Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Smudge said:
Of course, if anyone can think of another hobby where the equipment has even a possibility of paying for itself, I'd love to hear of it, 'cause I'm drawing a blank. :wink:

Actually there is because many people consider going to garage sale, auctions etc., and flipping things, their hobby. For that you only have to cover your gas. :thumbsup:

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Produce Guy said:
I don't mind paying a little more if their made in america,it's those ones that are made overseas I don't like spending the extra $$ on. :icon_scratch:
Trouble is...there better ;D

SS

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
Actually there is because many people consider going to garage sale, auctions etc., and flipping things, their hobby. For that you only have to cover your gas. :thumbsup:
If this were only true. Time is money, and alot of time is involved in researching what to buy and at what price to buy it where you can actually make a profit. If you don't know what your looking at then how do you know what price to buy it at or what price it may bring in a retail or online setting? Not to mention the actual cost of the items, money and time spent packaging and mailing. It aint all that cut and dry.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
diggummup said:
Iron Patch said:
If this were only true. Time is money, and alot of time is involved in researching what to buy and at what price to buy it where you can actually make a profit. If you don't know what your looking at then how do you know what price to buy it at or what price it may bring in a retail or online setting? Not to mention the actual cost of the items, money and time spent packaging and mailing. It aint all that cut and dry.

I didn't say everyone can do it, but like detecting many do.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Iron Patch said:
diggummup said:
Iron Patch said:

I didn't say everyone can do it, but like detecting many do.
I think many could do it if they were willing to put forth the effort. I do it, although lately i'll admit it's becoming more of a job than a hobby, so i'm letting it rest for a while. It's a lot like detecting in that it involves hours of research and the time spent doing it. I'd still rather be detecting though, it's more for fun than profit. :thumbsup: Didn't mean to icon_hijack.gif

Attachments

• icon_hijack.gif
    icon_hijack.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 1,031

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Iron Patch said:
Smudge said:
Of course, if anyone can think of another hobby where the equipment has even a possibility of paying for itself, I'd love to hear of it, 'cause I'm drawing a blank. :wink:

Oo! Good answer! :icon_thumleft:

dogpound

Sep 24, 2010
southeast PA
Detector(s) used
CTX3030
i feel that metal detecting is a well rounded hobby...not only do ya get a good workout from walking and digging its also a good mental workout doing research and trying to figure out where goodies could have been lost, not to mention the potential of paying for itself.

Seamuss

Bronze Member
Jan 27, 2009
Found under a rock, in Washington State.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Scorpion, Garrett pro pointer
Ya, what dogpound said. It's more exercise then bowling and more rewarding($$$$$) in the long run. Not to mention that there is no compitition from the people that are house bound with "Oh the cost of it"

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I've spent Lots more on gasoline, batteries, meals on the road, coffee, clothing, boots, a vest, and digging tools than I ever have on a detector.

Totaled my first car as a new driver while out on a detecting trip.

Lost a second car to a digging trip when a tree fell on it in a wind storm--with me inside!

And the third one I lost to MDing died on a digging trip due to transmission failure.

Should I start trying to put a price tag on the fact that I'm deathly allergic to bee stings now, after digging into an underground yellow jacket nest (20+ stings) while CW relic hunting in Virginia in 1993?

If you are interested in a top-of-the-line anything, you are going to fork over some cash.

Or, you could enjoy this hobby with a $250 Tesoro uMax, which is probably over-priced too...but so is an iPhone. :D

-Buck

Silver Searcher

Gold Member
Sep 27, 2006
UK
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:coffee2:

Another thing....who has found out more about there History since starting Metal Detecting, I know I have for one :icon_thumleft:

SS

Joe Hoo?

Feb 13, 2009
Southern and Central Illinois
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Lobo St, Compadre
Smudge said:

i can attest to the fact that i have made huge amounts of money on another hobby of mines and the equipment paid for itself in 2 months i spent over $1200.00 on glass and all accesories needed to move forward with my stain glass hobby and the first 2 months i sold about $4000.00 in stained glass work i did.. i am reaping nothing but rewards as we speak.. HH :icon_thumleft:

bigscoop

Gold Member
Jun 4, 2010
Wherever there be treasure!
Detector(s) used
Older blue Excal with full mods, Equinox 800.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
There are a lot of hobbies out there where people are turning a good buck, but just about all of them required an investment to get started and continued investment to keep them going. If I was going to pick a "risk" hobby with the notion of seeing a return on my time and investment Metal Detecting wouldn't be my first choice, probably wouldn't even make the top twenty on my list. But if I was going to pick a fascinating and enjoyable hobby that I could pursue in a whole host of wonderful environments with a lot of friendly and interesting people, well................."metal detecting".

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
bigscoop said:
There are a lot of hobbies out there where people are turning a good buck, but just about all of them required an investment to get started and continued investment to keep them going. If I was going to pick a "risk" hobby with the notion of seeing a return on my time and investment Metal Detecting wouldn't be my first choice, probably wouldn't even make the top twenty on my list. But if I was going to pick a fascinating and enjoyable hobby that I could pursue in a whole host of wonderful environments with a lot of friendly and interesting people, well................."metal detecting".

I've had years that made me think metal detecting could have made my top 10 or 20 list, but this year was definitely not one of them. If I were to sell every last piece of metal I dug the total would be a $1,000 at the most. But heck a grand is a grand. :thumbsup:

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Yes, equipment can be expensive for the top of the line models. This is true for any thing, cars, boats, electronics, golf equipment, fishing equipment etc...

My take on all of this is that detecting is one of the few hobbies that (can) pay for itself. Not everyone will pay for a new detector the first year but over time every find shaves a little off the cost.

Many hobbies can generate money in some way. For instance some of the forum members are wood workers or wood carvers. They can sell their work to pay for their tools and materials. Some forum members are into art and can sell their drawings and paintings. Same with various crafts. The list goes on and on. If you enjoy something then the cost of your enjoyment should not be a factor. If it is, then your are not truly enjoying your hobby. ;D

Ray S ECenFL

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Seriously- you can get an entry level machine for peanuts today. I lucked into some treasure magazine back issues from the late 60's-early 1980's via craigslist. Adjusted for inflation, you can get a decent MD today for waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay cheaper than the prices I'm seeing listed in those old ads considering how much buying power $XXX had in 1978, or whatever.

Go get an Ace 250 or a Tesoro Compadre and you're swinging a decent machine for extremely little cost. I don't figure how you think this is 'overpriced'. Like anything else, if you want to remain on the cutting edge of technology with the latest, utmost and best, then yes, there's cost associated with that, but if you just want to participate in the hobby, it's one of the cheaper ones out there.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
It's actually one of the cheaper hobbies. I paintball and use to race bicycles too. A good paintball gun is about 1300 add in the loader and tank and its about a 1700 dollar investment. A good mountain bicycle is about 5-6k and a good road bicycle is about 8-9k now. I play hockey also by the time you factor in 500 dollar skates, 200 dollar sticks, helmets, pads, all the other gear and rink fee's is several grand. None of those other hobbies make me any money, they make me lose it. ;D

Tin Nugget

Bronze Member
Jan 11, 2007
Mesquite Texas
Detector(s) used
MXT F2
In 1978 I paid 250.00 for my first detector. 32 years later you can buy a nice detector that's 10X better than my first for 250.00 :o

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Jimmy(PA) said:
It's actually one of the cheaper hobbies. I paintball and use to race bicycles too. A good paintball gun is about 1300 add in the loader and tank and its about a 1700 dollar investment. A good mountain bicycle is about 5-6k and a good road bicycle is about 8-9k now. I play hockey also by the time you factor in 500 dollar skates, 200 dollar sticks, helmets, pads, all the other gear and rink fee's is several grand. None of those other hobbies make me any money, they make me lose it. ;D

For real. I had no idea that stuff went into that range. I guess it is true, if you want the best, or what is looked at as the top end, you're going to have to pay.

Jimmy(PA)

Jan 3, 2008
USA
Detector(s) used
Fisher F-75 and a Minelab Explorer XS with Gray Ghost Originals
Iron Patch said:
Jimmy(PA) said:

For real. I had no idea that stuff went into that range. I guess it is true, if you want the best, or what is looked at as the top end, you're going to have to pay.

In detecting if you want the very best you're looking at 1200 on average maybe some more for an E-trac or V3i which is really low compared to most other hobbies if you compare it to their top end stuff. I use to snowboard, the board was 800, bindings where 350, boots 250 then you pay for lift tickets to use it each and every time so tag on $50 a day. In detecting its a one time investment and I make my money back, thats why I love it. If you detect regularly you can pretty much pay off any detector in a few years and sell it for a profit if you wanted. ;D

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions