fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hello everyone. I made a trip to the savers here in town tonight and picked up some salad tossers that say "Godinger Silver Art Co" on them. Was wondering if anyone knows what composition of silver they are? Got them both for 8 dollars and together the weight is 12.45 ounces. Also scored a fork for .30 cents but Im not sure if its silver or not. That one weighs 1.46 ounces. Does anyone have any info on these?

Attachments

• 004.JPG
    004.JPG
    63 KB · Views: 465
  • 005.JPG
    005.JPG
    94.7 KB · Views: 467
  • 006.JPG
    006.JPG
    56.8 KB · Views: 462

liftloop

Silver Member
May 7, 2008
lakelinden mi
Detector(s) used
MXTdeepscan 8by14dd, bulls eye 2, 5900diprosl Maxima1500, Master Hunter cx plus Treasure Hound, surf
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
.........................................................Wow that's cool.....................................................................................

pinebarrens1

Dec 20, 2007
bayville nj
Detector(s) used
minelab xs
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
most silver i have found and sold have sayed ...... sterling , .925 , or .800 ..... everything else i have found with out the wording has been junk .......

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I think the salad tossers are plated only. I think the fork is silver but Im not exactly sure. I found a few things on the markings but nothing concrete.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
see the little marks on the end those are called "hall marks" -- often they mean its sterling or 925 silver

Marchas45

Bronze Member
Mar 22, 2009
A Place In Heaven
Detector(s) used
Excalibur 1000, Garrett Scorpion.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You can also check with a magnet, if they stick, their plated. :thumbsup: Then again get yourself some silver tester under ten dollars and test them. Good luck. :thumbsup:

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Out in the hills near wherendaheckarwe
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Try looking at Kovels web site.

Try looking here
http://leonceantiques.wordpress.com/2009/02/09/sterling-silver-makers-marks/

http://www.oldcopper.org/

Don't have my notes here with me, but try Googling vintage silverware etc. There is a company back east that buys and sells individual silverware & silver plate pieces and resells them to people trying to match their pattern when pieces are lost or damaged.

Another alternative that believe it or not works well for me is mark each one that you determine to be junk or low value up 75% - 100% put them out at your yardsale or swap meet them. I'm positive you'll be pleasantly surprised.

If you have the time brouse through the bins of silverware. They almost always throw nice silver & plate in with the SS junk. Not to mention the 50s vintage kitchen tools that will more than triple your money at the antique malls.

If you're still stuck, PM me later & I'll give you some more info when I get back to the PC.

Bluegrassriver

Oct 18, 2008
Kentucky near the Ohio River!
The Holmes & Edwards is old silverplate. It is micro thin coating of silver by electrolysis. The base is usually copper or copper and tin. The Godinger is modern silverplate with even thinner micro coating and less craftsmanship. It can not be melted for scrap.

The best book on silverplate manufacturing and identification is American Silverplate by Dorothy & Ivan Rainwater. I give it 5 stars!

If it is marked sterling or .925, it is that exact composition in silver, if it is authentic.

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Bluegrassriver said:
The Holmes & Edwards is old silverplate. It is micro thin coating of silver by electrolysis. The base is usually copper or copper and tin. The Godinger is modern silverplate with even thinner micro coating and less craftsmanship. It can not be melted for scrap.

The best book on silverplate manufacturing and identification is American Silverplate by Dorothy & Ivan Rainwater. I give it 5 stars!

If it is marked sterling or .925, it is that exact composition in silver, if it is authentic.

That's the other book I was going to post for him, Thanks! 5 stars is an under rating, deserves 6 or 7 at least.

Hint, stuff like plated or micro coatings don't do well melting for scrap. But you can leach most of the silver plate off using a strong bleach solution in a bucket, just as if you were recovering silver from xray plates photo film etc. (You old old school B&W photographers should be familiar with this ;D) Then sell the junk pieces for copper, and recover the silver from the solution. Keep the bucket under the bench in the corner ready for the next batch. There's a ton of tutorials on the web for recovering silver using bleach.

OP
OP
F

fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks for the information!! Ill look into that book and maybe leech some silver plate off those big things!

boogeyman

Gold Member
Jun 6, 2006
Detector(s) used
WHITES, MINELAB, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
fmrUSMC_0844 said:
Thanks for the information!! Ill look into that book and maybe leech some silver plate off those big things!

Have fun! Remember either way you'll learn something new & that's probably the real treasure!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread