GINSENG HUNTING

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I have a couple friends in this area ( Tioga Co., Pa.) that have been going gingin for many years. They still do it and make some good extra income from it. I'm not sure about state lands anymore. They have come out with some new laws. Best to check first.
Good luck,
Clayton

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I just did some reading on this not long ago. Price was selling for some big bucks. But...there are very stringent laws about hunting ginsing. Plants must be mature, not sure but like at least 3 stemmed, or 3 years old...something like that. the berries must be planted immediately in the same vicinity, any other immature plants must be replanted immediately, and on state lands here I think you need a permit...and there is only a few months out of the year they can be harvested.
Lots of videos on you tube on it. Quite interesting.
I think it was going for around $80. an ounce or pound..
Sorry but the memory isn't working so good tonight.
Best plants are dug without damage to the roots.....command the highest prices.
I've seen some around me but never knew what it was til I saw the videos. Now if I could remember WHERE I saw it...lol

Al

OP
OP
M

mad.co.walker

Oct 28, 2010
madison county illinois
thanks for the info. i know it use to be around september here in illinois before you could harvest it . ill check with the conservation department for rules. thanks again. steve. :notworthy:

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Yep....the regs on 'seng in Pa. are just as bigskyal said......but the wild root or woods grown sells for 350 - 450 a pound depending on who you sell to, and how dry the roots are, and how they look (growth rings) and ifthey are large, or have any special shape to them. Some, for instance if they are shaped like a man (arms, legs, and body) can sell for up to 1500.00 or more. That would be an exceptional root however.
Paul

OP
OP
M

mad.co.walker

Oct 28, 2010
madison county illinois
paul of Penna said:
Yep....the regs on 'seng in Pa. are just as bigskyal said......but the wild root or woods grown sells for 350 - 450 a pound depending on who you sell to, and how dry the roots are, and how they look (growth rings) and ifthey are large, or have any special shape to them. Some, for instance if they are shaped like a man (arms, legs, and body) can sell for up to 1500.00 or more. That would be an exceptional root however.
Paul
thanks paul for the info. steve. :icon_thumleft:

drewan29

Apr 2, 2010
Toivola,MI
Detector(s) used
Minelab Excal II 1000 Ace 250 Whites Prizm 3
couldn't tell ya because here in MI you can't pick it wild. I know in southern WI I used to see farms set up all over the place.
HH-drewan

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You usually pick it in September during hunting season. My dad used to pick it. I beleive he could only pick the plant that had 5 leaves or more. Had to plant the berries asap. I know he made a lot of extra money on it. You will have to check with your state laws......Matt

OP
OP
M

mad.co.walker

Oct 28, 2010
madison county illinois
thanks guys i know when i hunted it years ago in warren county ilinois you could only harvest the plants with a certain amount of leaves and had to replant the berries where you found the plant. god only knows where i planted those berries :tongue3:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions