Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    us
    Jun 2010

Rattle snake question

I was watching an old cowboy movie recently and the cowboy put his bedroll on the ground getting ready to sack out. He then uncoiled his rope and laid it on the ground in a circle around his sleeping area. He said this would keep out any snakes as a snake would not crawl across the rope.

Is this really true?

2. # ADS
    Ads

TreasureNet.com is the premier Treasure Hunting Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see these ads. Please Register - It's Free!

us
    Sep 2007
    Ring Of Fire
    2 times
    Metal Detecting

Re: Rattle snake question

Never heard of that before..........interesting That would be a good challenge for the Mythbusters, though

Kentucky Kache

Actually, that discussion was on the forum some time back. I don't remember what presented evidence was, pro or con.

us
    Relic hunter

Mar 2008
    Kentucky
    Whites
    122 times
    Relic Hunting

Quote Originally Posted by junglejim
    I was watching an old cowboy movie recently and the cowboy put his bedroll on the ground getting ready to sack out. He then uncoiled his rope and laid it on the ground in a circle around his sleeping area. He said this would keep out any snakes as a snake would not crawl across the rope.

Is this really true?
    Did you watch that on true grit ?, Great Movie.
    I can't imagine a snake having a problem crossing a rope, I have seen them go through some pretty rough terrain with no problem.

Nova Treasure

Charter Member
    us
    Dec 2006
    Combine
    Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Master Hunter CX Plus, Teknetics G2
    68 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

It was believed to be true for many years, but actually a snake will go to the heat of your body if it is cold enough. A snake will cross rocks, go in and out of cactus and across hot sand. A grass rope will not stop it. Rope or no rope you could end up with an unwelcome guest in the sleeping bag with you.

Not all who wander are lost - Some of us are simply confused. (Apologies to J.R.R. Tolkein's memory)

GARRETT / FISHER / TEKNETICS
    www.anthonysdetectors.com
    anthonysdetectors@live.com
    214-499-2530
    The very best in American made detection equipment!

us
    Sep 2010
    Cocoa, FL
    Ace 250
    2 times

I wouldn't trust that silliness to keep a rattler outta my fart sack!

That is definitely a load.

I've seen them crawl up close to vertical rock/dirt faces, a rope is no problem for them to crawl over.
    ~~ It's beeping! Why is it beeping!---Arrrh, not another beer can! ~~

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    72 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

us
    Feb 2006
    GARRETT PRO
    795 times

[quote=ThTx ]
    It was believed to be true for many years, but actually a snake will go to the heat of your body if it is cold enough. A snake will cross rocks, go in and out of cactus and across hot sand. A grass rope will not stop it. Rope or no rope you could end up with an unwelcome guest in the sleeping bag with you.

[/quote

Myth is a braided horsehair rope...

There is an old Indian method for chapped lips...lift a horses tail, stick your finger in and apply to your lips...medical research found that this did not work either...although it did keep the rider from licking his lips...

The more one learns the more he understands his ignorance. I am simply an ignor ant man trying to lessen his ignorance
    Those with the most birthdays live the longest

us
    May 2008
    Texas
    Teknetic G2, Excal 2 1000, Garrett Sea Hunter II
    2 times

The only thing a Rattler won't go over is a Black snake, the Black snake will eat the Rattler, I have seen it myself....HH

us
    Feb 2010
    Eugene, Oregon
    Bounty Hunter Prospector

I know ants won't cross a line of flour, but I've never seen something like rope keep a snake from not going where it wants to go.

mts
    us
    May 2009
    Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Silver µMax, BH Tracker IV, Garrett ProPointer
    4 times

I've also heard this claimed. My old boss who lived out in Arizona always kept a water hose laying across his back yard because he said the rattlers wouldn't cross it. I think he was blowing smoke to be honest. But who knows? If you are sleeping out in the desert, what do you have to lose?

us
    Jun 2010

Quote Originally Posted by nova treasure
    Quote Originally Posted by junglejim

Is this really true?
    Did you watch that on true grit ?, Great Movie.
    I can't imagine a snake having a problem crossing a rope, I have seen them go through some pretty rough terrain with no problem.

Nova Treasure
    I think it was True Grit.

us
    Jan 2005
    Rocky Mountains
    Minelab Ex-Terra 70, White's Classic II
    86 times

Quote Originally Posted by mts
    I've also heard this claimed. My old boss who lived out in Arizona always kept a water hose laying across his back yard because he said the rattlers wouldn't cross it. I think he was blowing smoke to be honest. But who knows? If you are sleeping out in the desert, what do you have to lose?
    Thanks for making up my mind about sleeping out in the desert. What if, just thinking out loud here, what if I sprinkled some snake food(?) around my buddies sleeping bag? Then when he yelled I could get in the truck. Works for me.
    BB
    “Why do we have the world we have if nobody wants it this way?”
    Elizabeth Whitney
    http://timebandit15.wordpress.com/20...-robert-reich/

us
    Jun 2010
    east texas
    Delta 4000 and Garrett 300 Teknetics T2 Minelab Explorer SE Pro
    44 times

I have heard that moth balls will repel snakes?

Charter Member
    us
    May 2010
    texas
    193 times

Hello Jungle Jim,

The theory behind this Rattlesnake proof snoring ring is that the Rattle snakes are afraid of King snakes, and rightly so as the King snake will eat a Rattlesnake. When a Rattlesnake sees the rope, it doesn't take any chances, and avoids it, as it could be a King snake.

Some people think a snake just uses it's tongue to guide it's self, but they also have eyes, at least the ones I've seen. I don't think the color of the rope really matters, as King snakes come in a variety of colors. The most popular King snake in my area are the Blue Indigo, which is black, then there is one that is black with yellow, and there is the Milk snake which kind of resembles a Coral snake.

I also used to trade snakes, and have handled hundreds. When I would put a small King snake with a bunch of big Rattlesnakes, they would get out of it's way pronto quick. I'm not sure if this trick works or not, but it does have a lot going for it.

Homar P. Olivarez

Charter Member
    us
    Oct 2007
    Summit County, CO
    White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster
    940 times

I've heard that story about the rope. My son is a herpetologist, so we threw a rope in with a timber rattler he had and it didn't seem to make much difference to the snake. Rattlesnakes are nocturnal, so they do a lot of hunting at night, and I do not know of one person who has had one wind up in his bedroll over night, except for Lucas McCain in that one episode of 'The Rifleman' on the TV. I have slept on the ground many times in rattlesnake country and never worried about them. I did watch out for copperheads and moccasins when near water though. Related, they are both very territorial and will come right over and check you out. I think you have more to worry about rattlers while out on the trail. Remember this, first guy gets their attention, second guy p*sses them off, and the third guy gets bit. Even if you're alone, always try to be the first guy.
    Just like Texas in 1880.

us
    May 2008
    deming n.m.
    Any thing Available within 50ft
    8 times

The Rope thing could have merrett but I don't think I want to test it out.

Assuming the Rope smelled of horse it may work..

I did wake up one time in Arizona go to roll up my bag and found a 3ft rattler under it.

I guess it just wanted to snuggle. LOL!

us
    Mar 2010
    East of West OhiO
    Ace 250
    1 times
    Honorable Mentions (1)

I'll call B.S. on this one.
    RGINN, I'm always first to the dinner table. That count?
    Flip Flop
    I'd give my right arm to be ambidextrous

Charter Member
    us
    Jan 2009
    South East Tennessee on Ga, Ala line
    Tesoro Conquistador freq shift Fisher F75 Garrett AT-Pro Larson mo jo pro Flippin stick
    2961 times
    Banner Finds (1)

Quote Originally Posted by coazon de oro
    Hello Jungle Jim,

The theory behind this Rattlesnake proof snoring ring is that the Rattle snakes are afraid of King snakes, and rightly so as the King snake will eat a Rattlesnake. When a Rattlesnake sees the rope, it doesn't take any chances, and avoids it, as it could be a King snake.

Some people think a snake just uses it's tongue to guide it's self, but they also have eyes, at least the ones I've seen. I don't think the color of the rope really matters, as King snakes come in a variety of colors. The most popular King snake in my area are the Blue Indigo, which is black, then there is one that is black with yellow, and there is the Milk snake which kind of resembles a Coral snake.

I also used to trade snakes, and have handled hundreds. When I would put a small King snake with a bunch of big Rattlesnakes, they would get out of it's way pronto quick. I'm not sure if this trick works or not, but it does have a lot going for it.

Homar P. Olivarez
    Good post about the king snake. It will eat any poisonous snake and they are immune to the venom. Problem is people do not know the difference between a King Snake or a Black Snake.
    Please read our rules and enjoy the site. TreasureNet.com Rules

All finds posted by me are from private property with landowner permission.

us
    Hoang Ho Consulting - Treasure/recycle Div

Jun 2010
    Area 51

That rope trick is probably ,more of a prayer technique than anything else. Snakes are aware and sometimes some prayer type energy with keep them at bay.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsors