Burnt Chimney

Nov 14, 2008
Hornet Nest North Carolina
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
MXT F-75 AT-Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The old days version of the basement for keeping produce canned goods and cured meat , when the house is long gone the hole in the ground will mark the spot .
If the house burned the good stuff will end up here .

watercolor

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2007
Arlington Heights, IL
Detector(s) used
V3i, MXT-All Pro and Equinox 800
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Not a stupid question. . . really :)

Cellar holes are sort of a generic term for what's left of former home-sites.

Around where I live, cellar hole indications are usually shallow depressions in
the ground with scattered bricks or medium-sized rocks around the edges with
TONS of metal, broken glass, ceramics. . . (and other cool stuff that my wife won't allow
in the house ::) ) strewn around the perifery. . . oh, and also old coins :icon_sunny:.

Most of the cellar hole locations I've found were by researching land ownership maps
(Plat Maps) from the 19th-century at my local library (in the Geneology section) and on
the internet. Some of these plats I've looked at even had small squares indicating where
buildings once stood.

Many times I will look at Google Earth imagery and HistoricAerials.com of the public areas I
am allowed to hunt and then check out the older plats of these areas that have homesites
indicated. I can then match up the current Google aerials with these maps.

Another good source are out-of-print USGS Topographic maps from the late 1890's & early 1900's.
Some libraries and/or the county court house may have actual copies or reproductions of these maps
that you can look at or make copies of. These will also have cultural features (man-made structures,
roads, etc.) indicated on them that you may be able to match up with current mapping or aerial
photos.

Researching can be half the fun. . . and when you find a site that has cool stuff, it's even more rewarding.

Good luck & HH!

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
wow
thanks for the info guys

this sure helps me alot and now I understand! :)

I gotta go searching me a cellar hole :laughing9:
and yea I know where 2 of those situations are so I will hit them and see what happens!
appreciate the info!

Bum Luck

Silver Member
May 24, 2008
Wisconsin
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2SE, GARRETT GTI 2500, Garrett Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Don't forget to look for the "garbage" dump, some distance from the house. I used to find great old bottles in them, the older ones on the bottom.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Where I come from cellar holes have nothing to do with the house. They were holes dug in the ground that you went to for protection from tornadoes. 'Storm Shelters'. They could be very simple, a hole in the ground, to more elaborate, concrete walls and roof, steps, and a door. You pretty much included this addition in your home plans in Oklahoma. They still do. It was also the handiest place for storing canned goods, so they're a good source of old jars and bottles. Do not overlook the outhouse site on old homeplaces, either.

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
thats for the site I have it bookmarked and have been reading a bunch already lol

yea I thought of cellars, as in "storm cellars" but the more I check into it they do seem like a general term for "around the house" etc

at least I know now! :)

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Not a stupid question at all. Now your catching on. Just don't fall in one. They are all over near you in the woods , and sometimes you never know they are there.. Seriously. I find some good stuff in them.

Good luck

OP
OP
FarmerChick

FarmerChick

Bronze Member
Nov 10, 2010
North Carolina
Detector(s) used
BH LoneStar
AT PRO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
4-H said:
Not a stupid question at all. Now your catching on. Just don't fall in one. They are all over near you in the woods , and sometimes you never know they are there.. Seriously. I find some good stuff in them.

Good luck

Am I going to be hunting some woods and run into you?
:laughing7:

oh yea, I am starting to think more about "where to hunt" and realizing I gotta get that mindset of thinking about olden times and how they moved, gathered, etc.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread