All Treasure Hunting

ThTx

Dec 19, 2006
Combine
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Mix pure honey (not processed) with a little bit of baking soda. Make a thick paste and rub it on the affected area. Hope it helps - poison ivy sucks!!!

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Although probably not Recomended by any Doctor :D
A Friend of mine used to Scratch it Wildly
till it was all open,
then Coat it with Bleach.

He swore by it for stopping the itch.

I Never asked to see his arms up close,
So I Don't know if there were Scars or ?

I see Someone suggests it here also

http://www.myhomeremedies.com/static/poison-ivy.html

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry about you getting the Posion Ivy, usually this time of the year it is from digging that you get it I believe, evidently not only the leaves have the irritant but the roots do also, so a high probability that is how you got it on your hand. Wish I could offer a suggestion, other that what has been mentioned, but there is a Benadryl Roll on tube you can purchase that I used on chigger bites with some success. It is in a long skinny tube.

Don

warsawdaddy

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2004
Edwards,Missouri
Detector(s) used
MXT - DeLeon - Gamma 6000
I agree with Thrillathahunt - Zanfel! after use the itch last about 5min.All the linemen use it in the rural area I live in.It's now available at WalMart.

ticm

Silver Member
Sep 5, 2007
New Jersey
Detector(s) used
Whites V3i and DFX
I have used bleach. I only do it when I see that i am starting to get the rash. It works , but I would not use it on a large area.

OP
OP
CMDiamonddawg

CMDiamonddawg

Silver Member
Oct 14, 2009
Jersey Cape
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1265X & CZ-7
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you , Thank you , again and again , everyone , I am working down the list . The link has a ton of info, Thanks Jeff ... Don in SJ , I never thought about the roots ::) .. :icon_scratch: I was chopping the under ground roots in holes that day ::) Most of the day I wore gloves ..the right hand glove was removed to get whatever was in the hole and get it, I sure did ... Zanfel ,I will get some . Mrs. has the bleach ready ..hope it works I am going back to the site today and wearing gloves without removing them . I refuse to be beaten by a stinkin' poison plant >:( Thanks everyone , I 'll let you know how it works out .. this itch is driving me bananas :-\ dawg

calisdad

Bronze Member
Sep 8, 2010
Groveland, CA
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I use Fels Naptha bar soap for poison oak. Its cheap and dries up the oils quickly.

good luck

Don in SJ

Silver Member
May 20, 2005
Detector(s) used
MINELAB SE Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dawg is the one with the Ivy, I do not get any reaction at all to Poison Ivy ;D I know about getting it from cutting the roots from my oldest son who ended up with lots of rash on his hands from digging during the winter, but digging where Poison Ivy was abundant. He now avoids those areas like the plague, despite wearing gloves. I can still get by digging in those areas, but I am still careful on what I touch.

Don

Ray S S

Silver Member
Nov 18, 2007
Port Huron, Mi.
Detector(s) used
Freedom Ace Coin Commander and Ace 250
Ice cubes is what we use. Either directly on the blisters or in a cold wet wash cloth. Hold it on there as long as
you can stand it. Keep doing it as often as you can and they will dry it up.

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
well since its the "oil" of the plant at work 8 any thing that breaks up oil should help * -- in theory -- try dawn dish washing liquid --it breaks up natural oils off of dishes -- so it should removed the oil == which is the first step to stopping it .

then its dealing with the after effects of the oil

do not laugh --but dandruff shampoo has a anti itch ingredent in it --that often times can help --( plus shampoo is designed to remove excess oil from your hair)

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Best is to stay away from it. You can get it from the roots, and you can get it from the smoke coming of the plants if you burn them. Some folks are more susceptible to it; maybe it has to do with your histamine level that day. Once you get it, it seems easier to get it the second time. I've never had a poison ivy rash. Here's an OIT (old Indian trick) that is reputed to work. Dig up a Poke Weed. Find a tuber in the root system. Soak this tuber in water in a fruit jar for quite some time. Apply the water to the rash, and it should dry right up. Might be, as poke is a diuretic. Fossis might have heard of this too. Best of luck to you.

F

Felinepeachy

Make sure you don't keep re exposing yourself to it by touching your shoes and clothing. The oils can stay on clothing forever. Wash in hot water and Pine Sol or Simple Green. Both break down oils.

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
As a kid I got it bad enough to need hospitalization. Back then the doctors used a domeboro solution and gave me poison ivy extract pills, both are available OTC without a prescrip.. I hear a hot bath in baking soda is good too.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
First aid for Poison Oak/Poison Ivy/Poison Sumac: cut a mushroom, rub the cut surface on the affected area. Chinese have been doing this for centuries.

Think about it: lacquerware is made from the sap of the poison sumac shrub. Most mushrooms degrade the toxin on contact.

While Trametes versicolor and Boletus edulis are preferred species, may be too late to find them fresh. So use the Agaricus bisporus or Pleurotus ostreatus (White button mushroom; Oyster mushroom) that is available fresh in most grocery stores.

kenley

Nov 2, 2008
Seminole County, Ok.
Detector(s) used
GTI 2500
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
CMD: I am one of those that hears the word and get it. Fought it all my life and now 70.
I take a hot shower and run the water pic on the blisters as hot as I can stand and as long as I can stand. Then PAT dry and dab with clorox on a cotton ball every time you think about it. It will burn like hell and you will think about it a lot. Don't cover it. Don't re use the towels until they have been washed in hot water. Sounds quacky, I know.
I noticed as a kid that after I went swimming in the local pool (heavy clorene) it would get better within the hour, so I started the pure clorox treatment. Don't scratch it because that just spreads it and your fingers become contaminated. Heavy calamine is the next best.

heepiepow

Aug 27, 2010
California
Detector(s) used
Teknetics Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Ah. I'm about a week into a poison oak case. Luckily it's all but done and I'm healing up.

After looking for home remedies for that, it seems a very hot shower on the site can give relief from itching for several hours. In this particular case I've had hardly any itching, so can't verify this.

Aside from that, the oil itself doesn't "spread" from the blisters from itching. It spreads from the initial exposure--so make sure to wash all clothing you wore, or you might get another exposure as FelineBossy says.

And as Ray says, ice can lessen the swelling.

The soonest step to take btw is washing the body in cold water, plus plenty of soap, as the oil is water-resistant so a surfactant is needed to clear it.

Good luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions