X-Terra 705 Fast set-up question

wyatt

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2010
MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
I'm looking for some advice from Minelab X-Terra 705 owners. I'd like to see some simple field set-up proceedures some of you are using that gets results for coins and relics around old antebellum homes. I have an opportunity to search several pre- civil war homes in my area and can't wait to see what's there. I know if you 'dig' everything you won't 'miss' anything, but I don't want it to look like a prairie dog farm to the owner! Some of these places have nice thick manicured lawns, so if I can use a setting that will be a sure-fire hit worth digging and skip everything else ... well, you get the picture! I have a pinpointer and generally use a screwdriver to probe with. I've had my X-Terra 705 for three weeks. Thanks for the help!

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Arm your self with a Double d coil...deeper penetration in mineral ground, better target separation...witch will aid in your search for happiness...

KurtB

Sep 8, 2006
Lincoln, Nebraska
Detector(s) used
Xterra 70, CZ20, IDX Pro
In very trashy sites you will find more good targets by using less discrimination. Sometimes I will reject the highest notch, #48 if I get a lot of false high tones. Turn off tracking and don't go crazy on the sensitivity. If you get a target that sounds good and only varies by two or three numbers there is a very good chance the target is a good one. If it jumps around any more than that it is probably junk. I like 3 tone audio but many like the multi tone option. If you have properly ground balanced and noise cancelled and the audio is still too busy, you may want to switch to one of the small coils.
Depending on how much time you have to hunt this area and the types of targets you expect to find, you could customize a pattern to accept those targets and cherry pick the area. Then if you go back use less discrimination and find what you missed the first time. When I go to a new spot I usually dig anything above iron for the first half an hour or so just to get an idea of what is in the ground and what they id at. If there are people around I would wear headphones. If not, all that beeping may attract attention and take away from your hunting time. If you find a real good target, look around real good before you do the happy dance. Some owners don't like that.

Good luck. It sounds like you found a good spot.

Kurt

OP
OP
wyatt

wyatt

Tenderfoot
Oct 21, 2010
MO
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 705
I'm practicing. And I'm learning how to pothole and plug too!!!! By the way, I found an old D.M. & CO. smokehouse padlock at a house built in 1861.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread