Virginia treasure laws

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Well, why stop there? Don't just ask the Q about big-ticket items like that, but the question/answer would also be the same for any valuable found on state, or federal land, right? Heck, even city and county level land, right? I mean, even if it were something like a gold band found in a sandbox, or a key-date seated quarter, etc.... right?

So do you want the technical answer, or the realistic one?

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
There are countless individuals who Lost valuable treasures , who in the past or presant are intangled in long costly court battles , Large finds tend to make news headlines and you would have all sorts of termites coming out of the wood work seeking there share , Any news worthy finds ,Keep your Mouth shut :icon_pirat:

OP
OP
A

allen55

Jan 1, 2011
galion,ohio
Thanks for the answers. I didnt realize confederate treasure was that hard to get. My family fought in the civil war (confederate side). Rumor of a large amount of buried silver was passed down thru the family. I imagine it is what it is, rumor. But I know where it is supposed to be, and I never have heard of it being found. Maybe that is why it was never acted on, maybe just rumor. Either case, Thanks for the answer. And by the way, I am honest also. I never have been in jail, dont want to start now,lol. I need to find an honest way, to get it.

dtpost

Jan 3, 2011
Florida, Virginia
Detector(s) used
White's MXT,BH
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
allen55 said:
Thanks for the answers. I didn't realize confederate treasure was that hard to get. My family fought in the civil war (confederate side). Rumor of a large amount of buried silver was passed down thru the family. I imagine it is what it is, rumor. But I know where it is supposed to be, and I never have heard of it being found. Maybe that is why it was never acted on, maybe just rumor. Either case, Thanks for the answer. And by the way, I am honest also. I never have been in jail, don't want to start now,lol. I need to find an honest way, to get it.
If I had to guess where you should search for this it would be on the southside of the James river, the water treatment plant is visible from 95 and there is a boat ramp and park behind that. Be careful in that area it's know for snakes, did some searching around the river when I was younger. Found many bullets both for Confederate and Union army, a friend found a couple buttons and a C.S.A. belt buckle, which sold for about $900.00. Getting back to the woods isn't easy but can be reached better in the winter time. Go on a cold day, stay away from brush piles and fallen trees, other than that do some research about the Confederate retreat from Petersburg and Richmond Virginia. At the second battle of Petersburg the Union army broke through and pushed the Confederates back on all fronts. They marched through Colonial Heights and into Chesterfield county where they used (Jefferson Davis Hwy.) is now for there main escape to Richmond. Some Confederates were stuck in between Southside of the James river and Dutch Gap- where the Union had blockades set up on the river. Two Iron Clad ships for the Confederates were used to move men out of harms way on the James river, one of those Iron Clads ships were scrapped at Drewry's Bluff on the east side of the city of Richmond. The other one battled the Union "Monitor" in Norfolk for several day until each had ran out of cannon balls. The "Monitor" was pictured in a newspaper article in Norfolk. Also check in the "London Times" newspaper for information about the Confederates losing the war, England was siding with the Confederates for the hope of another foreign dictatorship with the southern states. Check the zones near the river to be sure they aren't state owned,as well as right-a-ways. Hope this helps you out some more about Confederate Gold.

ReidMan

Jul 16, 2008
Hampton, VA
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
F75 main, Infinium water, TDI red dirt, 1266x if I feel like digging iron.
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Federal land its theres and you go to jail for looking.
State land depends on where you are and if you have a permit.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
reidman, can you please cite an example of someone going to jail for metal detecting on federal land? Or better yet, for merely "looking", as you say?

And if you can, was it an obvious historical monument, and/or someone who was nightsneaking around, couldn't take a warning, etc....?

Because otherwise, I don't really agree. For example: I bet I can walk out to the interstate, and stand there in the ice-plant off in the eavesement to the side of the on-ramp, and detect till I'm blue in the face, and I bet no one would say a thing. Or another example: we detect an abandoned army base near me, un-bothered ad-naseum, and the only thing any passing cops have ever said, is stay out of the boarded up buildings. So ......... I'm inclined to think that your admonition might not be occuring, in actuality, in innocuous areas. Perhaps sneaking posted historic monuments, etc.... granted.

Saturna

Bronze Member
May 24, 2008
Nanaimo, B.C. Canada
Detector(s) used
White's 4900 DL Max, Tesoro Deleon
Franklin said:
A man in Conn. went to Great Britain, he found the bell off the CSA Alabama (which sank it the English Channel) He bought it and paid a good price for it. Later, this man needed a heart operation, placed an ad in the newspaper selling the bell from the CSA Alabama. Federal officers showed up at his home and told him we hear you are trying to sell stolen government property. The man replied that he had bought the bell at an antique store in Great Britain. They told him well it is stolen government property. They took the bell placed it in a museum and the honest man was out the price he paid for the bell.

Here is an interesting link about that bell.

http://www.navy.mil/search/display.asp?story_id=5372

One bell was recovered officially. The last paragraphs mention a second bell and the England connection. Hard to say what is the real story with that second bell.

Pictures:
http://www.uri.edu/artsci/his/mua/alabama/alafind3.html

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread