Garrett Pro Pointer or VibraProbe 580?

oldcoon

Jul 10, 2010
Middletown, Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Spectrum XLT
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a new Garrett Pro Pointer in the box. Never used it. I also have a Harbor Freight pointer that I used maybe 3 times. It helped me find 2 coins.

I am really not a pin pointer guy. When I started detecting there was no such thing so I've always gotten by without one. I just grab off hands full of loose dirt and pass 'em over the coil till something beeps.

Works a lot faster for me, but to each his own. A lot of guys seem to like those Garrett models.

I suppose it goes a lot of where you hunt too. If you hunt those tot lots what are carpeted with wood chips you might find acids and saps leeching from the chips stain the coins and goodies making them hard to spot. I would not know much about that anymore that where most folk don't know where a raccoon goes to the bathroom but I do and I'll not get into that here except to say if you feel you need a pin pointer then go out and get one.

I think its a case of you pays your money and takes your choice.

That Garrett pin pointer works real good for finding nails in studs. I had to test it of course. I mean like would you want a gallon of a ice cream in a flavor you never tasted before? I think not.

Al Czervik

Apr 23, 2010
Detector(s) used
Teknetics® Delta 4000
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I enjoy inline probes ... they just seem to work best.

In my BOUNTY HUNTER days the BH probe was OK ...

I do miss the Quick Draw II ... :'(

~ Al

Dano Sverige

Silver Member
Aug 10, 2009
SWEDEN
Detector(s) used
(on the dry)Minelab ETRAC, backup x-terra 305.(in the wet ) Minelab Excalibur II
Garrett...i never move without mine! :icon_thumright:

Westfront

Silver Member
Jun 15, 2010
Germania Secunda
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
XP Deus
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Dano Sverige said:
Garrett...i never move without mine! :icon_thumright:

Me too! :icon_thumleft:
Two weeks ago i found a cache with 162 coins. All were just under the surface on about 3 sq.ft.. It took me 1 1/2 hours to get them all, working with the Garrett and a knive. Wouldnt imagine digging them all with using the "hand over the coil system".
Im in MDing for over 20 years and dont know how i managed this without a PP.
I tested some before buying the Garrett. Its first choice. Sturdy, with vibration and light... The other i can advise is the GPP. German product. Big, expensive and overkill. You can attach it to a broomstick and leave Your detector at home... :tongue3: http://www.eifelsucher.de/GPP-Pinpointer.htm

mlayers

Gold Member
Oct 29, 2007
Northern, OH
Detector(s) used
DFX, White PI, Bounty Hunter, Whites Surfmaster II and Excalibur II
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have not used a VibraProbe but I have the Garrett Pro I do not leave home without it. It has helped my find coins that was still deeper then my plug. I think it is the best one I have ever had.....Matt

Wes-N-VA

Nov 9, 2008
Southeast Virginia
Detector(s) used
The XP Deus
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Garreet Pro all the way. I have had mine for two years and love it. I have gone through the white's bullseye and the auto max. I would not leave home without my Garrett pinpointer. Hope this helps!

Wes

paul of Penna

Feb 1, 2011
PA
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Eldorado umax
Garrett AT PRO
Vibrapaobe Pinpointer
Whites Classic III
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I haven't used the Garrett, but guys seem to like it. I have my original VP and would not be without it.
In my opinion, a "pinpointer" should pinpoint, not just detect several inches into the soil, on all sides.
My VP only detects on the tip, and only about an inch away, so I can "pinpoint" my target easily.
If you need a pinpointer that has so much "reach", maybe your detecting technique could stand some improvement. As far as going detecting without a pinpointer and passing handfulls of dirt over the coil, I think that wastes alot of time. (not to mention the mess it makes unless you keep all the dirt crumbs on a towel or ground cloth)
I dig a horseshoe flap, fold back and put dirt on cloth. Pinpoint, and refill.......
Just my humble opinion, and it works well for me!
Paul

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions