Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I am going to Florida to get away from this miserable weather in New England for a couple of months.
My concern is the poisonous snakes/ animals in the warmer climate..
Im not really concerned about me but i have a little Jack Russell Terrorist that i take hunting with me everywhere.He gets into everything exploring and i would be concerned if he did see a snake or something he would be right on it..I love this pooch more than i love myself......
What precautions can i take for him and for myself..
John

Attachments

• dec 08 001.jpg
    dec 08 001.jpg
    629.4 KB · Views: 762
  • dweebster 002.jpg
    dweebster 002.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 630

leatherneck

Apr 20, 2009
St. Petersburg, Fl.
Detector(s) used
Gold Bug DP
Please don't take your dog into the woods with you. It is winter and the snakes should be in hibernation but,,,, when it gets warm they will come out sometimes for food. You also need to think about the gators, fire ants, raccoons and eagles. Eagles will pick up a small dog for lunch.. I have seen dogs walk right over a rattle snake and not know it's there. I have hunted mostly on the beaches and found nothing but junk. Most of your historic sites are protected. Find a metal detector club and join. They will be able to help you find places that are legal to hunt. Hope this helps.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
It depends on what part of Florida you plan on hunting. I used to have a wild bunch of friends I would hang out with in the Everglades of South Fl. Water Moccasins, pigmy rattlers, Wild hogs, etc.....frequent the Southern part of the state even most of the winter months. We would see them all the time. Contact Dale a.k.a. bigcypresshunter here on t-net. He knows what going on down there these days. COOL DOG!

White Feather

Nov 19, 2008
Ellenton, Florida
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster, Bounty Hunter, Propwash...
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
:icon_pirat: Hey, if you love your little dog so much, leave him home. Don't go out in the wilderness areas of Florida with him. Gators will have him for a snack and eagles will swoop down in a heartbeat. People bring all sorts of pets down and then get upset when Fluffy the cat turns up on the dinner menu at Gator's Restaurant. I have a Congo African Gray parrot and have to be very careful. He only goes outside in his travel cage and even then I watch the sky. Going from the boat to the car he is caged. Sitting in the wheelhouse I watch the local eagles and hawks. Even falling into the water can be fatal. The fish here can be dangerous to a small land animal. so do yourself a favor and leave the cute little dogie home when you hunt. You will both be happier for it. 8)

Attachments

• Atty watching Hawk on dock.jpg
    Atty watching Hawk on dock.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 567

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
White Feather said:
:icon_pirat: Hey, if you love your little dog so much, leave him home. Don't go out in the wilderness areas of Florida with him. Gators will have him for a snack and eagles will swoop down in a heartbeat. People bring all sorts of pets down and then get upset when Fluffy the cat turns up on the dinner menu at Gator's Restaurant. I have a Congo African Gray parrot and have to be very careful. He only goes outside in his travel cage and even then I watch the sky. Going from the boat to the car he is caged. Sitting in the wheelhouse I watch the local eagles and hawks. Even falling into the water can be fatal. The fish here can be dangerous to a small land animal. so do yourself a favor and leave the cute little dogie home when you hunt. You will both be happier for it. 8)
And don't forget those stealthy Osprey's

But those Jack Russel's are tough, tough dogs!

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Lived Fla since 1955. Ditto all above. Sister had 6' rattler in front yard last week and she lives in a built up area just east of Tampa. Plenty of vets to board the pet for a short or long time in this area so you can hunt if you wish to bring the dog down. Rules on hunting, especially in this county (Hillsborough) are mean. No parks is a real stinker, and there are probably others that I don't really want to look up. Not that ignorance will be any help. Poison Ivy is another concern. I always wear gloves on both hands when hunting and just cut the thumb off the right one so I can work the detector well. See Osprey mainly in this area. At least it is warmer this week than last, but hey, it's Florida, that will change in a minute.

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
smittyw said:
Lived Fla since 1955. Ditto all above. Sister had 6' rattler in front yard last week and she lives in a built up area just east of Tampa. Plenty of vets to board the pet for a short or long time in this area so you can hunt if you wish to bring the dog down. Rules on hunting, especially in this county (Hillsborough) are mean. No parks is a real stinker, and there are probably others that I don't really want to look up. Not that ignorance will be any help. Poison Ivy is another concern. I always wear gloves on both hands when hunting and just cut the thumb off the right one so I can work the detector well. See Osprey mainly in this area. At least it is warmer this week than last, but hey, it's Florida, that will change in a minute.

I thought you could get your dog vaccinated for venomous reptiles/spiders..

Blaze

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
No only anti venom... lived here my whole life... In the woods ya might come across a small pond and a gator will have um for lunch...
SeminoleForest5-09043-1.jpg

When there bowed up like that look out. This one lives in a small pond where we camp. Snakes can be a problem... but I had a Brittany that would follow me on my dirt bike thru the woods. One day we came back she couldn't stand up, and the vet said likely a poison frog or lizard. We have a lot more invasive exotic species here now more than ever before...

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
I guess there is one good thing about Rhode Island is there is not any animal or reptile that can hurt
you..

Blaze..

wildman4910

Sep 1, 2010
Cocoa, FL
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Here in Florida any body of water can have gators in it, even salt water rivers/lagoons.

Gators favorite snack is fearless little doggies. :'(

Keep him home and happy. ;D

Other than that keep an eye out for snakes and have fun!

~~Happy Hunting~~

LM

Dec 11, 2007
South
Detector(s) used
Charts and Maps.
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
My property in FL has gators pretty regular and snakes *galore*- including rattlers so big they look like they came out of the prehistoric age- and Moccasins meaner than a Moccasin. Last time we were down, there was a rattler crossing the road that was every bit of 6 feet if it was an inch. I am a dog lover, but I don't bring my dog with me. If you're planning on exploring these areas, I'd suggest the same. The wildlife in Florida is different than in other places. Everything either bites, stings, scratches, mauls and/or is poisonous.

My favorite snake medicine is the 54" Sjambok by Cold Steel. Here's a video where the somewhat goofy and awkward owner of the company demos them.

They will kill a snake graveyard dead- without the baggage associated with discharging a firearm, not to mention that actually hitting a fast moving snake with a bullet in a high stress situation is a lot easier said than done. With 54" reach and a bit of familiarization, you won't miss with a Sjambok. You will have to get just close enough to the snake to raise hairs on the back of your neck, but you will be outside their striking range. It has the added advantage of being able to cut down tall grass, turn back a bad dog who might want to attack your good dog, etc. It's a great companion to have in Floridas woods.

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
LSMorgan said:
The wildlife in Florida is different than in other places. Everything either bites, stings, scratches, mauls and/or is poisonous.

.........and those are just the northern tourists. ;D

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
Treasure_Hunter said:
LSMorgan said:
The wildlife in Florida is different than in other places. Everything either bites, stings, scratches, mauls and/or is poisonous.

.........and those are just the northern tourists. ;D

Yeah i lived in Florida three times..
Floridians dont like northerners because we work fast and hard..
Instead of slow and lazy... :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Which is why that state is dominated and owned by the Spanish >:(

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I asked around and nobody misses you. Said they had to fix everything you worked fast and hard at. Why not stay in roadisland instead of bashing a state you moved to?

Oh, about the dog, what everyone else said.

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
davest said:
I asked around and nobody misses you. Said they had to fix everything you worked fast and hard at. Why not stay in roadisland instead of bashing a state you moved to?

Oh, about the dog, what everyone else said.

There is more white trash in Florida than a dumpster behind a paper plate factory... :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey johnnyblaze you say that you lived in FL 3 times so why are you asking how to take care of your dog. You should know what to do if you lived there before......Matt

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
mlayers said:
Hey johnnyblaze you say that you lived in FL 3 times so why are you asking how to take care of your dog. You should know what to do if you lived there before......Matt

Hey Matt i never had a dog when i lived there...Last in 2003..I never wandered off in the woods neither except on my dirtbike...Alot of dangerous insects/reptiles/animals in Florida..Around here there is nothing really dangerous..Our ancestors wiped them all out years ago.Im just having fun with you Floridians...Nothing personal :3some:

Blaze...

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
oh, I see. Your mommy is bringing you to disney again :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

I apologize, it's just all these posts asking "I'm visiting Rhode Island, where does one hunt" that flabbergast me. :laughing7: :laughing7:

ssssssseeeeerrrrrriiiiiiiiooooouuuusssssslllllly, is Cinderella still your favorite?

centfladigger

Feb 6, 2008
Florida
I didnt find bashing Floridians funny at all, you can find white trash in any state, my family has been here since the 1860`s and we got our by busting our humps. Leave your dog at home. You`ll get alot more done and more observant of your surroundings without having to worry about a pet. I wouldnt worry too much about gators. I dive all the time with them in the water. This isnt some wild state run out of control with crazy man eating animals. Just be prepared and have some kind of plan and get out there and find your thing. There are some big snakes here and there, this one came up on me while I was digging and I got him with my shovel. I take my son digging in the swamp all the time, Im not worried at all but then again Im used to it, I know what to look for

0221001042.jpg

DSC01988-1.jpg

DSC09484-1.jpg

DSCF4195.jpg

OP
OP
johnnyblaze

johnnyblaze

Silver Member
Dec 20, 2010
Rhode Island
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
T2 SPECIAL EDITION
Primary Interest:
Other
centfladigger said:
I didnt find bashing Floridians funny at all, you can find white trash in any state

It was a joke my lil liberal friend :laughing7:
Only a liberal will offend that easy :tongue3:
I am coming down soon so fill this out and ill check it when i get there :laughing9: :laughing9: :laughing9:

Attachments

• hurt feelings report.jpg
    hurt feelings report.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 485

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions