Digging in yards,school yards, parks in sandy/silt soil regions?

Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
:help: I used to live in Kentucky and the soil was good old compacted dirt with beautiful grass atop of that. So, when digging a find I would simply dig a plug and once I retrieved my target I would just place the plug right back to cover the spot I had just dug. You could literally walk behind me moments later and not know that I had breached the soil.
Now, my question is, and this may be more isolated toward the guys and girls that live or hunt is this terrain but I now reside in the great state of Florida. Yes, I know your first thought is boy I bet digging in that dry sand on the beach is a breeze and your right it is. However, off the beach while hunting other areas such as parks, school yards, yards, etc how do y'all dig through grass and sandy/silt ground conditions and cover your dig especially due to the fact there is a lot of sod and it seems once you dig in it's a lot harder on the wild grass (non-sodded) areas. :dontknow:

Thanks,
Bobby

smittyw

Jan 6, 2011
Dover, Fl
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
Here is what I have been doing in the Plant City area. It is a little cumbersome but so long as I am not trying to go into a really large hunt area it is not to bad. I found a plastic dish pan about 6-7 inches deep and bout a foot long(Wal Mart Stuff) and then realized that I had a sifter that I picked up at a rock and gem place in North Carolina several years ago that is made of wood and some 1/4" metal screen, so I started dragging this stuff along. I make it a point to wear work gloves and just cut the right thumb off so I can work the detector easily. If the target spot is in really good grass I will usually start the dig with small plant hole maker in instead of a trowel.

I will try to save the top plug of grass(if there is one) to the side and then put all the rest of the dirt I dig up into the sifter and let it fall or shake it into the pan until I either find the target or have found the target in the hole.

When done with the hole, I take the dirt in the pan and pour it back in the hole and shift any loose dirt around the hole back in and then re-install the top plug after tamping down the dirt. It has worked well for me and since I have not been able to afford a pin pointer yet, the sifter helps locate the target in the dirt I have taken out (usually a coin). If there are lose clippings or leaves around and the area is not manicured and really clean, I will spread some of the leave or grass litter over the spot and it is hard to tell that I dig was performed.

Hope this helps.

This has worked well in good black soil, sand and rocky areas.

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Carry a piece of cloth with you that is at least 12 X 12 or larger. when you cut your plug put it on the cloth. Then if you still have to take dirt out make sure you put it on the cloth. After you find your target pick up the plug set it aside and then take your cloth and dump the dirt back in to the hole then put in the plus stomp it down firm and you can not tell you was there. No loose dirt on the ground it all back in the hole......Matt

OP
OP
Lifes A Garden...Dig IT
Dec 12, 2010
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher Gold Bug DP, Fisher F19 LTD, Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett AT Pro Pointer, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, Lesche Ground Shark Shovel, 9.5x5.5 NEL Sharpshooter Coil (Safari), 9.5x
:) Thanks for the replies everyone that has responded so far.

Bobby

davest

Silver Member
Nov 5, 2007
somewhere between here and there, south of over th
Detector(s) used
titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
first pinpoint your target, take a long blade screwdriver, I use a 8" #1 phillips, push screwdriver in the ground until you feel the target, pop target out of the ground.

If you move the screwdriver around to stir up the soil, the grass will stay in place and you just have to foot tamp it to make it look good. Use a hand held pinpointer to locate target.

Do not cut big plugs in city park areas, there's nothing the folks living near them like to see more than someone pulling big piles of dirt out of their viewing areas than the police writing that person a ticket.

Sandman

Gold Member
Aug 6, 2005
In Michigan now.
Detector(s) used
Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them. New Garrett Ca
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
davest said:
first pinpoint your target, take a long blade screwdriver, I use a 8" #1 phillips, push screwdriver in the ground until you feel the target, pop target out of the ground.

If you move the screwdriver around to stir up the soil, the grass will stay in place and you just have to foot tamp it to make it look good. Use a hand held pinpointer to locate target.

Do not cut big plugs in city park areas, there's nothing the folks living near them like to see more than someone pulling big piles of dirt out of their viewing areas than the police writing that person a ticket.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread