mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was wondering how often I need to buy a new battery for my DFX. I just bought one 2 yrs ago and nw it will not charge. Is this common with the rechargable battery. Dose anyone else how here have to buy a new battery every couple of years. My son has a remote control car that he has had for 10 yrs and he has never bought a differt battery for it. It still has the orginal one.....Matt

West Jersey Detecting

Gold Member
Oct 23, 2006
Philadelphia Area
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Nokta Legend, Excalibur 1000/II (hybrid) , Teknetics T2 SE
Primary Interest:
Other
It may be the charger and not the battery. I had a DFX and never had a problem with the battery or the charger. Call White's at (541) 367-6121. Explain the situation and I bet they send one out to you.

crazyjarhead

Gold Member
Sep 10, 2007
N. San Diego County
Detector(s) used
Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Good luck finding the problem, Matt. I think you will be happy with the service at White's.........I hope. I had a friend stop by there in Sweet Home Oregon a few month's ago and had a problem with one of his detectors. He said that they fixed it on the spot with no questions asked. I've had the same kind of service with Garrett.......so far. 2 broken parts and they mailed me a new one both times with no money or questions asked.

S.S.Tupperware

Jul 18, 2009
Orlando
Detector(s) used
PI Dual/Coinmaster 5500d/DFX/BHID
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Matt, after a year mine dosen't seem to hold a charge like it did when new...

fistfulladirt

Gold Member
Feb 21, 2008
Great Lakes State
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
dirtfishing
Primary Interest:
Other
Those rechargeable batteries have memory. I fully discharge mine by leaving the detector on. Then, I put the battery on the charger, usually overnite. ffd

a4wdguy

Mar 10, 2005
West Virginia
Detector(s) used
TDI, DFX, M6, XLT, XL Pro, CM 6000 Di Pro, Beach Hunter ID 300, Beach Hunter ID, Surfmaster P.I.(Plus)
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
The White's rechargeables do not have a memory. White's specifically warns against fully discharging their batteries.
Using a voltmeter to test the charger probably won't work, since the charger doesn't provide a charge unless it senses a load.
I've had the rechargeables in my 6000's, Eagles, Spectrums, XLT, and DFX and never had a problem with one. However, they do go bad every now and then. There's no way to predict when, either.
Most often, a battery that won't charge is the result of charging a battery overnight with the chargers set to "fast charge". That will fry a battery every time.
Does the red light on the charger come on when you plug it in to the battery? If not, I'd suspect the charger. If the red light comes on, but the battery doesn't charge, suspect the battery.
The best advice is to call White's and see what they have to say.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread