may day .. SOS * Poison Ivy * remedy needed

Ray S ECenFL

Silver Member
Feb 17, 2007
East Central Florida WP
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT / M6
Don in SJ said:
Sorry about you getting the Posion Ivy, usually this time of the year it is from digging that you get it I believe, evidently not only the leaves have the irritant but the roots do also, so a high probability that is how you got it on your hand. Wish I could offer a suggestion, other that what has been mentioned, but there is a Benadryl Roll on tube you can purchase that I used on chigger bites with some success. It is in a long skinny tube.

Don

I would not use a roll on because you risk spreading the infection or re-infecting yourself.

Ray S ECenFL

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
First off I would not suggest rubbing any kind of mushroom on an open blister.....lots of nasty spores out there that will do more harm then good. There are many more toxic mushrooms here in the US than in the orient. Something that the Native Americans used as a natural treatment for poison ivy is a plant called Silver Leaf, also known as Jewel Weed or Touch Me Nots. It has a natural aloe in the stems that works wonders for pain relief and swelling relief and also breaks down the oils to prevent further spread. Calamine lotion helps too but I find that its better to treat with Jewel Weed first then cover with the Calamine lotion. And definitely do not roll or spread anything, dab any treatment with a cotton ball....not with your hand. And you can use a latex/vinyl glove on the hand you are using to treat yourself to further help with containing the oils.

Attachments

• jewel_weed_971.jpg
    jewel_weed_971.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 437

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
Where ever there is poisionous whatever there is usually a natural remedy not to far away , where ever there is poision ivy there is Jewel Weed as well , a natural antidote and it works . as the previous poster posted.

littlebear

Jul 24, 2006
Elgin Texas
Detector(s) used
white 5900/DI Pro
Garrett GTA 1000 ultra
My wife gets fifty feet from it she breaks out and we live out in the woods thats known for porison oak after she comes in contact as soon as she can she showers with dawn batd soap somethine in it nuterlizes th poison oil that causes the problem. If you have it bad get your ass to a doctor dont ruin your hollidays

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
007 is absolutely right! I wasn't going to go that far in depth into herbal remedies but they are correct! The cure is often found in close proximity to the cause :) Another thing the jewel weed is good for is stinging nettles which you will generally find growing right next to it. Come take one of my wilderness survival and primitive skills classes and I can teach you a lot more :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright: :icon_thumright:

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Another thing this just crossed my mind, are you sure its poison ivy? Small glossy blisters usually in linear patters? I don't want to gross anyone out but think you can post a picture of your hand? I would hate for you to have something worse...like a spider bite...and not have it treated correctly. Also, if any doubt, like the last poster said....go to a doctor!!! I have been the medic on duty 24/7 for a boyscout camp and I can tell you from experience that anytime you are in question.......always seek a higher level of care such as a doctor. Your health is more important!!

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am amazed and very grateful to all who responded to the may day call !!!! :thumbsup: You guys were QUICK to answer a distress call . Many THANKS :notworthy: Dawn dish detergent to neutralize or remove any oils that existed, Thanks Ivan , Soaked my hand in bleach ...Thanks kenley , Jeff , and my wife ,Elaine ... then I applied Desitin rash cream and in few hours the itch seemed to diminish . Used the ice cubes , Thanks Ray SS , then more bleach ,I was able to get Ivarest cream , Thanks Thrill , more bleach , within 20 hours the itching is gone , the blisters are present but I am getting better thanks to all you kind folks . I am buying a new shovel and will " never cut any roots " with a small trowel ever again . This would have never happened if my shovel didn't break. Time for another treatment and Feline Bossy Elf :o , the Mrs. is washing all the clothes like you suggested . What a nightmare the last 5 days have been . ::) ::) Here is picture of the site where the ivy is growing , and my injured US Army WWII digger :'( tough hunt but worth it ..found my oldest coin 1621 . 8) I will get the Jewel weed in the future 007 native Americans had a natural remedy for quite a lot of ailments . Thanks , little bear, if it got worse but seems to be clearing up ! Bushido Dude ,thanks for your concern , my friend , definitely ivy , picture would make people scream in horror :sad1: ..two weeks ago was the spider bite , few years ago was lymes :P I should have a medic hunt with me in the future :D Thanks again dude , very kind ! Joyful & Merry Christmas and have the Best 2011 Treasure Hunting Year :occasion14: Thanks Again to everyone :thumbsup: CMD dawg

Attachments

• mill# 4 002.JPG
    mill# 4 002.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 438
  • 001.JPG
    001.JPG
    114.2 KB · Views: 433
  • mill# 4 002.JPG
    mill# 4 002.JPG
    120.8 KB · Views: 422

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Bushido Dude said:
First off I would not suggest rubbing any kind of mushroom on an open blister.....lots of nasty spores out there that will do more harm then good. There are many more toxic mushrooms here in the US than in the orient. Something that the Native Americans used as a natural treatment for poison ivy is a plant called Silver Leaf, also known as Jewel Weed or Touch Me Nots. It has a natural aloe in the stems that works wonders for pain relief and swelling relief and also breaks down the oils to prevent further spread. Calamine lotion helps too but I find that its better to treat with Jewel Weed first then cover with the Calamine lotion. And definitely do not roll or spread anything, dab any treatment with a cotton ball....not with your hand. And you can use a latex/vinyl glove on the hand you are using to treat yourself to further help with containing the oils.
Active ingredient in poison oak/ivy/sumac is urushiol. Urushiol is an oil. Many fungal surfaces freshly-cut will degrade urushiol on contact. Some mycelium will do the same. Mushrooms are often available near poison oak/ivy/sumac. Soap with a surfactant will help too. I'd suggest Dawn detergent, as it works great on cutting oils. There are degreasers used by mechanics than can help too.

Uh, some mis-information here. "...more toxic mushrooms here in the US than in the orient." Citation? This is probably incorrect. I have some expertise in this field, and have _never_ heard this data. There are many poisonous fungi, no matter where you go in the world.

In general, mushroom spores aren't dangerous or bad. Every breath you take contains approximately 10,000 fungal spores, unless you are above the Arctic Circle or at Antactica: slightly less there, as most fungi don't produce spores at sub-zero temperatures.

Cut surface of mushroom does not necessarily have many spores. For example, you can cut the stem (stipe) of a mushroom, and not have much contact with spores at all in most mushrooms.

Do read Dr. Denis Benjamin's "Mushrooms: Poisons and Panaceas".

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I won't go through the remedies... they're well covered. I KNOW what P Oak looks like... even without leaves. It's 1:20 am right now. Later, I'll get a pic Judy has of me with my face looking like a basketball! And that was digging around leafless plants... roots got me. I made it a point to learn what it looks like in all four seasons! TTC

Attachments

• IMG_1380.jpg
    IMG_1380.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 384

McKinney_5900

Bronze Member
Jul 30, 2010
dingdong said:
don i see you are in nj you must have grapped the vine roots tons of oil in there i bet u got it diggen a silver bleach is good it stops the itchin in between the fingers it will take about 7 days the vines runatop the ground and are LIVE all year round even 20 below

Do those roots ever dry up? I have a big area I've wanted to hunt but the undergrowth has been bad, but winter is here and I see that I can hunt there. There are a lot of roots at ground zero though. I'll leave it alone until I hear back.

I'd ask at the pharmacy or Google for the best remedy. I know there is common pill you take for itching, Benadryl comes to mind. martin

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Round Up Poison Oak will kill it if its on your property but it should be done in the spring when the leaves are present.
You might try wearing latex gloves.
As one who got his share tying rebar in poison oak laced footings I'd keep Fels Naptha handy. It works as good or better than CalaGel. And lots cheaper.
Early clean up is the key.

happy hunting- :icon_pirat:

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Ace 250 (2), Ace 300, Gold Bug 2, Tesoro Cortes, Garrett Sea Hunter, Whites TDI SL SE, Fisher Impulse 8, Minelab Monster 1000, Minelab CTX3030, Falcon MD20, Garrett Pro-pointer, Calvin Bunker digger.
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have found that ORTHO brush killer kills it off well. ALL stalks must be dosed. After the leaves have turned broun, go in and clear them out. WARNING! Still no time for sandals or shorts... those little buggers you missed in the grass are gonna getcha! TTC

TerryC

Gold Member
Jun 26, 2008
Yarnell, AZ
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TerryC said:
I have found that ORTHO brush killer kills it off well. ALL stalks must be dosed. After the leaves have turned broun, go in and clear them out. WARNING! Still no time for sandals or shorts... those little buggers you missed in the grass are gonna getcha! TTC
.....And they will do THIS to your face...

Attachments

• securedownload[1].jpg
    securedownload[1].jpg
    35 KB · Views: 309

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Here it is plane and simple. Watch out for it and don't let it touch you. If it does touch you stop and wash it off. It is an acid that eats into your skin. Once it eats thru the top layer of skin an infection sets in.
The cure is to wash {scrub} it off. that stops the progression, then flush it out with Hydrogen peroxide to kill the infection. Wash it out with the peroxide untill it is bleached white and stops foaming. Leave it open to air dry. Repeat the peroxide in a day if redness persists.
I don't get this problem. Appearently some people have tuffer skin that is more acid resistant.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Frankn said:
Here it is plane and simple. Watch out for it and don't let it touch you. If it does touch you stop and wash it off. It is an acid that eats into your skin. Once it eats thru the top layer of skin an infection sets in.
The cure is to wash {scrub} it off. that stops the progression, then flush it out with Hydrogen peroxide to kill the infection. Wash it out with the peroxide untill it is bleached white and stops foaming. Leave it open to air dry. Repeat the peroxide in a day if redness persists.
I don't get this problem. Appearently some people have tuffer skin that is more acid resistant.
Active ingredient is urushiol: an oil, not an acid. So maybe not so "plane and simple". Urushiol is a skin irritant and does not "eats into your skin." It can penetrate small cracks in the skin, and cause intense irritation which makes you scratch at the site. Hydrogen peroxide will not help cut the oil much. However most mushrooms will detoxify the the oil on contact.

Some people are nearly naturally immune to urushiol, which btw is also found in some plants you might not think are toxic: rhododendron, azalea, and even some perennial plants. I knew of one man, Ralph Wilkinson, who desensitized himself to poison oak by adding small portions of the young leaves to his salads. I DO NOT recommend that approach, AS IT MAY RESULT IN HOSPITALIZATION.

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I get Tide...The powder kind and add a little water to make a paste..
Its always just about gone in a day..
John

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Tuberale, If the mushroom you grab and rub on your poison ivy is a poison one will it harm you worse than the ivy?

The washoff and hydrogen peroxide regiment always worked for my kids.

swent1

May 17, 2007
NH/MASS
Detector(s) used
tesoro deleon whites idx pro
go to the beach and dunk the infected area in the ocean
i got a bad case on my first hunt last year and went
swimming in the ocean on easter morning in mass it was
a little cold but it helped

davidtn

Dec 14, 2005
Tennessee
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Whites MX Sport, Eurotek Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
jeff of pa said:
Although probably not Recomended by any Doctor :D
A Friend of mine used to Scratch it Wildly
till it was all open,
then Coat it with Bleach.

He swore by it for stopping the itch.

I Never asked to see his arms up close,
So I Don't know if there were Scars or ?

I see Someone suggests it here also

http://www.myhomeremedies.com/static/poison-ivy.html

I've done the same thing except with hydrogen peroxide and it works like a charm.

SteveP (NH)

May 19, 2003
Detector(s) used
Teknetics T2 SE, Minelab Explorer SE Pro, Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best stuff for poison ivy is Tecnu Extreme Medicated Poison Ivy Scrub - can dissolve and remove the oil in poison ivy and also has itch relief and skin conditions in it. I carry a 4 oz tube in my kit just in case. You can get it all over.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions