New to this site and need help.What is the better unit?

ORFishGuide

Dec 3, 2010
Hi Everyone,
I just found your webiste today and this is my first post. I guess that is what you call it. Anyway. I have been looking to buy a detector for a couple years now. I found three that I would like your opinion on. They are all close to the same price, around $700. I found a MineLab Excaliber 1000, Whites DFX Spectrum E-series and a Whites Surf PI Pro Duel Field. I live in Oregon so I will be doing a lot of looking here along the coast and at old homesteds I know about. I also own a hunting outfit in Wyoming and have thousands of acres that has never been looked at. There is so much old cowboy and indian history out there. Being an outfitter, there are times of the year that I just need something to do. This looks like fun. Thanks for the help. Jon

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Jon, welcome to Tnet. :hello:

Of the 3 detectors you mentioned I think the DFX would be the one for you since most of your detecting will be on dry ground. The Excal 1000 though fantastic for beach hunting as is the White's would be heavier than need be because they are water detectors and built to withstand the pressure. If you have the cash I would get the Excal and the DFX at the same time. I have the both of them and the Excal 1000 isn't made anymore. I think the Excal 1000 is better than the Excal II which most hunters seem to have problems with right now. Read everything you can about the hobby and the detectors as it is the only hobby that pays us back in $$$ and fun. :thumbsup:

Suggest you subscribe to Western & Eastern Treasures magazine too. :read2:
http://www.treasurenet.com/westeast/

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher
Welcome to Tnet
I agree with sandman, the excal is a really good water detector. But if you are going to be out on the range as much as you indicate. I believe the DFX would be my first choice. First you need to decide what type of detecting you will be doing the most of, that should drive your for your first detector. Second what type of detecting do you want to do water, surf, beach then you will be looking for coins and jewelry. Or range, old homesteads, stage coach stops, ghost towns, one room school s, then these would be some of the items to discover old coins, relics, caches.
Tnet is a great source of information, this web site covers every aspect of detecting and then some. Then add all of the great people on this site and you have a winning combination. If you find something and don't know what it is or how old it is, just post it under the appropriate category and I will guarantee you that 99% of the time someone will have an answer, if not they have some great interpretations as to what it might be and that makes it 100% lol.
Take a look at the different forms on here and read the stories that interest you, ask questions, there are new people on here almost everyday. There are many of us that detecting is a passion with us and it shows by the many posts and discoveries listed in the forms.

OP
OP
O

ORFishGuide

Dec 3, 2010
Hey Sandman and KC10BUll,
Thank you very much for yor help. What you said is what I thought I was reading about the detectors. This is all new to me but something I have been wanting to get into. Since I am a guide and outfitter, there are times of the year that not a lot is going on and thought it would be a good time to play. I do have one more question for you. Can a person use the DFX in the surf if you are just going knee deep? I understand that the box is not water proof and that the Excaliber is better for that but is it worth trying the DFX in surf? Thanks for your help and hope you guys have a great holiday season. Jon

Cladjunkie

Nov 16, 2010
The only problem I see is it sounds like he new to metal dectecting, none of the 3 detector would I recommend for someone just starting out more so for the MineLab Excaliber or the Whites DFX. Both of these have a high learning curve. The MXT on the other hand is easy to learn and can grow with you as you gain experience. The MXT would also do well for the kind of hunting and areas you would like to hunt. Just my two cents here

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cladjunkie said:
The only problem I see is it sounds like he new to metal detecting, none of the 3 detector would I recommend for someone just starting out more so for the MineLab Excalibur or the Whites DFX. Both of these have a high learning curve. The MXT on the other hand is easy to learn and can grow with you as you gain experience. The MXT would also do well for the kind of hunting and areas you would like to hunt. Just my two cents here

Excal is not that hard to learn at all, just takes a little practice with the tones and no problem with iron. Dual Field will be little harder since it has almost no discrimination at all and is a PI detector. DFX takes more studying of the manual and more practice.

Orfishguide, there is no one do it all detector, detecting is a lot like golf, golf uses different clubs for different situations, same with detectors, you use different detector for different situations. Pick which style of detecting you will hunt the most starting off, start there and consentrate on it first.

Any non-water proof detector will be toast if you slip, trip, or get hit by a rouge wave even in shallow water....If your watch the classifieds here you will find some good used detectors you can buy from some members you can trust. You can save a lot of money that way and get 2 for the price of 1 new one. If you don't want to buy used, there are trustworthy dealers here who will work with you....

Good luck and welcome to Treasurenet and the addiction............

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
GO LITE !!!! :icon_thumleft: ace 350 , xterra , fisher F5 - f70 , somethinng you can swing all day , brake apart and fit in a day sack No what I mean ....go to the metaldetecting reviews section
http://www.kellycodetectors.com has sweet winter deals ,

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
007 said:
GO LITE !!!! :icon_thumleft: ace 350 , xterra , fisher F5 - f70 , somethinng you can swing all day , brake apart and fit in a day sack No what I mean ....go to the metaldetecting reviews section
http://www.kellycodetectors.com has sweet winter deals ,

I can swing my Excal from dawn to dusk with my straight shaft and harness...........Make your own straight shaft for it so it seperates in the middle, you can carry it anywhere......

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread