UncleVinnys

Bronze Member
Dec 27, 2007
Hancock Street, Folsom, CA
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 600
Frankn said:
THERE IS NO BEST METAL DETECTOR!
Metal detector choices are driven by actual usage and personal biases towards visual design!

Amen to that!

Once you've found a machine that works well for you, however, I would investigate
the Minelab SE series, since their technology measures both resistivity and conductivity in
the targets. This lets you profile junk, like pull-tabs, in a way that really increases the
amount of take-home treasure you can dig up.

Just as important as the detector, get a good hand-held probe.
I use the Garrett Pro-Pointer, and it has dramatically reduced the
amount of time it takes to retrieve the coin.

My 2-cents worth.

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Frankn said:
THERE IS NO BEST METAL DETECTOR!
Metal detector choices are driven by actual usage and personal biases towards visual design!
I agree!

Attachments

5.6 KB · Views: 441

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
The BEST locator is a shovel! Never seen a detector that can dig up a coin!
Rich

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75 standard (last 3 yrs.)
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Treasure finder said:
The BEST locator is a shovel! Never seen a detector that can dig up a coin!
Rich

Good point, however, I have never seen a shovel that could locate a coin! ;D

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The best one for me for the detecting I do is my White's DFX. I don't worry a lot about tryin to understand all the electronic theory behind metal detectors, but try to practice, practice, until it becomes second nature as to what the detector is telling me. I have noticed that finding a good productive area to detect in raises my opinion of my detector.

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
RGINN said:
The best one for me for the detecting I do is my White's DFX. I don't worry a lot about tryin to understand all the electronic theory behind metal detectors, but try to practice, practice, until it becomes second nature as to what the detector is telling me. I have noticed that finding a good productive area to detect in raises my opinion of my detector.

Well put and one of the most valid points made, so far, in this thread.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Two points that don't seem to have come up so far....

What sort of detector suits your detecting style ? ie is your natural sweep speed slow or fast. If slow then a two filter would suit, if fast a four filter like the old Spectrums/XLT. Or you could go for adjustable filtering for the best of both worlds. Or an old Compass Varifilter

Weight and perhaps even more important balance, is vital. You could have a less deep detector that will find you far more just because you can stay in the field longer.

Ronfrommichigan

Jan 8, 2011
Oxford MI
Detector(s) used
All
That's a loaded question,but the answer's reveals where these treasure hunters are far as their knowledge of equipment.I have used a lot of detectors and all the big manufactures make great units and some lemons.Read post,visit dealers,and ask yourself how much you want to spent and what type of hunting in mind.I will tell you you want get the best detector at an entry price.Good Luck

tumbleinn2

Apr 24, 2010
Michigan
Detector(s) used
WHITE"S SPECTRA V3i d2 coil 6x10 coil 5.3 coil super 12 surfmaster II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Silly rabbits tricks are for pro's. If you dont know this question.

Kieth-Tx

Jun 5, 2006
Victoria & Corpus Christi Texas
Detector(s) used
Xterra 705, Tejon, 1270, Stingray II & CZ-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is a Ford or Chevy type question....but seeing as I like Mopars....I have only owned about a dozen detectors, still have 6...BUT....my Tejon is my "go to" favorite!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Kieth-Tx said:
This is a Ford or Chevy type question....but seeing as I like Mopars....I have only owned about a dozen detectors, still have 6...BUT....my Tejon is my "go to" favorite!

Yep..............

It is like asking which is better:
Blonds, brunettes or redheads?
Fords or Chevys?
American wife or Oriental wife?

Me, I am a Chevy man, Owned a nice 57 Chevy and then a beautiful 55 Chevy 2 door coupe for 12 years that I showed at car shows, also owned new 69 Roadrunner, 69 MG Midget, 70 Austin Healy Sprite, totally customized 76 short bed Chevy van with 3 on the floor, yet my wife's current car is a 2008 Ford, and I drive a Chrysler Mini Van now.

I like blonds, but my first wife was brunette, and my current wife (and last wife) has jet black hair, I prefer Orientals, my first wife was tiny Caucasian and my wife now is a tiny sexy Oriental (Filipino)...

I own 4 ML's, a Whites, and a Fisher. Who knows what I will add to the arsenal next....

Roland58

Bronze Member
Oct 3, 2010
Tyler, TX
Detector(s) used
CTX-3030 10-04-13
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
TH sed, "I own 4 ML's, a Whites, and a Fisher. Who knows what I will add to the arsenal next.... "

How about a tall, blonde, midget, Caucasian with almond eyes driving a Mini Cooper? ::) ;D :icon_thumleft:

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Roland58 said:
TH sed, "I own 4 ML's, a Whites, and a Fisher. Who knows what I will add to the arsenal next.... "

How about a tall, blonde, midget, Caucasian with almond eyes driving a Mini Cooper? ::) ;D :icon_thumleft:

LOL, you never know..............

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread