Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Felinepeachy

Re: may day .. SOS * Poison Ivy * remedy needed

Make sure you don't keep re exposing yourself to it by touching your shoes and clothing. The oils can stay on clothing forever. Wash in hot water and Pine Sol or Simple Green. Both break down oils.

um
    Jul 2004
    Broward Co.
    Tesoro Sand Shark, Whites M6
    2562 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

As a kid I got it bad enough to need hospitalization. Back then the doctors used a domeboro solution and gave me poison ivy extract pills, both are available OTC without a prescrip.. I hear a hot bath in baking soda is good too.
    In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is King.

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make him drink it.

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    20 times

First aid for Poison Oak/Poison Ivy/Poison Sumac: cut a mushroom, rub the cut surface on the affected area. Chinese have been doing this for centuries.

Think about it: lacquerware is made from the sap of the poison sumac shrub. Most mushrooms degrade the toxin on contact.

While Trametes versicolor and Boletus edulis are preferred species, may be too late to find them fresh. So use the Agaricus bisporus or Pleurotus ostreatus (White button mushroom; Oyster mushroom) that is available fresh in most grocery stores.

us
    Nov 2008
    Seminole County, Ok.
    GTI 2500
    3 times
    Metal Detecting

CMD: I am one of those that hears the word and get it. Fought it all my life and now 70.
    I take a hot shower and run the water pic on the blisters as hot as I can stand and as long as I can stand. Then PAT dry and dab with clorox on a cotton ball every time you think about it. It will burn like hell and you will think about it a lot. Don't cover it. Don't re use the towels until they have been washed in hot water. Sounds quacky, I know.
    I noticed as a kid that after I went swimming in the local pool (heavy clorene) it would get better within the hour, so I started the pure clorox treatment. Don't scratch it because that just spreads it and your fingers become contaminated. Heavy calamine is the next best.

us
    Aug 2010
    California
    Teknetics Delta 4000
    26 times
    Metal Detecting

Ah. I'm about a week into a poison oak case. Luckily it's all but done and I'm healing up.

After looking for home remedies for that, it seems a very hot shower on the site can give relief from itching for several hours. In this particular case I've had hardly any itching, so can't verify this.

Aside from that, the oil itself doesn't "spread" from the blisters from itching. It spreads from the initial exposure--so make sure to wash all clothing you wore, or you might get another exposure as FelineBossy says.

And as Ray says, ice can lessen the swelling.

The soonest step to take btw is washing the body in cold water, plus plenty of soap, as the oil is water-resistant so a surfactant is needed to clear it.

Good luck!
    Whosoever would be a man must be a nonconformist

us
    Feb 2007
    East Central Florida WP
    Whites XLT / M6
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by Don in SJ
    Sorry about you getting the Posion Ivy, usually this time of the year it is from digging that you get it I believe, evidently not only the leaves have the irritant but the roots do also, so a high probability that is how you got it on your hand. Wish I could offer a suggestion, other that what has been mentioned, but there is a Benadryl Roll on tube you can purchase that I used on chigger bites with some success. It is in a long skinny tube.

Don
    I would not use a roll on because you risk spreading the infection or re-infecting yourself.

Ray S ECenFL
    Ray S ECenFL
    Wolf Pack Member

us
    MDCCLXXVI

Dec 2005
    Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
    3 times

First off I would not suggest rubbing any kind of mushroom on an open blister.....lots of nasty spores out there that will do more harm then good. There are many more toxic mushrooms here in the US than in the orient. Something that the Native Americans used as a natural treatment for poison ivy is a plant called Silver Leaf, also known as Jewel Weed or Touch Me Nots. It has a natural aloe in the stems that works wonders for pain relief and swelling relief and also breaks down the oils to prevent further spread. Calamine lotion helps too but I find that its better to treat with Jewel Weed first then cover with the Calamine lotion. And definitely do not roll or spread anything, dab any treatment with a cotton ball....not with your hand. And you can use a latex/vinyl glove on the hand you are using to treat yourself to further help with containing the oils.

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jewel_weed_971.jpg 
Views:	370 
Size:	117.7 KB 
ID:	481455  
    "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure."

Mar 2008
    PA
    X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
    1 times

Where ever there is poisionous whatever there is usually a natural remedy not to far away , where ever there is poision ivy there is Jewel Weed as well , a natural antidote and it works . as the previous poster posted.

us
    Jul 2006
    Elgin Texas
    white 5900/DI Pro Garrett GTA 1000 ultra
    6 times

My wife gets fifty feet from it she breaks out and we live out in the woods thats known for porison oak after she comes in contact as soon as she can she showers with dawn batd soap somethine in it nuterlizes th poison oil that causes the problem. If you have it bad get your ass to a doctor dont ruin your hollidays

us
    MDCCLXXVI

Dec 2005
    Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
    3 times

007 is absolutely right! I wasn't going to go that far in depth into herbal remedies but they are correct! The cure is often found in close proximity to the cause Another thing the jewel weed is good for is stinging nettles which you will generally find growing right next to it. Come take one of my wilderness survival and primitive skills classes and I can teach you a lot more
    "There comes a time in every rightly constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure."

us
    MDCCLXXVI

Dec 2005
    Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
    3 times

Another thing this just crossed my mind, are you sure its poison ivy? Small glossy blisters usually in linear patters? I don't want to gross anyone out but think you can post a picture of your hand? I would hate for you to have something worse...like a spider bite...and not have it treated correctly. Also, if any doubt, like the last poster said....go to a doctor!!! I have been the medic on duty 24/7 for a boyscout camp and I can tell you from experience that anytime you are in question.......always seek a higher level of care such as a doctor. Your health is more important!!

us
    Oct 2009
    Jersey Cape
    Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
    412 times
    Banner Finds (3)

I am amazed and very grateful to all who responded to the may day call !!!! You guys were QUICK to answer a distress call . Many THANKS Dawn dish detergent to neutralize or remove any oils that existed, Thanks Ivan , Soaked my hand in bleach ...Thanks kenley , Jeff , and my wife ,Elaine ... then I applied Desitin rash cream and in few hours the itch seemed to diminish . Used the ice cubes , Thanks Ray SS , then more bleach ,I was able to get Ivarest cream , Thanks Thrill , more bleach , within 20 hours the itching is gone , the blisters are present but I am getting better thanks to all you kind folks . I am buying a new shovel and will " never cut any roots " with a small trowel ever again . This would have never happened if my shovel didn't break. Time for another treatment and Feline Bossy Elf , the Mrs. is washing all the clothes like you suggested . What a nightmare the last 5 days have been . Here is picture of the site where the ivy is growing , and my injured US Army WWII digger tough hunt but worth it ..found my oldest coin 1621 . 8) I will get the Jewel weed in the future 007 native Americans had a natural remedy for quite a lot of ailments . Thanks , little bear, if it got worse but seems to be clearing up ! Bushido Dude ,thanks for your concern , my friend , definitely ivy , picture would make people scream in horror ..two weeks ago was the spider bite , few years ago was lymes :P I should have a medic hunt with me in the future Thanks again dude , very kind ! Joyful & Merry Christmas and have the Best 2011 Treasure Hunting Year Thanks Again to everyone CMD dawg

Name:	mill# 4 002.JPG 
Views:	371 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	45251   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	001.JPG 
Views:	363 
Size:	220.6 KB 
ID:	481472   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mill# 4 002.JPG 
Views:	347 
Size:	237.6 KB 
ID:	481473  
    Where Ever You Go , There You Are

us
    Tuberale

May 2010
    Portland, Oregon
    White's Coinmaster Pro
    20 times

Quote Originally Posted by Bushido Dude
    First off I would not suggest rubbing any kind of mushroom on an open blister.....lots of nasty spores out there that will do more harm then good. There are many more toxic mushrooms here in the US than in the orient. Something that the Native Americans used as a natural treatment for poison ivy is a plant called Silver Leaf, also known as Jewel Weed or Touch Me Nots. It has a natural aloe in the stems that works wonders for pain relief and swelling relief and also breaks down the oils to prevent further spread. Calamine lotion helps too but I find that its better to treat with Jewel Weed first then cover with the Calamine lotion. And definitely do not roll or spread anything, dab any treatment with a cotton ball....not with your hand. And you can use a latex/vinyl glove on the hand you are using to treat yourself to further help with containing the oils.
    Active ingredient in poison oak/ivy/sumac is urushiol. Urushiol is an oil. Many fungal surfaces freshly-cut will degrade urushiol on contact. Some mycelium will do the same. Mushrooms are often available near poison oak/ivy/sumac. Soap with a surfactant will help too. I'd suggest Dawn detergent, as it works great on cutting oils. There are degreasers used by mechanics than can help too.

Uh, some mis-information here. "...more toxic mushrooms here in the US than in the orient." Citation? This is probably incorrect. I have some expertise in this field, and have _never_ heard this data. There are many poisonous fungi, no matter where you go in the world.

In general, mushroom spores aren't dangerous or bad. Every breath you take contains approximately 10,000 fungal spores, unless you are above the Arctic Circle or at Antactica: slightly less there, as most fungi don't produce spores at sub-zero temperatures.

Cut surface of mushroom does not necessarily have many spores. For example, you can cut the stem (stipe) of a mushroom, and not have much contact with spores at all in most mushrooms.

Do read Dr. Denis Benjamin's "Mushrooms: Poisons and Panaceas".

us
    Come out from under your bed today...... DO SOMETHING!

Jun 2008
    Yarnell,AZ and Titusville,FL
    Right now: Garrett GTA 500, ACE 250, Fisher Impulse 8, Gold Bug 2, Whites GMT, Vibraprobe 570, and Falcon MD20
    1651 times
    Coinshooting, Gold prospecting, and Nuggetshooting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I won't go through the remedies... they're well covered. I KNOW what P Oak looks like... even without leaves. It's 1:20 am right now. Later, I'll get a pic Judy has of me with my face looking like a basketball! And that was digging around leafless plants... roots got me. I made it a point to learn what it looks like in all four seasons! TTC

Name:	IMG_1380.jpg 
Views:	310 
Size:	106.2 KB 
ID:	483079  
    ONE MIND - ANY WEAPON

us
    Jul 2010
    65 times

Quote Originally Posted by dingdong
    don i see you are in nj you must have grapped the vine roots tons of oil in there i bet u got it diggen a silver bleach is good it stops the itchin in between the fingers it will take about 7 days the vines runatop the ground and are LIVE all year round even 20 below
    Do those roots ever dry up? I have a big area I've wanted to hunt but the undergrowth has been bad, but winter is here and I see that I can hunt there. There are a lot of roots at ground zero though. I'll leave it alone until I hear back.

I'd ask at the pharmacy or Google for the best remedy. I know there is common pill you take for itching, Benadryl comes to mind. martin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors