DD and butterfly coils, do they pinpoint well?

stevemc

Bronze Member
Feb 12, 2005
Sarasota, FL
Detector(s) used
Whites Surfmaster PI Pro and Whites Surfmaster PI, Minelab Excal NY blue sword. 2 White's Dual field pi, Garrett sea hunter pi II (but don't use it for obvious reasons) 5' x 3 1/2' coil underwater Pi
Primary Interest:
Shipwrecks
Thinking of getting a bigger coil, and want to know if a DD or butterfly coil pinpoints as well as a regular round coil. I have been using PIs, and mainly wetsand (saltwater) and shallow water wading to deeper diving, using a regular round coil, and can pinpoint easily and scoop my target with no problem. Will I have problems pinpointing? This will be for a Minelab Excal. Mainly wetsand and shallow wading in saltwater. Thanks in advance, Steve.

deepskyal

Bronze Member
Aug 17, 2007
Natrona Heights, Pa.
Detector(s) used
White's Coinmaster 6000 Di Series 3, Minelab Eq 600
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have a 5" and a 10" DD. Both are round and I have no trouble pinpointing with either. Same as a reg. circular one.
The butterfly shaped has a specific pinpoint area also. Couple times use and you'll find it.

Al

Frankn

Gold Member
Mar 21, 2010
Maryland
Detector(s) used
XLT , surfmaster PI , HAYS 2Box , VIBRA-TECTOR
DD coils do not pinpoint as well as concentric " standard round" coils.
The concentric has the "sweet spot" in the center while the DD actually has two "sweet spots" which complicates things. The DD has a slightly wider scan area for the same size, but it actually will not go as deep as the same size concentric.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions