fmrUSMC_0844

Bronze Member
Sep 4, 2008
Mormonville, AKA Salt Lake City, UT
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT Pro, Whites TDI, Keene A52, Calsluice, Gold Hog Piglet
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I wish I could help you. I would guess check with the state and see what the regulations are when it comes to Tombstone. It may be off limits to detectors because it may be considered a historic place.

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
I would bet no, but i'd still call and check. Maybe around some of the abandoned silvers mines in the area though.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I would treat it like any other city I come to: If a spot is an obvious historic monument, then assume you can't. But if you're talking run-of-the-mill city parks, school yards, etc.... then ..... as long as there's no rules prohibiting your activity (rules are usually posted on a sign at parks and school yard entrances), then go for it. If you're still skittish about city property, perhaps Tombstone has a city hall website, with city land rules posted there. Do a key word search under "metal detectors" (or whatever). If it is silent on the issue, then so be it! :hello:

And keep in mind, there may be multiple levels of land there. Federal, state, county, city, and private. so just because the "state" may have a law/rule (for if there's a state historic park there, for instance), doesn't mean that this applies to every other location in Tombstone. It would only apply to state owned lands, not other locations.

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GOOD LUCK!!I have a feeling what you could would be hammered,its probably a State Park like Bodie....no sense of humor,about detectors.Let us know!

N.J.THer

Silver Member
Nov 16, 2006
Middlesex County, New Jersey
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX w/ Sunray DX-1 probe and Minelab Excalibur 1000, Whites TRX Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Not sure if you can detect there or not. Was through there many, many years ago. Was not much there and what was there was a cheese tourist attraction. Good luck...there has to be stuff there to be found.

NJ

kuger

Gold Member
Nov 6, 2007
Detector(s) used
,M.X.T.& Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is on the sates web site:Q: Is using a metal detector legal in Arizona State Parks?
A: In some cases. Arizona State Parks does allow "Recreational Metal Detecting" in areas that are not ecologically, geologically or culturally sensitive. "Recreational" means that if the activity is only for recreation, or a hobby and the area is not disturbed to any great level it is acceptable. If you wish to walk along a developed beach front and dig down a few inches with a spoon in order to recover an item, it's okay. If you bring along a shovel and plan to excavate a large hole then it's not okay. Contact the staff ranger at the specific park you wish to visit and discuss the activity with a ranger to determine areas where it would be appropriate. Of course if at any time the activity crosses over into a commercial venture then it is not allowed. Arizona State Parks realizes that this activity is fun for many people, and we try to accommodate them as best we can while at the same time continue to protect and preserve our resources.

MetalDetect

Tenderfoot
Mar 2, 2018
Marlton, New Jersey
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I know this is like 8 years old and everything, but if you are looking to find any old cowboy relics I personally would search around Tombstone, but don't go on the property. There were many gunfights in the 1870's and 1880's:occasion14:

faribo

Apr 13, 2007
Southern MN
Detector(s) used
Nox 800
AT Pro (when desperate)
I just detected Tombstone a couple weeks ago. I did not find much. It has been hit really hard and the park is off limits and the OK is private and they don't let you detect.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread