May I humbly add my puppy to this dogfight.....

ddcha

Dec 8, 2008
Tennessee
Detector(s) used
looking for first one
Happy New year to all ...what I mean to ask is I'm asking all the experts and/or any opinion on what to buy for the first time user..have 400-450 to spend..I live in the Tenn. mountains and would just be walking through woods and by creeks with
history of Indians and civil war and not to far from my house is a historical marker for a stagecouch station and road line that ran through the state back when....So I won't be looking for anything specific ..I would like it to go pretty deep..the woods are maybe a little sandstone rocky in places..I value your knowledge and input and will help me decide...just from what I have read in the forms I kinda have a crush on the Cibola..but all you guys have the experience and your help is much appreciated !!!

Attachments

• DDCHA 004.jpg
    DDCHA 004.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 306

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
garrett ace 250 or 350 both are in your price range and awsome machines and if you get a package deal you get extra equipment by garretts also

sgratrider

Sep 21, 2010
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you were thinking in the lines of the cibola, have a look at the Vaquero. Stays in your price range and has ground balance.

2cmorau

Bronze Member
Nov 8, 2010
Camptonville, CA
Detector(s) used
GMT&GM3 Whites MXT Pro, Shadow X5, Fisher 1280, OMG and the TDI
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
look into a used Whites Prizm 5G,Tesoro Cortes
I prefer analog over full digital, the 5G has a easy learning curve a full digital machine
the cortes is analog with a onscreen display which is really sweet

S

stefen

I asked my puppy the same question and he don't give a thit as long as it meets my personal needs... :coffee2:

Attachments

• DUDE.jpg
    DUDE.jpg
    36.4 KB · Views: 172

luvsdux

Bronze Member
May 16, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
Detector(s) used
Multiple Tesoros and Whites
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the description of the type of hunting you posted, I'd strongly recommend that you purchase a machine with either manual ground balance or true auto ground balance capability. The Cibola, and the Ace 250 are PRESET, not auto ground balance machines and may do poorly in some mineralized locations which fits the mountain type terrain you describe. My two bits.
luvsdux

Smudge

Bronze Member
Jul 9, 2010
Central Florida
Detector(s) used
A Propointer tied to a stick
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Try contacting 4-H at Woodland Detectors. He contributes to this forum regularly.

He lives in your area and I'm sure he can connect you to the right machine at the right price given your area's soil conditions. That can play a big part in your detector choice.

I've bought several detectors from him. He's a straight shooter and will give you excellent advice.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread