Garrett Gtax550 usuable depth range?

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Using this unit with fresh batteries, I am got getting hits on coin size targets at much over 4 to 5 inches in central fla. soil. Does anyone know if that is the norm? Also, a new guy question. When I have dug the hole for a coin and the detector originally showed that the coin was at about 3 to 4 inches and after a through examination of the dirt that was removed and no coin found when going that deep, I have again placed the coil over the hole on several occasions and will still get a signal of the same type. Many times it will then show that the target is still deeper, say 6 to seven inches using the pin pointing mode again. Usually, I have will still find nothing. Could I be hitting on a rust ring?

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't used a 550 but even a GTI is no depth demon so 4"-6" wouldn't surprise me.

As for your problem the depth indicator will only be close when it's a coin size target. So chances are you are picking up something larger that's a foot, or maybe even deeper down. If it's a solid 2 way tone and always repeats, if you keep digging you will find something. Another simple mistake some new people make is pinpointing with the coil too close to the ground. Being so close they don't get completely centered over the object and it throws off the detector. Raising the coil solves it.

Once you put many hours in things will really start to click.

OP
OP
smittyw

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Thank you very much for the information and tip on pinpointing. Yes, I have been putting the coil on the ground and trying to pinpoint. Will do it the way you recommend and should have better luck. May try a little later today if can. No snow here in FLa but it is still only about 37 out side in sunny Plant City/Dover area now. They still throwing the water on the strawberries to keep them frozen at 32, ha.

Iron Patch

Gold Member
Sep 28, 2007
Dirtyville
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
smittyw said:
Thank you very much for the information and tip on pinpointing. Yes, I have been putting the coil on the ground and trying to pinpoint. Will do it the way you recommend and should have better luck. May try a little later today if can. No snow here in FLa but it is still only about 37 out side in sunny Plant City/Dover area now. They still throwing the water on the strawberries to keep them frozen at 32, ha.

You'll be amazed how much easier it gets once you have some time in. The basics come quick, then it's more about fine tuning the little things.

I'm very far from Fl and very snow covered, but I'm used to it!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread