Any old or interesting superstitions you know of relating to placement of coins?

Bushido Dude

Dec 20, 2005
Kill Devil Hills, N.C.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this today while trying to find the answer to a question for a friend.....interesting superstition.....and I wonder how many half dollars were lost/forgotten due to drunkenness on new years eve hahaha.......any other superstitions you can think of that may have led to some of your very own or others MDing finds?

"Cabbage in the Pocket - is Cabbage Luck?

A site member, Bill Robinson, writes to us, relating an old food superstition that he encountered: " For financial luck in the new year you hide a silver dollar outside on New Year's Eve. Just before midnight you bring it in. The next day you slit a hole in a cabbage, put the silver dollar in, and cook the cabbage. You then eat the cabbage. I am sure it can be traced to an old wife's tale." Is it a coincidence, then, that one of our terms for money is 'cabbage?' "

I hope you all may find one of those silver dollers lost or forgotten :)

DoubleUgly

Feb 11, 2010
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
In our tradition, it was black-eye peas on New Years, and to bury some money in the back yard for "riches in the new year". Well, riches never came.

My dear ol' ma asked me to bring my detector back home and find those buries baby food jars! Maybe there will be some decent coins that we put in.

I believe the burying money was a southern thing. My stepdad from Mississippi and my mom from Texas did it.

EdleBrock

Nov 5, 2007
Placing pennys on the eyes of the dead to pay the ferryman... Not sure of the origin but have heard several references.

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
In Britain and other parts of Europe they would place a coin under the window sill as a property was built. Of the year of construction if possible. Many would have emigrated and carried on the custom in the new world.

Also worth checking under doorstep of the front door for a jar containing various objects to prevent evil spirits entering. In Britain often a Bellermine jar was used. These were a glazed jar with a face on one side. Now worth a load of money !

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
If you are winning some big money during a gambling session, the belief is that you should make sure you do NOT get up to wash your hands. And you should definitely not go to the toilet – better to hold on for as long as possible! In Cantonese, the word pee means “to let go of water”. To the Chinese, water always means money, so if you leave the gambling table to go to the toilet, it is like pouring your money down the drain. :D

Mar 3, 2008
PA
Detector(s) used
X-Terra 70 , Ace 250
Yes this one works , if you want to read a persons toughts/Mind , just keeping tosing a coin untill it lands , and is balanced on its Edge , The only way you can brake this Gift is to knock the coin off its edge with another coin . There is a how to manual its called " A Penny for Your Thoughts " Twilght zone episode with Dick York ....Copyright 1961, I tried it and it works :dontknow:

zerojinx

Dec 6, 2010
Republic of Texas
Detector(s) used
working on that
i always place a penny in every positive hole i dig on archaeological surveys. Positive meaning i found something made by man in the shovel test. I always use the current year for the penny.

simonds

Feb 4, 2005
Tioga Co. Pa.
I've always heard it was good luck to place a coin over the entry door of your house when you build it. I have been in the building business for many years and yes I have found them when installing a new door. Anytime I install a new door in a house I always lay a current year penny on top of the head jamb.

halfdime

Silver Member
Oct 31, 2006
Zelienople
Detector(s) used
White's XLT
When renovating my house, I found wheat pennies under most of the windowsills. They were from the '40's, which leads me to believe the house had been done over then. The owners we bought from had been there since 1953.

DoubleUgly

Feb 11, 2010
Eugene, Oregon
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Prospector
I read yesterday that in some places in Europe, coins were left at (or on, somewhere) a bridge, to appease the fair folk that reigned over the passage.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread