Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

us
    Dec 2010
    Kentucky
    Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, & Other Accessories And Tools To Play In The Dirt With.
    51 times

Digging in yards,school yards, parks in sandy/silt soil regions?

I used to live in Kentucky and the soil was good old compacted dirt with beautiful grass atop of that. So, when digging a find I would simply dig a plug and once I retrieved my target I would just place the plug right back to cover the spot I had just dug. You could literally walk behind me moments later and not know that I had breached the soil.
    Now, my question is, and this may be more isolated toward the guys and girls that live or hunt is this terrain but I now reside in the great state of Florida. Yes, I know your first thought is boy I bet digging in that dry sand on the beach is a breeze and your right it is. However, off the beach while hunting other areas such as parks, school yards, yards, etc how do y'all dig through grass and sandy/silt ground conditions and cover your dig especially due to the fact there is a lot of sod and it seems once you dig in it's a lot harder on the wild grass (non-sodded) areas.

Thanks,
    Bobby

us
    Nov 2008
    Toll Free ~ 855~966~3563
    76 times
    Relic Hunting
    Banner Finds (1)
    Honorable Mentions (2)

Re: Digging in yards,school yards, parks in sandy/silt soil regions?

I honestly can't answer that, but I really respect your consideration and responsible detecting.

Thank You.

us
    Jan 2011
    Dover, Fl
    Garrett AT Pro, Bounty Hunter Cheapo
    81 times

Here is what I have been doing in the Plant City area. It is a little cumbersome but so long as I am not trying to go into a really large hunt area it is not to bad. I found a plastic dish pan about 6-7 inches deep and bout a foot long(Wal Mart Stuff) and then realized that I had a sifter that I picked up at a rock and gem place in North Carolina several years ago that is made of wood and some 1/4" metal screen, so I started dragging this stuff along. I make it a point to wear work gloves and just cut the right thumb off so I can work the detector easily. If the target spot is in really good grass I will usually start the dig with small plant hole maker in instead of a trowel.

I will try to save the top plug of grass(if there is one) to the side and then put all the rest of the dirt I dig up into the sifter and let it fall or shake it into the pan until I either find the target or have found the target in the hole.

When done with the hole, I take the dirt in the pan and pour it back in the hole and shift any loose dirt around the hole back in and then re-install the top plug after tamping down the dirt. It has worked well for me and since I have not been able to afford a pin pointer yet, the sifter helps locate the target in the dirt I have taken out (usually a coin). If there are lose clippings or leaves around and the area is not manicured and really clean, I will spread some of the leave or grass litter over the spot and it is hard to tell that I dig was performed.

Hope this helps.

This has worked well in good black soil, sand and rocky areas.
    Look, Seek and Find.

us
    Oct 2007
    Northern, OH
    DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
    89 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting
    Honorable Mentions (1)

Carry a piece of cloth with you that is at least 12 X 12 or larger. when you cut your plug put it on the cloth. Then if you still have to take dirt out make sure you put it on the cloth. After you find your target pick up the plug set it aside and then take your cloth and dump the dirt back in to the hole then put in the plus stomp it down firm and you can not tell you was there. No loose dirt on the ground it all back in the hole......Matt
    CRH 2014 find
    wheaties
    War Nickels
    Buffalo
    Mercs 4
    Rosie 6
    90% Kennedy
    Franklin
    Walkers
    40% halfs
    Detecting Finds
    Dollars
    Quarters `
    Silver Quarters
    Dimes
    Silver Dimes
    Nickels
    Pennies
    Wheaties
    rings

us
    Dec 2010
    Kentucky
    Minelab Safari, Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Pro Pointer, Lesche Digger, & Other Accessories And Tools To Play In The Dirt With.
    51 times

Thanks for the replies everyone that has responded so far.

Bobby

Nov 2007
    somewhere between here and there, south of over there but north of that place
    titan 3000xd/seahunter mk ll/Ace 250/whites 6000XL Pro
    310 times

first pinpoint your target, take a long blade screwdriver, I use a 8" #1 phillips, push screwdriver in the ground until you feel the target, pop target out of the ground.

If you move the screwdriver around to stir up the soil, the grass will stay in place and you just have to foot tamp it to make it look good. Use a hand held pinpointer to locate target.

Do not cut big plugs in city park areas, there's nothing the folks living near them like to see more than someone pulling big piles of dirt out of their viewing areas than the police writing that person a ticket.
    when you tug on a single thing in nature, you'll find it's connected to the rest of the world. John muir

Charter Member
    us
    Director-Search & Recovery Team of Oakland County.

Aug 2005
    In Michigan now.
    Excal 1000, Excal II, Sovereign GT, CZ-20, Tiger Shark, Tejon, GTI 1500, Surfmaster Pulse, CZ6a, DFX, AT PRO, Fisher 1235, Surf PI Pro, 1280-X, many more because I enjoy learning them.
    1960 times

Quote Originally Posted by davest
    first pinpoint your target, take a long blade screwdriver, I use a 8" #1 phillips, push screwdriver in the ground until you feel the target, pop target out of the ground.

If you move the screwdriver around to stir up the soil, the grass will stay in place and you just have to foot tamp it to make it look good. Use a hand held pinpointer to locate target.

Do not cut big plugs in city park areas, there's nothing the folks living near them like to see more than someone pulling big piles of dirt out of their viewing areas than the police writing that person a ticket.
    (C) Sandman, 2005. All Rights Reserved.
    "TIME IS THE ONLY THING YOU NEVER GET BACK, WHY WASTE IT SWINGING A DETECTOR THAT ISN'T UP TO THE TASK."

Home | Forum | Active Topics | What's New

Sponsors