lost before I start!

Thanks

Jon

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
my experience was this---

I am the type that jumps in water without checking the depth lol

I loved metal detecting, never did it, wanted to do it, and took hubby one day out of the blue to Bass Pro Shop (which he would never refuse to go)---and looked at what was on the shelf and bought a Bounty Hunter LoneStar. Not the cheapest they had, not the most expensive they had--but it had enough for me to get started right away and enough bells and whistles for me to have it for a good many years before wanting that "over $1000 unit"---- :laughing7:

I like mine...I am getting used to the different beeps, and figuring out how metals register on the range.

Will be interested to see what others say but for me, I am not the research type. I just take my wallet and go to the store :o and having tons of fun with my BH

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Well just about everyone here agrees with a Garret ace 250,that's what I have(borrowed),but just search this web site and read all reviews,also watch the videos on Youtube. :hello:

sgratrider

Sep 21, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Do you have a price limit? Where and what are you hunting, as in beach, land? Can't really go wrong with Tesoro brand with their lifetime warranty. Answer the price limit question and i believe you will get some better advice, or suggestions once that's covered. Welcome aboard to a relaxing yet very thrilling hobby.

OP
OP
C

cincyjon

Greenie
Nov 16, 2010
I've been on to jump in 100% and with open pocket books also and look back and see a lot of things that are top of the line and they are just gathering dust, plus I've found the learning curve is much more difficult on some advanced toys.

I really don't want to spend more then 500 dollars. I am going to mostly going to hunt around old houses / cabins or where they used to be. I have property where there were 2 or 3 log cabins and barns, they were turn of the century or earlier and have been gone for 30+ years. I'm in south eastern ohio so no beaches, well there is the ohio river....lol. I remember when I was a kid and me and my dad went metal detecting back in the late 70's early 80's ( I know he had a white but not sure what model) and I loved it. I now have a 4 year old who I would like to introduce to it. he loves the outdoors and i want to keep it that way......

OP
OP
C

cincyjon

Greenie
Nov 16, 2010
What are some good online stores to buy from, i've seen prices all over the place.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to decide first what you want to specialize in or hunt the most for....Detectors are like golf clubs different ones for different situtations. Are you going to hunt mostly land or water? Are you going to hunt for coins, jewelry, relics, or what? Decide where you want to start first and it will be easier to decide what to buy...

There is no one do it all detector......

OP
OP
C

cincyjon

Greenie
Nov 16, 2010
I would say coins and jewlry mostly and I live in ohio so it will be land. I guess our soil can be more clay like also.

Eric Willoughby

Jun 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
Currently Pilfered!
Jon, the dealers on here are extremely honest, they will tell you everything you need to know between the different detectors and they will tell you the truth, even if it means that they wont make a sale. This has been my experience on the board, they won't give you a sales pitch just to make a fast buck.

I am a new to metal detecting myself, but I do a lot of research.

Here are my suggestions:

Garrett Ace 250 (beginner level)
Garrett Master Hunter Cx Plus
Tesoro Tejon
Tesoro Super Lobo
Whites MXT

There are a lot of other great brands/models out there, just check the reviews at:

www.metaldetectorreviews.net

Also, don't be shy to buy one second hand, just do your research and make sure it was cared for really well.

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
nothing is worse then gettin a "cheap" detector and then wanting to upgrade after a year. if ya think your gonna be serious about the hobby i'd look into a mid range or a good used upper range detector off craigslist or ebay. i have a garrett and they are easy to learn, great at locating coins and jewlery and garret has several price ranges. if you know someone that has a detector maybe borrow theirs for a couple hours and see if ya like it before shelling out the money. if ya get a cheap detector or one that is hard to understand its very easy to lose interest in the hobby. personally i like garretts GTI series for the fact they have the size imaging which saves me time digging non coin sized objects. if ya check around you can find those on ebay for under 500 bucks. what ever ya choose just make sure ya do some research on the model ya want and make sure it suits your type of hunting.

Chug And Red

Gold Member
Feb 18, 2010
Vancouver WA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Chug)Whites Classic 5 ID, (Red Whites Coin master Pro)

Chug and Reds New Additions

Give It Up>> Garrett's AT Pro
Buttercup>> Garrett's Ace 250
Show Me the Money>> Garrets Ace 400
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Make the jump!!!! Buy what you can afford and go for it !!!!!!

I'm on my second detector and Seriously looking for a water/ground Detector fresh water!!!!

The one I'm using now is just Little over 6 months old and has Found allot of great finds!!!!

Now if they could build one with a heater for my hands!!!! I could detect when its cold out I don't mind Chiseling out ICY dirt!!!! HH chug

OP
OP
C

cincyjon

Greenie
Nov 16, 2010
"ya get a cheap detector or one that is hard to understand its very easy to lose interest in the hobby" - Dogpound, that is exactly what I am trying to avoid.....also, please tell me dogpound have nothing to do with the Browns!

Craigslist worries me a bit, Ebay has better protection for the buyer......what do you think about Kellycodetectors? thats most likely where i'll buy if i get a new or refurb.

The hand warmers??? thats where the inventor needs to come out...nothing a few wires and batteries couldn't make! lol go for it!

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i've never had a problem with kellyco. all 3 of my garretts came from them, best prices and good customer service and i think free shipping on detectors.

and pogpound has nothing ta do with the browns..lol

willie d

Silver Member
Jul 13, 2005
Close enough to the beach
Detector(s) used
**Tesoro Tiger Shark** Tesoro Silver Umax** Minelab Sov Gt w/WOT coil** Whites 6000Di Pro SL**
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I would say check the manufacturers websites for local dealers. Try and find a dealer who carries a number of brands. This way, the dealer can show you the different features of the different detectors.

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
nothing is worse then gettin a "cheap" detector and then wanting to upgrade after a year

Oh yeah?
I can think of several things worse.
A sleeping rattlesnake and an angry wife are two that immediately come to mind.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oldcoon said:
nothing is worse then gettin a "cheap" detector and then wanting to upgrade after a year

Oh yeah?
I can think of several things worse.
A sleeping rattlesnake and an angry wife are two that immediately come to mind.

dogpound said:
nothing is worse then gettin a "cheap" detector and then wanting to upgrade after a year.

Are you talking about upgrading the detector or the wife... ;D :laughing9:

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
The Ace 250 worked very well for me when I started. I'll still take it out if I'm hunting for clad in a park. It works really good for that. The only reason I bought a Tesoro Tejon is because I almost exclusively hunt cellar holes and open woods for relics. The Tejon does a wonderful job rejecting iron when you want to and does a wonderful job in all metal mode as well. I wouldn't use the Tejon to hunt for coins/jewelry in a park though. But, to get started to see what kind of hunting you like the 250 is a decent machine for the money. Also, you may want to consider getting a pinpointer. It's almost a must have really.

-Swartzie

OP
OP
C

cincyjon

Greenie
Nov 16, 2010
I would like to do everything....thats part of my problem. dumb what is cellar hunting? I know where a very old house that was torn down long ago and no one else knows where it is or at least not hunters. I know they had an out house and I've alway been told you can find a lot of stuff in those but I have no idea where it would have been.

I was told by the people at kellycodetectors they only way to go for a beginner is a fisher and specifically the F5 they told me you would out grow a garrett 250 or 350 in a year. Heck, I don't know I just need to order something an start playing.

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
I have an Etrac, and it is expensive. however, a good detector for a newbie is the Garrett Ace 250. it is a lightweight, strong detector with some of the bells and whistles from a high dollar detector. it is a turn on and go MD without a lot of training needed. the most important thing you have to do regardless of what you buy, read the manual and when you're done with that, read the manual, and after all that, read it again. basically, learn everything you can about your MD and put that in your memory. another good place is to find a forum where you can talk to others about the MD you bought and again, learn everything you can
good luck and let us know what you decide

ddjames

Aug 30, 2009
Rural Palmyra, Iowa
Detector(s) used
Equinox 800, Garrett Pro Pointer, Whites V3i, Whites TRX pinpointer, Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Started with the Ace 250. Still love it and use it. Bought a used DFX for $425 on craigslist. Love it and if I have some one come with me they can use the Ace. I have found great things with both and they are both fun to learn. Best investment I have made though is the Garrett Pro Pinpointer and the Lesch digger trowel. That combo makes clean quick recovery.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread