All metal or discrimination

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
m bryan said:
What do you guys and gals prefer? I use mostly disc because of the noise of my md..........Is all metal actually better in most cases?

I use all metal mode simply because I don't want to risk missing anything. So, what if I have to dig some trash, makes for a cleaner Earth. :) . Also depending on your machine you might be able to adjust the sensitivity to cut down on the squelching sounds or feedback from your machine.

Bobby

savant365

Silver Member
Mar 28, 2007
Northwest Missouri
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
It completely depends on the site I am hunting. If it has very little modern trash I dig everything in all metal. In town with lots of foil and pop tops if I didn't use some discrimination I wouldn't cover more then 20 to 30 square feet in 4 to 5 hours.

HH Charlie

Woodland Detectors

Gold Member
Nov 23, 2008
Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Where there is little modern trash, I like to open the Etrac and Minelab GPX5000 right on up. I have dug relics in the woods in all metal, I might have passed right on over in Discrim mode.

Swartzie

Mar 15, 2009
Tuscarawas County, Ohio
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Tejon
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Depends on the site for me too. If it's a cellar hole then I'll discriminate out iron and dig everything above. Way, way too many iron bits and pieces around to "dig everything". If I'm relic hunting on a site with few targets then I'll run in all metal and dig it all. The Tejon in audible all metal mode is an awesome machine. It is a lot more sensitive to smaller stuff and will go deeper if I run it in all metal, but the site has to be fairly clean to do so.

-Swartzie

U.K. Brian

Bronze Member
Oct 11, 2005
Detector(s) used
XLT, Whites D.F., Treasure Baron, Deepstar, Goldquest, Beachscan, T.D.I., Sovereign, 2x Nautilus, various Arado's, Ixcus Diver, Altek Quadtone, T2, Beach Hunter I.D, GS 5 pulse, Searchman 2 ,V3i
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All metal gains the depth but costs you time unless you get a detector with a primary all metal search mode and discrimination by meter or audio operating at the same time (mixed mode).

With a metered version which in the past were ferrous/non ferrous only to get the maximum depth from the discrimination side, you missed nothing and would just glance at the meter to see which way its deflected. Target out of discrimination range then its just a case of scraping back an inch or two of soil until you do get an I.D. I still have an Arado of this type and it still outperforms many motion based detectors.

Or you could get a Nautilus DMC where you have full range discrimination. All metal signal goes to one ear and discrimination to the other so you get extra information from how the audio arrives at the headphones. Use at nail reject setting. If both signals arrive nearly in unison then its likely to be a higher conductivity target. All metal sounds long and louder before the motion discrimination signal and its likely to be large iron. All metal sounds just before the discrim. signal but both have about the same volume, the target is likely lead or brass.

Though all metal always was the deepest in the past on some sites with some motion machines you might be better to use the discrimination mode totally opened up to create an all metal motion mode in preference to just switching into the all metal non motion.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread