Research?

kgt12

Tenderfoot
Dec 16, 2010
Pittsfield, Ma.
Detector(s) used
Whites Coinmaster Pro
Hi Folks,

Got a detector for xmas and seeing the area is frozen tundra right now I figured I would dig into research.
I don't know what I was expecting but I went to the library and was just overwhelmed at the amount of local history books, maps, photos, geneology, you name it, 4 hours just flew by.
I guess my question is what should I begin with 1st?

Thanks

Lowbatts

Gold Member
Jul 1, 2003
Elgin
Detector(s) used
Fishers 1235X-8" CZ-20/21-8" F-70-11"DD GC1023
Parade routes from the 1850's to 1900 era. Then hit those parkways.

Read the newspapers and find out where the local church camps or chatauquas were held. These usually happened from June through August as the crops would be put in then the growing season would not require as much work in rural areas. Look for someplace near water.

See if you can find references to parks that no longer exist as parks, perhaps they've become part of a neighborhood with large, accessible yards nowadays.

That's the 100 level coursework.

Pick one of those topics then pursue it as Ahab went after the great white whale.

Goodyguy

Gold Member
Mar 10, 2007
Arizona
Detector(s) used
Whites TM 808, Whites GMT, Tesoro Lobo Super Traq, Fisher Gold Bug 2, Suction Dredges, Trommels, Gold Vacs, High Bankers, Fluid bed Gold Traps, Rock Crushers, Sluices, Dry Washers, Miller Tables, Rp4
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
kgt12 said:
Hi Folks,

Thanks

Depends on what you are after. CW relics, caches, coin drops, buried treasure, lost mines, etc.

For instance if you are after caches, look for related news stories such as....... Eccentric Millionaire passes away suddenly. Or wealthy widower succumbs to pneumonia. etc. A lot of old timers did not trust banks and if they died suddenly they did not have time to dig up their stashes or they became senile and forgot where they buried them. Now you have to learn the common hiding places, Post hole banks, behind loose fireplace bricks and on and on. Do some research on hiding places, find out where caches have been found. etc.

Research is the key!
Don't go after "treasure stories" they are a waste of time. Instead look for related stories that others may have overlooked.

I do not waste my time looking for single coins. For me my research time and time in the field is too precious for that. (I'm getting old)
Plenty of md'ers are happy finding a coin here and a coin there though. :tongue3:

For those loose coins, research for anywhere people congregated, church picnics, fairs, parks, parade routes etc. Try to find places that were not used much after the 1940's (too much trash in those areas)

Just decide what you want then go after it with a passion!

Happy Hunting,
GG~

PS. Before digging in public: practice on your own yard first! Learn to cut a proper plug and fill all holes leaving as little trace as possible.
Dig every target you find....it's a great way to learn your detector, make note of sound and reading for every object found. Don't go public till your yard is clean of all targets. By then you will be an expert! :icon_thumleft:

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
GoodyGuy said:
kgt12 said:
Hi Folks,

Thanks

Depends on what you are after. CW relics, caches, coin drops, buried treasure, lost mines, etc.

For instance if you are after caches, look for related news stories such as....... Eccentric Millionaire passes away suddenly. Or wealthy widower succumbs to pneumonia. etc. A lot of old timers did not trust banks and if they died suddenly they did not have time to dig up their stashes or they became senile and forgot where they buried them. Now you have to learn the common hiding places, Post hole banks, behind loose fireplace bricks and on and on. Do some research on hiding places, find out where caches have been found. etc.

Research is the key!
Don't go after "treasure stories" they are a waste of time. Instead look for related stories that others may have overlooked.

I do not waste my time looking for single coins. For me my research time and time in the field is too precious for that. (I'm getting old)
Plenty of md'ers are happy finding a coin here and a coin there though. :tongue3:

For those loose coins, research for anywhere people congregated, church picnics, fairs, parks, parade routes etc. Try to find places that were not used much after the 1940's (too much trash in those areas)

Just decide what you want then go after it with a passion!

Happy Hunting,
GG~

PS. Before digging in public: practice on your own yard first! Learn to cut a proper plug and fill all holes leaving as little trace as possible.
Dig every target you find....it's a great way to learn your detector, make note of sound and reading for every object found. Don't go public till your yard is clean of all targets. By then you will be an expert! :icon_thumleft:
Exactly what he said.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
Looks like you got some good advice already. I don't know where you live, so hard to make specific suggestions.

But here's one often overlooked and easily researched at local library: check the lost and found ads. Before 1950 most newspapers carried these free, and some of them gave fairly specific locations for searching. Research should cut down your search area and time. So spend your time looking through the lost and founds for 1920-1950, and see what pops out at you. Keep a notebook of what you found, and where it was located at: you probably will want to find it again later.

In my own area, it's amazing how many lost pocket watch fobs with gold coins, diamond and platinum rings, bracelets, and other valuables have been lost in my town over the years. It really helps to have several good newspapers that you can check several sources through. And this time of year is the PERFECT time to get this researching done.

Another suggestion: make a map of where things were lost, and what they were. If one lead doesn't work out, another one if often close-by.

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
Well, here's how I do it. First it depends on your location! Look at a US Treasure Atlas for your area. They are listed by state and county. Find something that interest you. NOW,you have to check records to see if the event really happened, if the people involved really lived, If the treasure involved really existed. After all this you are ready to go after an exact location to search. Check the sat images for the area and see if it has been developed.
If it is undeveloped, find the owner and get permission to hunt the area. Offer him a 50/50 cut of the found treasure. This helps get a yes answer to hunt. Oh, get the 50/50 agreement in writing or carry a big gun when you find it to enforce the agreement, but be honest about the split! I usually split it in two separate garbage bags and let the owner pick which " unopened" bag he wants.
Good luck! Frank

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Some of my best leads come from the old newspapers on microfilm from the mid to late 1800's. Very descriptive of events. You can scan them pretty fast once you figure out the layout of them...seperate the ads from the newsworthy.
Also, check to see if your library has any of the old "Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps". They are priceless for research in locating old buildings and structures that may be long gone. We used to have online access but the company got greedy and cut us off. Your library may have access to the online maps which would be awesome!

At one of the libraries here, there is a book from the early 1900's just on playgrounds. :read2:

Also, at the bigger library, they have a room with a state archives which include personal diaries from some of the earliest settlers. They don't have much in treasure leads but reading about a mother who shot a wolf to protect her child was cool.

Like others mentioned, it depends on your state and what your interests are. Libraries are a treasure in themselves.

Al

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nearly every little town has a site used for a carnival or fair in days past. If you can find the spot still vacant, it could be a gold mine. Monty

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
I tried the treasure hunting club route, but it seams they were mainly interested in planted treasure hunts which I don't care for. They held their treasure hunting sites as closely guarded secrets. Any of you that know me know that I share a lot of information. I have given out many good locations based on shared research. I enjoy working with another honest TR.
AS for research,"Don't leave home without it!"

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
kgt12 said:
Thanks everyone, some great ideas.
BTW, I'm in Pittsfield Ma.
You're lucky to be surrounded by history, then. Almost anywhere you hunt nearby will have human settlements over 300 years old. Pick a spot and hunt.

If you're looking for relics (or even if you're not) you'll find quite a few.

If you're looking for old coins, research what was happening in your area from the time the coin was minted until 30 years afterwards. Most US coins last less than 30 years in circulation, according to the US Mint.

Could be a lot of trash in your area from that long a historical accumulation. Don't despair: dig it all up. For every nail and rusted can you pick up, you'll probably find something underneath it or nearby.

I wish I had your problem of deciding where to begin.

twomtns2002

Jun 30, 2010
Area 51
Large scale Edu project available in Mass.
Granby Native American area had a complaint from a memeber about the ursurped area used for winter activity and grain storeage etc... County and state officials have denounced any use of area due to lack of codes conformity.
Granby site has a lot of artifact potential and is also a high risk for europlague germs and dead bodies.
General plan due to direct complaint from tribe member is for alternative project to include shelter and removal of old dirt mound.
Again danger - old biohazard danger - best forensic and Edu anthro /archaeo please.
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/meancosmalltalk - Ten year plan? Micro photos first?

UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
My favorite is the old maps.
See what your town and surrounding communities looked like 50, 100, 200 years ago.
You'll get an idea where to hunt.
The old maps will show the oldest roads, parks, and businesses
that may have changed in the recent past.

In my town there was only one bridge over the river.
Now there are three.
The oldest bridge crossing, and surrounding streets yields the
oldest and most abundant artifacts.

NatorMVP

Jan 3, 2011
Fort Drum, NY
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter TK4-PL Tracker IV
kgt12 said:
Thanks everyone, some great ideas.
BTW, I'm in Pittsfield Ma.

Good luck to you bro, I'm from Chicopee, MA. Even though I'm stationed up in upstate NY I hope to be in Western, MA again this coming summer to go back to school. Maybe we can stay in touch and do some hunting together.

Tuberale

Gold Member
May 12, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster Pro
UncleVinnys said:
My favorite is the old maps.
See what your town and surrounding communities looked like 50, 100, 200 years ago.
You'll get an idea where to hunt.
The old maps will show the oldest roads, parks, and businesses
that may have changed in the recent past.

In my town there was only one bridge over the river.
Now there are three.
The oldest bridge crossing, and surrounding streets yields the
oldest and most abundant artifacts.
Makes you wonder what's under and near the bridge, too. Especially just downstream.

Ronfrommichigan

Jan 8, 2011
Oxford MI
Detector(s) used
All
I bought an old 1940's Michigan Parks atlas off of Ebay for a couple of bucks that had a lot of city parks and old ski areas listed.Yea,very simply but effective.It confirmed how old some of the parks are where I do a lot of my searching.Because of this old atlas my metal detecting friends are surprised at how I come up with some old sites right under our nose.HH Ron

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread