Gasparillas treasure map on engraved copper plate?

emac11201

Nov 1, 2010
Gasparilla's treasure map on engraved copper plate?

I've been reading a lot about Gasparilla and his treasure, and in every story they bring up an engraved copper plate which has an encrypted message on it that supposedly leads the way to his loot. Does this copper plate actually exist or is it a myth? If so, where is it? In a museum? Any info would be great, thanks!

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Re: Gasparilla's treasure map on engraved copper plate?

I was curious about this Gasparilla, since you brought it up. According to Wikipedia, he was never mentioned in print before 1900, and his very existence is disputable. Have you seen any first hand references older than those by the Gomez character mentioned there?

Wiki makes it sound like:
a)One old geezer wanders around mumbling "I'm a pirate!" (Don't we all, on our better days?)
b)Some resort brochure says "Come visit Pirate Island!" using the geezer as reference.
c)All later research is based on the resort brochure.

Nobody take the above as fact, it's one tired, slightly intoxicated guy's interpretation of sketchy reference material that "anyone" can edit.

OP
OP
E

emac11201

Nov 1, 2010

Good point. I've read that a bit too, I'm just interested in the people who have supposedly seen this copper plate first hand (such as Jeffrey Kramer, who says he saw a picture of it). If it actually exists, who has it? I would love to just get more info on that, rather than any supposed treasure map.

kc10bull

Jan 20, 2006
Palm Harbor, FL
Detector(s) used
excal / Fisher

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO

I tried several combinations of Gaspar, Gasparilla, copper, map, and treasure in Google Image Search.
Lots of bronzed (Coppertoned?) beauties at the at the annual festival, but no etched maps. Good luck!

theseeker

Mar 4, 2009
Detector(s) used
White's Surf PI Pro Dual Field/Minelab Sovereign Elite/Goldbug II/Goldbug Pro

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Slugrusher said:
And I thought Gasparilla was just a time to go boating and enjoy some grog with friends in Tampa Bay? :occasion14:
He/It is. Complete fiction and a reason to party.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I thought Gasparilla is what you got from drinking too much Sarsaparilla :tongue3:

mebesaturday

Tenderfoot
Jan 4, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

i have seen this written in a few places, written on the copper plate was:

O-X-NXW 1/4 W – VER – VAR
LEGUA 1/10
0O-X-SWXW – VER – VAR
HASTA X

of course "ver var" translates to, see you or you go
"legua" is league or "the league is still commonly used in the original sense of the distance that can be covered on foot in an hour" (Mexican League)
and "Hasta X" to x or x marks the spot

that is all

Keppy

Gold Member
Nov 19, 2006
N.E. Ohio on lake Erie
Detector(s) used
** WHAT ONE I FEEL LIKE ON HUNTING DAY *****
Primary Interest:
Other

GoodyGuy said:
I thought Gasparilla is what you got from drinking too much Sarsaparilla :tongue3:
yes sir for that is what i get..........

Lna

Feb 11, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've been reading and studying the copper engraved map for 2 years and i got it, now I need some help to go there. [email protected]

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread