gold question

Shark27

Aug 5, 2010
San Diego
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 50 & Garrett Pro Pointer
Well obviously a gold testing kit would be best way to check but some basic test would be to see if it is stamped in anyway, check to see if it sticks to a magnet (any magnetic attraction will dismiss gold but may be gold plated with the underline metal attracting the magnet). Do you have a pic of the item?

Shark27

OP
OP
S

sathmcnugent

May 2, 2008
No i dont have a picture..it is really fine stuff..its like the size of a pencil tip..well a bit smaller..its out of some electronic parts..my uncle swears it is gold..but im not so sure..he has about a pound of it..he has been hoarding it for years..what it is is a tiny piece that is near the contact of an old telephone..it looks like gold though..its a bit different color than brass..

OP
OP
S

sathmcnugent

May 2, 2008
I do know how we all can get our hands on gold..get some gold schlager and filter out the gold flakes..haha I have done this..not much weight though hahaha

spitfire55

Bronze Member
Sep 17, 2008
Fresno, CA.
Detector(s) used
(Whites) MXT, MXT PRO, SURF PRO/PI and COINMASTER 5500/D, (Fisher) GOLDBUG. AT PRO(Garrett), CTX 3030(Mine Lab).
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting

KEVTEC

Apr 19, 2010
Northern Ohio
Detector(s) used
White's Spectra V-3 upgraded to V3I W/ SEF 15X12 Butterfly coil, White's Vision upgraded to V3I W 12 in coil, Minelab Excaliber II, Minelab E Trac, Minelab GPX 5000, Discovery TF 900 2 box, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
sathmcnugent said:
No i dont have a picture..it is really fine stuff..its like the size of a pencil tip..well a bit smaller..its out of some electronic parts..my uncle swears it is gold..but im not so sure..he has about a pound of it..he has been hoarding it for years..what it is is a tiny piece that is near the contact of an old telephone..it looks like gold though..its a bit different color than brass..
What you have could very well be 22-24 kt gold. Years ago electronic devices used real gold for connections and contacts. I purchased a control station from a factory that had many tape controls, and a main control desk. I bought it basically for the scrap metal content, but later found out while parting the electronics that the connectors were indeed gold. This was back in the late 70's and the electronics were from the mid 50's. Happy Hunting

midnightmoon

Mar 8, 2008
Los Angeles, California
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug Pro
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Here's a quick and readily available basic test for the curious:

Get a glass water.
Find sand or pebbles approximately the same size as your......could be gold.
Drop sand/pebbles and your......could be gold...... into the water and watch it all descend.
Gold, being much denser, should fall much more rapidly. In fact, you can barely keep an eye on it, it drops so quickly.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
minton7 said:
have em test it at the pawn shop or jewelry store

Yep. do it at one that buys gold, preferably a jewelry store.
Wait til the price of gold goes back up over 1400.00 before selling.

If the stuff is just gold plated there probably wont be nearly as much gold as you would think.
a pound of plated may only yield less than a gram of pure gold.

First do a scratch test and see if the pieces are solid gold or plated.

GG~

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions