Flying to mexico

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Do you mean "problems" with the detector as a piece of luggage on the airplane? Or do you mean "trouble" as in legalities of detecting in Mexico? Please clarify your question.

OP
OP
Fishtanks

Fishtanks

Jan 21, 2010
Milton, Wi
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 / Minelab Xterra 705
Tom_in_CA said:
Do you mean "problems" with the detector as a piece of luggage on the airplane? Or do you mean "trouble" as in legalities of detecting in Mexico? Please clarify your question.

Well, I guess that I am talking about the detector being a piece of luggage.
And you brought up a good question. Is there any legalities of detecting in Mexico??
Thanks, Fishtanks

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Well, as for the airline luggage part of your question, I can't imagine why it would be treated differently than any other type piece of electronic luggage people carry nowadays. Ie.: computer stuff, sound equipment, stereo-stuff, etc.... Naturally, take the batteries out, collapse it down, etc.... But maybe someone else knows more about this than I.

As for detecting legalities in Mexico, it would be just like the united states: yes you might get a "no", if you asked with the right combination of buzz words. Because just like our ARPA, they too have verbage & don't want people pillaging the pyramaids, or exporting shipwreck salvor stuff, etc... So for this reason, some well-intentioned md'rs getting ready to travel, have gotten "no's" from bureaucrats or border lawyer types. But the same would be true in the USA: some desk-bound lawyer may be thinking of federal laws, or mel fisher legal hassles, etc... But the fact is, detectors are a common site on the tourist beaches down there. All the major manufacturers have dealers in the major cities down there, etc.... So it's probably just like here: Use common sense, stay away from obvious historic monuments, etc....

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_pirat: We flew to Mexico a few years ago and I had my detector in the checked baggage. No Problem! It was barely looked at when the luggage was checked at immigration going into Mexico and returning to the good old USA. And that was AFTER 911. It should be no problem even today. Just call the airline and ask if you have any doubts. Be general, just ask if a metal detector is allowed in checked luggage. Stay vague, don't sound like you are planning to use it to overthrow the government with ill gotten gold. :laughing9:

Monty

Gold Member
Jan 26, 2005
Sand Springs, OK
Detector(s) used
ACE 250, Garrett
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The last time I flew I put my detector inside a suitcase, inside a larger suitcase and it made the trip there and back OK. But I was warned by the Airlines that they would not insure sensitive electronic equipment if damaged. But that was 5 years ago so I don't know how it is now. Monty

OP
OP
Fishtanks

Fishtanks

Jan 21, 2010
Milton, Wi
Detector(s) used
Thankyou everyone who responded to my post. I talked to a friend of mine that has gone to mexico in the past year. He said he has no problem bring his detector with him. But he said to just put it in his check in luggage. So thats what I will do. All that I plan on doing is to go detecting on the beach.
Thanks again for all your posts. It was much appreciated.
Fishtanks

coindude

Jan 12, 2011
Went to Cancun in December. Visited with 2 Americans detecting the beaches in our weels stay. Nobody was bothering them. THey weren't having much luck, or so they said. Wished I had taken mine. Good luck.

Goat84

Jan 13, 2011
Fishtanks said:
If I decided to take my metal detector with me there. Will I have any problems with immigration officials. I am a legal citizen of the United States. Are there any hoops to jump through?
Thankyou, Fishtanks

I just returned from Mexico on Tuesday and don't see why you would have any problems. Of course it depends on what part of Mexico you will be visiting, but I would wager that everything should be fine. I visit Mexico at least twice yearly and usually transport scuba gear and various gear for the ecotours and other expeditions that I go on and have never had a problem. The only time I have even had my bag pulled was once when I was returning with some premium Tequilas and had them wrapped in old clothes for protection... guess it just looked suspicious on the xray machine. Anyway, as far as I know there are no rules against taking that sort of equipment... in fact, I met a guy (out of Toronto, Canada) using his metal detector on the beach in Cozumel last week. I asked how he was doing and the only response I received was a gruff "not well." In any event, he was not being harasses or bothered and the beach was fairly crowded... Hope this helps.

-Goat

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Hope you have a safe, productive trip. I hope you will be safe as there is a drug war going on there as I'm sure you know. I'm not trying to discourage your intentions, just be aware of your surroundings.

OP
OP
Fishtanks

Fishtanks

Jan 21, 2010
Milton, Wi
Detector(s) used
crazyjarhead said:
Hope you have a safe, productive trip. I hope you will be safe as there is a drug war going on there as I'm sure you know. I'm not trying to discourage your intentions, just be aware of your surroundings.

We are staying at a all inclusive resort in Cabo. I will be with my wife and seven other couples. I am very aware of the situation down there. Thankyou for your concern, it is much appreciated.
Thankyou to all who have posted to my thread. You all have been very helpful!!
Fishtanks

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Fishtanks said:
crazyjarhead said:

We are staying at a all inclusive resort in Cabo. I will be with my wife and seven other couples. I am very aware of the situation down there. Thankyou for your concern, it is much appreciated.
Fishtanks

Enjoy your vacation. I always wanted to go there to tuna fish but never made it. Hope you score on some jewelery

OP
OP
Fishtanks

Fishtanks

Jan 21, 2010
Milton, Wi
Detector(s) used
crazyjarhead said:
Fishtanks said:
crazyjarhead said:

Fishtanks

Enjoy your vacation. I always wanted to go there to tuna fish but never made it. Hope you score on some jewelery

Hey crazyjarhead, I hope I find a bunch of Jewelery Too!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread