may day .. SOS * Poison Ivy * remedy needed

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Diluted bleach or full strength dish soap. Also, you MUST wash the clothing in hot water.

Ursiol is the oil in poison ivy and poison oak. You have to get the oil off of your skin. Calamine soothes the inflamed skin, but does not get the oil off.

I have a little experience with this. Lots of soldiers get into poisonous plants during field training.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
table salt

two or three table spoons table salt, a few drops of water to make a paste like, then rub this on the poison ivy till it just begins to sting, leave it on and it won't itch for the rest of the day

I used to surf a lot when i was younger and the salt water was great for my poison oak since i am or was alergic to poison oak

S

stefen

calisdad said:
I use Fels Naptha bar soap for poison oak. Its cheap and dries up the oils quickly.

good luck

Do they still make and sell Fels Naptha?...my mother cut the bars up and used the soap in the washer...

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They sure do. You usually find it with the laundry soaps. Still comes wrapped in white paper with red and green lettering for about $3 a bar. We keep a bar in the shower during the summer. It lasts all summer.

S

stefen

We used that stuff after cleaning the chicken house to get rid of the lice...damn near takes the skin off... Willi wasn't too pleased either as I recall.

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
stefen said:
We used that stuff after cleaning the chicken house to get rid of the lice...damn near takes the skin off... Willi wasn't too pleased either as I recall.

LOL It's not that bad. I'd say squeaky clean. But then I didn't wash Willi with it. :laughing7:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Getting in kinda late on this one but........... When I first started metal detecting my hands broke out in a rash. I went to the dermatologist and found out it was some kind of allergy rather than poison plant as I had thought. He gave me a RX for a tube of hand cream of some sort and it cleared up in a matter of days. Now I usually wear gloves when I go digging in earnest and rarely ever get a blister anymore. I have been rather immune to poison ivy all my life and have been exposed to it many many times with no mishap. However I do try to avoid it if at all possible. A friend of mine will break out in a rash just from being near poison ivy and he has to go to his doc and take shots every spring. We had a campout when we were teens and he swelled up from head to toe and had to be hospitalized. Just an amusing anecdote. :wink: Monty

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Frankn said:
Tuberale, If the mushroom you grab and rub on your poison ivy is a poison one will it harm you worse than the ivy?

The washoff and hydrogen peroxide regiment always worked for my kids.
I can't speak for all mushrooms. I don't know anyone who can, as there are estimated to be over 2 million fungi in the Pacific Northwest alone, perhaps 4 million fungi species in the U.S., and only perhaps one-tenth of those have been identified in science to date. Most professional mycologists specialize in a single Family or Genus; or more rarely Order of fungi.

In general, mushroom toxins are not absorbed through the skin. (See Dr. Denis Benjamin's "Mushrooms: Poisons and Panaceas" for more information.) Even deadly Amanita and Galerina mushrooms have to be consumed. It is, however, an excellent idea to wash your hands after handling either, since the mushroom residue on your hands can cause liver damage if ingested.

As for poison oak/ivy/sumac: wash the area and your hands after using a cut surface of a mushroom to degrade the urushiol. This is a chemical decomposition usually taking seconds. Wash the area afterwards with soap and warm water.

N

natchitoches

the best cure ever is 1 big bottle of benedyrl , and add 1 small bottle of iodine
it will day it up fast

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread