Good news, bad news.....

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Well, my back pain issue is getting brought under control by the excellent doctors at the Oklahoma City VA. I have now been told I can go back to doing my metal detecting.

That is the good news.

The bad news is that I donated both of my MDs to people wanting to get into the hobby. I guess when income tax time comes, I will start looking for another one.

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think both are good news. I have "donated" a lot of things lately that I no longer am able to use. This includes a lot of fishing gear, some hunting gear and guns, etc to my two sons and my nephew. I have a sneaking suspicion that my health may improve one day and I may wish I hadn't given all my stuff away. But I made some young men very happy in the process so I don't and won't really regret it. You can replace things, but your health is one thing that is irreplaceable, especially when you reach the age of being an old fart like me. Monty

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
My health is improving. I still have pain, but I am almost off of all the narcotics. I really got to thinking about getting a new MD when my wife and I were in Vicksburg, MS. That place has such fertile soil filled with Minie balls, and so much other Civil War (or as it is referred to there, The War of Northern Aggression) stuff in the dirt....

When I get my income tax, I will start looking. I spent my last Army bonus on both a trip for my wife and I, and helping my brother in law out. I bought a gun from him about about twice the price it was worth so he would not lose face and have to ask for money for his kid's Christmas.

Anyway, I am going to see if I can find an Ace 250 in my price range.

batcap

Jun 22, 2010
Baltimore MD
Detector(s) used
AT PRO
Libralabsoldier said:
<SNIP> I guess when income tax time comes, I will start looking for another one.

Ha! I guess when my tax time comes, I will start looking to sell mine!

Get well soon!

Seriously, I have an Ace 250 sport pack + super sniper (3 coils total). PM if you're interested at 1/2 price, still under factory warranty. However, the temp is going up to 50 for New Year's weekend so I'll be busy with it. ;D . In bitter cold February I'll be ordering an AT Pro, (I hope)!

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
Great Jack o Lantern, BAT! I also have that tattoo on my left arm. Tax time should be much better than anyone is anticipating this year. Do not believe the hype on taxes going up.

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
libralabsoldier,
First let me say Thank You for your service to your country. I am sorry to hear you were wounded. I am a Vietnam vet with multiple tours and combat injuries. Those who have never been in a combat situation can not understand what you went through. A great many of the members here on T-Net are Vets. You won't find a better bunch of people anywhere. I'm sure someone will be able to help you get started again. I have a couple of older units but they are very cheap older models I use for my grandkids to play with on the beaches when they visit. However, if no one else can come up with something better you are welcome to one of mine free of charge, I will even pay the postage. They are only cheap, lightweight, Radio Shack coin shooters but it is a start.

Thanks Again for your service.
White Feather

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Tax return? What's a tax return? When my wife and I retired we claimed no dependants and had an xtra 100 a month taken out just in case. We still owed. Every year since I have added an extra 100 a month. We have been retired for six years. I couldn't believe it but I still owe! I even had a CPA check it and he says I fell into the income level that really has no deductions to speak of. We planned well and have a pretty darn good retirement income, but Uncle Sugar still gets a huge cut of it. If we ever get a tax raise I am going to just give him all of it and go on welfare so I can improve my cash flow! Monty

groundsmn

Sep 9, 2010
In Reiterate to Monty! You can have it all but if you have ailing health what good is it gonna do.

OP
OP
Libralabsoldier

Libralabsoldier

Jan 7, 2007
Baker,LA
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 150
To be fair, my wife and I fall into a bunch of categories that give us deductions. At the same time, I got my last installment of my Army Reserve Affiliation bonus this year and it got hit at 33% federal, and I do not know how much state....So 5K became 2600....

I do not get how they can hit retirement info so hard. If that CPA was worth his salt, he would find better ways to stash your assets. Even the ways I set up my income (2012 will probably be the first time my wife and I break 40K) I am able to get something back.

That all being said: One of the members of this site contacted me and told me to give him my address. He is sending me an Ace 250 free of charge, as long as I promise to not tell anyone his name, and that I pass it along free as well when I decide to upgrade.

The people here are the best! :hello2:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions