Bounty Hunter VLF

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
Hey everyone,

I purchased a BH VLF detector today for $20. I know they are a cheap grade, beginner style unit but I also read a ton of positive reviews online saying they are descent machines for not a lot of money. Now, spending just $20 I don't feel I made a bad purchase. Actually, this is my second detector that I have bought for twenty bucks (LOL). First one was and old but effective Whites Goldmaster 66TR which came with original hardcase, original manual, both coils, headphones, etc. It's a heavy old dinosaur with limited technology but I've found $$$ and other interesting items with it.
My question is does anyone have a BH "VLF" or know someone that does and what is the best thing (coin,relic,etc) that they have found with it? Unfortunately, I bought this today and it came up a hell of a thunderstorm. So, it is killing me not being able to get out there and try it out today. I have found many coins, some trash, old keys, etc in my yard here at my home with the Whites and I'm eager to swing back over these very same areas with the VLF. Just interested in how different the results will be going from the old "transmit/receive" technology to the "very low frequency" tech.

Bobby :headbang:

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi Bobby, The BH VLF is a basic "beep and dig" detector with a set ground balance. This is ok if it is set for your area, but what do you expect for $20 bucks. It should reach into the ground about six inches. The important thing is to have fun with it and try not to make the grass look like anyone was digging there when you are done. I use a screw driver as a probe to touch the coin and pop it out. Suggest you read all you can about detectors at the manufactures websites and read posts on this forum. :thumbsup:

Good Luck,
Sandman

OP
OP
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
:wink: Thanks Sandman, that's good advice. When I dig, I always cover my holes almost as if no one was ever there. I also pick up ground level trash around me as well as disposing of dug trash. I feel good about spending a total of $40 for two major label detectors such as White's & BH regardless of age and model. I love this hobby and have seen my brother "NovaTreasure" which is on the forum find many civil war relics as well as old silver coins, clad, etc.
I have already found a descent amount of clad and zincolns, 1 wheatie, some old keys, a small old bell, etc. The problem is I can't sleep at night knowing there is so much undetected earth out there :laughing7:.

Bobby

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Which Bounty Hunter VLF did you buy? A strictly VLF all-metal? Or a vlf-motion discriminator? or a VLF/TR?

If it is strictly a VLF all-metal (or if you were strictly asking about the VLF all-metal portion of a vlf/tr), then here's the comparison of that ....... to a 66TR:

A TR all-metal machine, like the 66TR, will reach about 5" deep on a coin sized target. It will have inherent discrimination to knock out small iron. But other than that, everything else sounds the same (foil, coins, etc...). And they do poorly in mineralized ground. In fact, there are some continental divide states, and soils, where all-metal TRs were totally useless. This is circa late '60s/early 1970s technology. Worked good for non-mineralized soils, and was a lot better than BFO's (more sensitive to smaller things, deeper seeking, etc...).

All metal VLF went deeper still (7 to 10" on a coin-sized target), and could be ground-balanced to go through any ground (assuming the user understood how to "ride the knob"). However, it had no inherent ability to knock out iron, like the TR all-metal did. Thus, iron comes through loud and clear (although you can make assumptions based on double beeps, etc...)

So let us know which Bounty Hunter you have, and the title/label of the controls, so a better comparison can be made.

OP
OP
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Tom_in_CA,

It is simply showing Bounty Hunter VLF detector on the actual unit. It has a simple power/level control knob and a trash eliminator knob. I will try and post a picture of the exact detector.

Attachments

• bounty-hunter-vlf-metal-detector-vlf.jpg
    bounty-hunter-vlf-metal-detector-vlf.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 923

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
Ah, then what you have, is an extremely low end VLF discriminator. Still though, any VLF discriminator (even today's radio-shacks, etc...) will utterly spank a 66tr. Both from a depth perspective, and ability in minerals, ability to adjust disc. if needed, etc.... The only possible advantage a 66tr might have, is if you wanted to see through nails, in a nail-riddled ghost town or something. But it would have to be in non-mineralized ground, where depth wasn't an issue, and where you intend to dig every conductive target anyhow, and where small-iron abounds in a hard-pan like environment (under old wooden elevated porches, for example). Other than that, the vlf discriminator is the better unit.

But as I say, yours is a very low end VLF discriminator unit.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT said:
:wink: Thanks Sandman, that's good advice. When I dig, I always cover my holes almost as if no one was ever there. I also pick up ground level trash around me as well as disposing of dug trash. I feel good about spending a total of $40 for two major label detectors such as White's & BH regardless of age and model. I love this hobby and have seen my brother "NovaTreasure" which is on the forum find many civil war relics as well as old silver coins, clad, etc.
I have already found a descent amount of clad and zincolns, 1 wheatie, some old keys, a small old bell, etc. The problem is I can't sleep at night knowing there is so much undetected earth out there :laughing7:.

Bobby

Hey Bro, Cody told me you have been posting on here, sorry I haven't seen them until now. But you definitely have some good people from tnet giving advice :thumbsup:.

I am so glad that you are enjoying this hobby, it can be very addictive. There are quite a few people on here down around your area and hopefully someone will invite you on a hunt or give you some points of interest, they won't find a better or nicer person to help, period.

scroll down in the todays forum and checkout me and the kids little bottle hunt from yesterday, it was a very fun day.

Bill

Fletch88

Silver Member
Mar 7, 2013
Valdosta, GA
Detector(s) used
Garrett ATPro- 8.5x11, 5x8, CORS Fotune 5.5x9.5
Tesoro Silver microMax- 8 donut, 8x11 RSD, 3x18 Cleansweep
Minelab Excalibur ll- 10" Tornado
Minelab CTX 3030
Minelab Xterra 305
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Wish I had the support and camaraderie of my family and the few 'friends' I do have. NO, either they were self-centered old coots/new coots(LOL) that I had one or two times as partners in this hobby and/or no one else I know is even into it at least not around here. If there (are) those MD'ing around my area, they are, for the most part, in it for only themselves. I tell you Nova Treasure, count yourself VERY lucky you have a brother(no less) that's into this hobby as much as you and I are. You (are) very blessed. Heck, my whole family acts and treats me and my MD/bottle-hunting hobby like I was some moron who needs to be committed over these two 'stupid' hobbies in way of thinking. I have (repeatedly) asked someone in my family if they would maybe try it out at least (once) and they normally flat out turn me down or act like they are too busy or that this 'stupid' hobby is beneath them. Maybe I should just give up trying and no one else (outside of my family) is 'free enough'(lame excuse of course) to 'give it a go' either. You know it would be nice to meet someone one day who wouldn't make up excuses, not call you back and give you the cold shoulder, meet (when) they say, be a super nice, knowledgeable, enthusiastic, and (faithful; loyal) partner. Not just a user. It's not always enjoyable to hunt solo, (constantly) for some 23 years of this MD hobby of mine even though I occasionally (do) make some good finds once in a while. It gets pretty lonely out on your own swinging that coil alone and depressing when there's no one there to share your excitement and enthusiasm with. Well enough abt. my situation and hope you'all find luck and enjoyment in your ventures. Maybe a lot of my help to other beginners and/or 'down and outters' on other websites and forums (as well as this one) will reciprocate one day. And if not, well like the saying goes, 'all the more for me to find' not that I wouldn't share my places with a trusted partner but (also) like the saying goes, 'their (the world's) loss is our gain' and that's sooooooo true in MD'ing. They just don't realize what's in that ground so guys, lets go get it!!!!:hello2:

I would count this as a blessing! I get exactly the same kind of responses from friends, family, and coworkers. But the more I think about it, I'm glad they're not into the hobby, it would just be more competition or in some cases more negative exposure. Hunt alone and inconspicuously, then have comradery on here after the hunt!

SouthFLdigger

Mar 16, 2014
Pembroke Pines, Fl
Detector(s) used
Beach:Fisher CZ-20, Beach Hunter ID 9.5" Whites DFX, Minelab Safari and Excalibur 2.
Park and Turf: Teknetics Gamma 6000,Teknetics Delta 4000,Nokta Fors Core
Loaners:ACE-250 9x12 and 7x9.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The unit sold by Harbor Freight 9 function goes 7" on a quarter, pinpoints discriminates small iron well and is $35 it is the best value out there period. Those wanting to experiment or get kids started will love it :icon_thumleft:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread